• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's the best player character?

• Mario

Votes: 307 40.9%
  • Luigi

Votes: 189 25.2%
  • Toad

Votes: 63 8.4%
  • Toadette

Votes: 166 22.1%
  • Nabbit

Votes: 71 9.5%

• Total voters

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Mine will be delivered today. I only paid $13 through Best Buy for it but would have spent $60 on it. And this is after owning the Wii U one and Luigi U as well.

I'm part of the "problem" but it's fun for multiplayer nights so I'll definitely get my money's worth out of it either way.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah they really need to give us an option to disable spin being the same as jump cause this shit ain't it.

DannyVice

Oct 25, 2017
I never played any of the New Super Mario bros games and i'm a bit intrigued, do you guys think it's worth the price?

I also just put down Mario Galaxy because i really despise playing on the WiiU with the sensor bar and such (Don't crucify me!). I love the game just want to pray for a Switch port first, and this looks more intriguing for me since it's on the Switch which i love!

Edit: Also i kinda wanna play it Solo! If that's a bad mistake on my part?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I never played any of the New Super Mario bros games and i'm a bit intrigued, do you guys think it's worth the price?

I also just put down Mario Galaxy because i really despise playing on the WiiU with the sensor bar and such (Don't crucify me!). I love the game just want to pray for a Switch port first, and this looks more intriguing for me since it's on the Switch which i love!
If the aesthetic and music isn't a dealbreaker for you, it's worth a shot. If you've watched gameplay of a few levels and detest it, then you might want to avoid the game since it doesn't get better.

DannyVice

Oct 25, 2017
If the aesthetic and music isn't a dealbreaker for you, it's worth a shot. If you've watched gameplay of a few levels and detest it, then you might want to avoid the game since it doesn't get better.

The aesthic and music looks killer for me, more thinking about the value in price for the package? I guess if i already played it on WiiU it wouldn't be worth it. But since im new to the series it looks valuable at least.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. Twirl on jump button is garbage. Really puts a stain on that otherwise perfect 2D platformer gameplay.
Completely baffling to have such a design decision by Nintendo in their premier genre.

Oct 27, 2017
I dont have my Switch with me to check, but does anyone know if they awarded the extra 3 dollars in gold coins to people who preordered yet?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
The aesthic and music looks killer for me, more thinking about the value in price for the package? I guess if i already played it on WiiU it wouldn't be worth it. But since im new to the series it looks valuable at least.
If it's brand new to you, it's a hard deal to beat. NSMBU is already a meaty game, and NSLU adds a ton of creative new content with the original game's assets and was meaty enough to be sold standalone for a time, and that's before getting into the crazy challenge modes which add new content on top of that.

The biggest issue with the game is its presentation, so if you've got no issues with it I'd say to absolutely pick it up when you can.

DannyVice

Oct 25, 2017
If it's brand new to you, it's a hard deal to beat. NSMBU is already a meaty game, and NSLU adds a ton of creative new content with the original game's assets and was meaty enough to be sold standalone for a time, and that's before getting into the crazy challenge modes which add new content on top of that.

The biggest issue with the game is its presentation, so if you've got no issues with it I'd say to absolutely pick it up when you can.

Sounds great! Just bought it then :) Just curious what does people have against it's presentation?

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
So yeah they really need to give us an option to disable spin being the same as jump cause this shit ain't it.

Holy shit. Twirl on jump button is garbage. Really puts a stain on that otherwise perfect 2D platformer gameplay.
Completely baffling to have such a design decision by Nintendo in their premier genre.

I don't understand... why is this an issue?

My only experience with the NSMB series is Super Mario Run (if you even count that lol) and tapping was both jump and twirl in that, which I thought worked fine. Why would you be pressing jump when you're already in the air otherwise? Genuine question since I didn't play any of the handheld, Wii, or Wii U games.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand... why is this an issue?

