• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's the best player character?

• Mario

Votes: 307 40.9%
  • Luigi

Votes: 189 25.2%
  • Toad

Votes: 63 8.4%
  • Toadette

Votes: 166 22.1%
  • Nabbit

Votes: 71 9.5%

• Total voters

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome game, I was surprised at how much I ended enjoying it and IMHO it really gives SMW a run for its money as the best 2D Mario. 200% recommended if you haven´t played it.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
It is possible to play 4 players with the four players playing as Mario, Luigi, Toadette, and Nabbit?

I'd like to play this game with my sister and parents but my parents would have to be Toadette and Nabbit. Can Nabbit and Toadette both be played at once?

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Double dipping to have a chance to play couch co-op with my 6 year old. She was an infant when the original came out and I've long since sold my Wii U.

Also Todette is the best since she's also Peach who made Super Mario 3D World and should have been in it from the start.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Threw this together really quickly:

For anyone on the fence about buying the Switch version, here's a few extra things to consider:

Load times:

Wii U internal storage vs. Switch internal storage = The Switch is ~2 seconds slower loading Acorn Plains-1 as Mario.

Another Odd Control Choice:

Can't unpause the game by tapping the "+" button again after pausing. The Wii U version allowed this. Must hit "+" to pause and one of the face buttons to unpause.

The big one: Input latency. This might explain why GameXplain took up some issue with the jump spin being mapped to the jump button. The response time seemed longer on Switch.

Wait are you serious? There's more input latency? How is something like that not seen and prioritized as one of the most vital aspects of a platformer? Did they put their B team on this one?

Oct 27, 2017
So do I have this right? When you're coming down from a jump and want to jump again and press A/B, the game thinks you want to twirl and will twirl the character. But if you wait for a small moment, it will think you want to jump so you can jump again, but by the time that moment is passed, you cannot time the jump properly?

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
So do I have this right? When you're coming down from a jump and want to jump again and press A/B, the game thinks you want to twirl and will twirl the character. But if you wait for a small moment, it will think you want to jump so you can jump again, but by the time that moment is passed, you cannot time the jump properly?
I've played the Deluxe version for 15+ hours and never ran into anything like this.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
I don't understand the load times at all. The Switch should have the Wii U beaten. MK8D, BotW, and Tropical Freeze all beat out their Wii U counterparts by a decent margin in all of the tests I've sen.

The input latency is something I'm going to have to revisit and test again w/ a steady table and camera mount. From the two hours I played, it just felt slightly heavier on the Switch. Some of it could be attributed to the button travel or something else. It's debatable given how close the two versions are if it's even perceptible in gameplay or I'm losing my mind. The footage shows the Switch having an infinitesimally smaller amount of delay. Based on me trying to capture 720p/240 from an iPhone SE in one hand while balancing a controller on my knee.
Gotcha. Would be nice to see the frame comparison with a more steady setup. It doesn't look like a huge difference on your video, but still kinda unacceptable.

Deleted member 21124

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there an assist mode or something like the one found in Mario Odyssey, or is Toadette the only real help for younger players? Was thinking about buying and playing this with my soon to be 4 year old son, but it might be a bit too challenging?! He's playing SMO just fine, though.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an assist mode or something like the one found in Mario Odyssey, or is Toadette the only real help for younger players? Was thinking about buying and playing this with my soon to be 4 year old son, but it might be a bit too challenging?! He's playing SMO just fine, though.
Nabbit. You can't get hurt by enemies playing as Nabbit. Perfect for small kids.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I just swapped out my Joy-Con L case for a d-pad variant.

I'm ready!

By the way, does this version of the game rely on ZR / ZL for anything? I also want to dry playing with my 8bitdo SNES controller, but it doesn't have triggers so it loses compatibility with some games like Tropical Freeze.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Come on Nintendo me and the wife are naked in bed and can't figure out what to do now that this isn't unlocked

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So after about a few minutes playing on the NES controller I went to a pro controller lol. I just didn't feel right.

