• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe | OT | New Year, New U

Who's the best player character?

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
I saw it was 1920x1080 which tempted me, but I’m now able to easily resist after loading a video and listening to that horrible music.

Oct 25, 2017
I’m in.

I also bought the NES controllers because I’m a consumer whore. Maybe I can get my girlfriend to play co-op.

Terraforce

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to try it for myself, but yeah looking kinda yikes. Which sucks because you could really get a good rhythm down and really speed through levels if you got the timing of your jump down. Being forced into spinning can easily mess that up.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I mean, get better at the game? I dunno if it's fickle or something but demanding precision in controls isn't asking a lot for a hardcore mode.
It's not just a "hardcore" mode, it's a universal problem in NSMBUDX that didn't exist in the previous version, or any mainline 2D Mario in its entire history. It's punishing you now for performing an action a frame or two early when that clearly isn't the intended behavior and has ramifications beyond what the video shows, such as timing a high-bounce from a short hop. The video just happened to be a particularly apt example

Terraforce

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, get better at the game? I dunno if it's fickle or something but demanding precision in controls isn't asking a lot for a hardcore mode.
Gotta love people excusing poor controls. That form of difficulty is artificial at best, and clearly not intentional by design.

Oct 27, 2017
So can you rebind controls to fix this or...

...Why am I asking this, it's a Nintendo game, your lucky enough to even get a decent option menu with them at times. Arms had to patch in control options post launch.

I just saw this in my twitter feed too, but I'm not sure what is happening exactly? How does this relate to the twirl jump button mapping?

To me it just looks like he hits that pillar and then doesn't jump again.
To triple jump, you need to hit A as you hit the ground from your prior jump, this will give you a higher jump (and in this challenge, it will arc you into the coins for the challenge as you keep running), you also want to hold the A button down for maximum height, otherwise you will do a shorter version of the hop.

What's happening here pressing a button early (Which in previous games would have a little bit of a buffer and allow you to go into the Triple Jump right away when you hit the ground.) is now causing the mid-air twirl instead, keeping you in the air longer and more importantly not giving you the triple jump, and you don't have time to react to the twirl, let go of jump and press again before you hurtle off the cliff.

Something that should have been caught in QA. And would be solvable if it was a menu toggle or control setting (like Tap Jumps or Tilts on Sticks in Smash)

To triple jump, you need to hit A as you hit the ground from your prior jump, this will give you a higher jump (and in this challenge, it will arc you into the coins for the challenge as you keep running), you also want to hold the A button down for maximum height, otherwise you will do a shorter version of the hop.

What's happening here pressing a button early (Which in previous games would have a little bit of a buffer and allow you to go into the Triple Jump right away when you hit the ground.) is now causing the mid-air twirl instead, keeping you in the air longer and more importantly not giving you the triple jump, and you don't have time to react to the twirl, let go of jump and press again before you hurtle off the cliff.

Something that should have been caught in QA. And would be solvable if it was a menu toggle or control setting (like Tap Jumps or Tilts on Sticks in Smash)
Ok thanks for the explainer. That is super bogus and hype-dampening.

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Can't wait. Already have it pre-loaded. Didn't play it on the WiiU so the stuff people are complaining about hopefully won't bug me as much.

Nabbit is gonna be perfect for my 4 year old to play along.

jedivulcan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Caved and pre-loaded. Had some holiday funds leftover and it's also $48 through Amazon Japan digitally. Got the original game on Wii U for free during a 2014 Club Nintendo offer. I guess Nintendo finally got my money for the game.

I'll definitely play it through to 100% completion. Mario games are my chill games. Smash Bros. is my nerve wrecker. There's some balance now.

Dec 21, 2018
I wish they changed the horrendous soundtrack and removed the wah wah. Those two things killed my enjoyment of the game. I got sick of them.

This is maybe the worst music and sound design Nintendo has created in all its history.

I admit the challenge mode looks very good to me... but I’m not paying 60 for this again.

Maybe this will sell millions ... despite that I hope this is the last we know of the “new” series... and I hope we get the gorgeous 3D World someday.
Yeah, man we really need a 3D World port. That game is honestly kinda underrated and I wish they ported that before NSMBU

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
IMO, this is the best 2D platformer Nintendo has ever released (I like it more than any of the DKC games & more than Mario Maker) and having a portable version is awfully tempting. On the other hand, I already own it on the Wii U so unless my disk breaks, I probably won't be rebuying it. But I highly recommend it to anyone who likes 2D platformers and hasn't played it before.

Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
So uh...

Peach actually gives Toadette a kiss like the rest of the characters at the end of the game, so i guess she's canonically Biromantic now?

I'm also a bit concerned at the fact Nabbit is watching.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Picked it up today locally. I remember playing this on the Wii U, but don’t remember anything about it so it’ll feel fresh. Also never ended up picking up NSLU, so that will be completely new.

Jan 10, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Information
Yellow Toad is referred to as simply Toad. However, the player can switch from Yellow Toad to Blue Toad by pressing L or ZL while choosing the said playable character.

Source: https://www.mariowiki.com/New_Super_Mario_Bros._U_Deluxe
Yeah, here's a video showing that. I have no idea why Nintendo wanted to hide Blue Toad from us until release, but here he is!

Hopefully that means that two separate people can play as the two Toads (so that no one is stuck on easy mode).

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wait, they changed it? Can't you re-map it? What if you play with a Pro controller?
You just know it was implemented so that the NES controllers would work...
Nintendo likes to gimp their Mario games towards the lowest common denominator without options when it comes to controls (see 3d World, Odyssey).

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
You just know it was implemented so that the NES controllers would work...
Nintendo likes to gimp their Mario games towards the lowest common denominator without options when it comes to controls (see 3d World, Odyssey).
The NES controllers still have the shoulder buttons though. I think Nintendo just wanted to simplify the controls across the board, but in the process made it trickier for those used to the games

IMO, this is the best 2D platformer Nintendo has ever released (I like it more than any of the DKC games & more than Mario Maker) and having a portable version is awfully tempting. On the other hand, I already own it on the Wii U so unless my disk breaks, I probably won't be rebuying it. But I highly recommend it to anyone who likes 2D platformers and hasn't played it before.
im glad some people are saying this. it really is such an amazing game and people who have not played it need to do it.

Oct 27, 2017
Not played the Wii U version so i kind of want this version however i am a little dissapointed in some of the changes they have made and they could have put a bit more effort into the gfx. Some of the stages could use some simple blur, fog and other fancy effects to give them a new coat of paint.

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

Damn that sounds like a big deal, didn't initially realize how it would affect your next jump buffer. I suppose it will also be an issue when trying to stomp enemies and get a boost jump.

I wasn't buying day one anyway but now I know I'm not buying at all if they don't add disable option.