• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's the best player character?

• Mario

Votes: 307 40.9%
  • Luigi

Votes: 189 25.2%
  • Toad

Votes: 63 8.4%
  • Toadette

Votes: 166 22.1%
  • Nabbit

Votes: 71 9.5%

• Total voters

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I know, but it seems like Nintendo liked that idea. Even though Super Mario Run is only one big button to play it.

Man, if that's really what happened then that's so dumb, they've been consistent up till now making sure that inputs were simple and clear. (when they're not motion gestures, anyway)

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt I'll buy it just yet, but my experience of playing it on the Wii U led me to believe that it's the best 2D Mario - and by extension the greatest 2D platformer - ever created. It's a shame that the previous NSMB games led to a bit of franchise fatigue, because it's so much better. Even the art, while similar, improves leaps and bounds over its predecessors for a far more visually appealing game.

I can understand why this sparsely upgraded port isn't exactly drawing raves, but it's a shame that the perception of the game itself as an uninspired fourth entry to a series that didn't need one persists in some circles.

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018
No problems with jump/spin in the same button, actually prefer it.

And one of the reviews mentioned you been forced to play as Peachette or Nabbit with 4 players, but you aren't. You choose which character (Mario, Luigi, Yellow Toad, Blue Toad, Toadette, Nabbit).

EDIT:
Oh, yeah. Tried at the same time and no dice. Sorry for jumping the gun.

Last edited:

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
And one of the reviews mentioned you been forced to play as Peachette or Nabbit with 4 players, but you aren't. You choose which character (Mario, Luigi, Yellow Toad, Blue Toad, Toadette, Nabbit).

People had said you couldn't pick both Blue Toad and Yellow Toad at the same time. So that's not true, you can?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Trying to decide if I want to get this, I can't stand the music but I think my wife would enjoy the game.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Okay, this video confirms you can not play with both Yellow Toad and Blue Toad together in multiplayer. So nothing has changed, someone will need to be Toadette or Nabbit.

Darksaberx

Jun 13, 2018
Tried the first levels. Really liked it.
Wife managed to get past the first level without any problems so we will be playing co-op in the evening.

Really hoping that I won't drop the game half way through as I did with DK.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Just reminding everyone that the jump button being used again for a spin comes from the implementation in Super Mario Run.
I think moreso than that, it comes from most gamers not being able to handle such "complex" controls. Mario Maker taught us most players don't even know there's a run button, or that you don't have to let go of the run button to jump. Make a level in Mario Maker that requires the twirl and it will be Super Expert.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Okay so I'm halfway through World 1 and so far...

- I've played a LOT of Super Mario Run recently and the mini spin jump added onto the standard jump button isn't a problem at all for me.

- I'm missing the auto-climb from Super Mario Run. In that if Mario touches a block he auto climbs it. Here, as usual, he slides down it. It was a nice feature in SMR.

- For wall jumps you have to wait for Mario's "clinging" animation before performing the wall jump. This was much simplified in SMR again.

So Super Mario Run did bring a couple of useful bits with it. I played through New U on the Wii U when it first came out but haven't revisited it until now on Switch.

Also, is the loading/transitions between screens longer on Switch now?

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Ok, played for 2 hours having a blast. I do not understand people complaining about the art or that it is bland. My first impression is that it is Odyssey level aesthetic in its own form. I was playing Mario Run all day while waiting, that for comparison is bland.

I will say the music wah thing is annoying. Listening to GFW Radio instead.
Thank you! Some times I feel like I'm being weird for liking the aesthetics of the game. Sure there is room for more but in the end the approach works and for the Mario gameplay I believe the simpler approach works better.

I am still the weird kind that enjoyed the music though :P

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
does it still have that annoying questsions "do you wish to save yes/no" and "Game Saved" popup after each castle?

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
So excited to play this later...booted it up before I left for work, and the menu music alone put a huge smile on my face.

Something about Mario games...I don't even like most other platformers!

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Will probably pick this up this weekend along with the Vesperia remaster.

Really excited to dig back into this - seems like the perfect Switch title to play on the train into work. I owned the Wii U version but don't really have a lot of memory of it. I think it just came out at a time that I was busy and I just never got around to putting much time into it. Excited to revisit.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I only made it into World 2 in NSMB2, so I've been playing that this week. Really enjoying it, too. I think people see this as the weakest. So that makes me look forward to U Deluxe a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
Very, VERY early impressions since I only played 1-1 before going into work, but I forgot how much I like this game. Controls well, the level design is solid, and despite the tired art style it doesn't look bad.

Music sucks, there's no way around it. Just the same midi garbage that's been in these NSMB games forever. I'd argue it's the part of the aesthetic that's aged the worst. Gonna play this with some of my own music blaring on my speaker at home instead.

Jump button to twirl doesn't bother me too much from my time testing it out. I used ZR to pull it off more often than not and that generally feels better. Haven't accidentally bumped the jump button on accident. But I still don't like the change much.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I only made it into World 2 in NSMB2, so I've been playing that this week. Really enjoying it, too. I think people see this as the weakest. So that makes me look forward to U Deluxe a lot.
NSMB2 is the rote and by the numbers sequel that bystanders seem to accuse NSMBU of being. But it's not like it's a bad game or anything.

You might get a little burnout playing it back to back, but you'll be able to see U's more unique ideas in a better light coming off of NSMB2.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Absolutely loving this game, I'm actually glad I didn't play it on WiiU, lol. 2D Mario is just one of my favorite things in gaming.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so torn on whether or not to get this.

I haven't played it since I got my Wii U. I loathe the NSMB series on principle, but the gameplay and level design in this entry is undeniable. I'd love to revisit those elements and give this game a fresh look detached from the Wii U launch disappointment/proximity to NSMB 2.

On the other hand, I forced myself to listen to the NSMB U soundtrack on YouTube a couple days ago just to see if it's as bad as I remembered. It was somehow worse.

Blah. It's amazing how music and art design can decimate the status of a game from "masterpiece" to "mediocre." But I'm still tempted to buy.
Don't buy it. Spend money on something you really really want. $60 is a lot to waste on something you won't completely enjoy.

That said, I think the artstyle complaints are a bit overrexaggerated.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
It most definitely is for me, I played two years ago, can't even remember if I made it to final castle. It was fun but very forgettable, as if it wasn't a Nintendo game.