Oct 27, 2017
This game just feels so plain and uninspired after playing games like Celeste. I don't regret my purchase, I just wish it took more chances with level design and controls. Not sure why they made hitting jump again the way to spin when R still does that. Hopefully a patch will allow us to turn that off.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat World 1 and encountered issues with the spin jump a grand total of zero times. On the contrary, I felt it gave me an extra degree of control over my jumps (playing in handheld mode in bed.)

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
IMO, this is the best 2D platformer Nintendo has ever released (I like it more than any of the DKC games & more than Mario Maker) and having a portable version is awfully tempting. On the other hand, I already own it on the Wii U so unless my disk breaks, I probably won't be rebuying it. But I highly recommend it to anyone who likes 2D platformers and hasn't played it before.
I agree with this. They're both great game, but DKCTF feels a bit more repetitive with its gameplay and levels overstay their welcome. NSMBU keeps ideas moving and keeps them at a good length. And Mario Maker is a great play create share game, but it's awful for making legit Mario levels.
Just beat World 1 and encountered issues with the spin jump a grand total of zero times. On the contrary, I felt it gave me an extra degree of control over my jumps (playing in handheld mode in bed.)
It's not a new move. In the original it was mapped to the shoulder buttons so there was no chance of making a wrong input.

This game just feels so plain and uninspired after playing games like Celeste. I don't regret my purchase, I just wish it took more chances with level design and controls. Not sure why they made hitting jump again the way to spin when R still does that. Hopefully a patch will allow us to turn that off.
Keep playing. Every level has unique gimmicks and there are over 90 of them. It has easily the best level design of any 2D Mario.

It's actually pretty impressive how well the levels are designed to appeal to such a wide skill range. If you ever made a level in Mario Maker you may know how hard that is.

Last edited:

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this. They're both great game, but DKCTF feels a bit more repetitive with its gameplay and levels overstay their welcome. NSMBU keeps ideas moving and keeps them at a good length. And Mario Maker is a great play create share game, but it's awful for making legit Mario levels.

It's not a new move. In the original it was mapped to the shoulder buttons so there was no chance of making a wrong input.
I know. Just saying I haven't run into issues with it being mapped to the jump button and find it more comfortable than using the shoulder buttons.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Ugh, only just got out of Acorn Plains and I already feel so comfortable and cozy. The New Super Mario Bros. series is just the best video game comfort food.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
I so want to play through this again, but ouch 60 bucks. I never did play the Luigi stuff, is it worth it for the double dip if you never played the DLC?

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Okay, this game is actually cheaper here in Japan! I guess that seals it. I love 2D Mario, I skipped the original release, and I get a geographical discount.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Just did the first few couple of levels and first time playing it. Really enjoying it, feels like there is alot here. And havent had any issues yet with latency or the twirl yet, maybe in later levels but it seems fine.

movieclub

Jan 3, 2019
Ok, played for 2 hours having a blast. I do not understand people complaining about the art or that it is bland. My first impression is that it is Odyssey level aesthetic in its own form. I was playing Mario Run all day while waiting, that for comparison is bland.

I will say the music wah thing is annoying. Listening to GFW Radio instead.

Also, I am not finding this overly easy. Actually died many times at the last castle in both worlds and when I restarted I had to redo multiple levels. I am saying this as someone that just beat DKTF on normal Donkey mode last week, although needless to say I died a bunch there too XD

So far biggest standout moment was playing as Peach in a dark level and finding a glowing Yoshi that could seemingly absorb fire help guide me.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I cannot for the life of me figure out where that latency is supposed to be, it feels like the travel is definitely different for the buttons on the Joycons compared to the Gamepad but that's it, everything still feels incredibly responsive and 1 to 1.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Not played the Wii U version so i kind of want this version however i am a little dissapointed in some of the changes they have made and they could have put a bit more effort into the gfx. Some of the stages could use some simple blur, fog and other fancy effects to give them a new coat of paint.

Why would they want to add blur to this game?