My only experience with the NSMB series is Super Mario Run (if you even count that lol) and tapping was both jump and twirl in that, which I thought worked fine. Why would you be pressing jump when you're already in the air otherwise? Genuine question since I didn't play any of the handheld, Wii, or Wii U games.
That is literally a game where you are only moving forward and jump is the only action you have. I don't honestly understand why you think it shouldn't be an issue with performing triple jumps and having to actually time the landing on the enemies to bounce high off of them(which the main problem I have)

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
That is literally a game where you are only moving forward and jump is the only action you have. I don't honestly understand why you think it shouldn't be an issue with performing triple jumps and having to actually time the landing on the enemies to bounce high off of them(which the main problem I have)

I think I see what you're getting at... it sounds like in the previous NSMB games you had a more lenient window to bounce high off enemies because you could press jump a little earlier than needed and it would still register as bouncing off the enemy, whereas in this game if you mistime it (by pressing jump too early) you'll spin?

Slightly related, I think the parallels between this and Mario Run's controls aren't as far-fetched as you think. They both use the same "button" for both jump and spin, and both games have a mechanic where if you press that "button" right as you land on enemy you'll get a height boost. The fact that you're permanently moving forward in Mario Run or have some other (non-jump, non-twirl) buttons in NSMBU Deluxe doesn't change that.

Nov 18, 2017
oooofff, with some actually meaningful additions i may have been tempted to double dip.
Its actually missing some content too. yikes. although tbf ill shed no tears over boost mode.

Bayo 1 + 2 are probably still my most underwhelming Switch ports for now, because atleast this & tropical freeze get a resolution bump to go with their Funky Kongs.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Halfway through World 1. Gameplay is delightful as expected but I'm disappointed with the graphics. Mario looks jagged. Guess I was expecting a visual upgrade

philz

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a long time since I played NSMBU but does input seem kind of laggy on the Switch? May have to pull out my Wii U to compare...

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Sounds great! Just bought it then :) Just curious what does people have against it's presentation?
The visual style and sound design of the series hasn't changed in any meaningful way since NSMB on DS, and while it was a decent enough throwback then, it's just become grating over time. NSMBU doesn't do anything particularly special on that front, and the few new compositions it has are... not great.

But if you haven't been following the series from the start, it's probably just inoffensive at worst.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Okay, this video confirms you can not play with both Yellow Toad and Blue Toad together in multiplayer. So nothing has changed, someone will need to be Toadette or Nabbit.

I would hope the first patch they do for this game would

1) allow you to select Blue Toad as a separate character (ensuring NSMBU at least puts players on even footing - disabling the new abilities for NSLU would help too, or at least allowing you to toggle this)
2) toggle the spin jump control

Seems like those are the two most prominent complaints that would also be ridiculously easy to fix.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
One slight thing that irked me was that Super Mario World showed you red dots on levels with secret exits, but this game does no such thing. It can make it a pain to search, and some of them are really quite hidden so you might never consider searching in that level much. So here, under spoilers, is the list of levels which contain a secret exit. It does not tell you what the secret exit is, just that a level has one.

Acorn Plains 2
Layer-Cake Desert 4
Sparkling Waters Ghost House
Frosted Glacier Ghost House
Soda Jungle 2
Soda Jungle Ghost House
Soda Jungle 4
Soda Jungle 5
Rock Candy Mines 5
Rock Candy Mines Tower
Meringue Cloud Ghost House
Peach's Castle 1

Oct 27, 2017
Never owned a Wii U so im playing this for the first time. Played a little a bit ago, and did a few levels. Overall im loving it, but i echo the statements of many of you in that the "Ooh Ooh Ah Ah" music has run its course and needs to die.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Already #4 on US eShop (remains to be seen whether it will be able to defeat eShop juggernauts such as Smash, Mario Kart, and Bouncy Bob) and #3 best seller on Amazon in Video Games (#1 if you ignore the Switch accessories and gift cards.)

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
NSMBU is an odd game where it gets more fun every time I play it, lol.

This is a beautiful remaster, but I agree: they should give us an option to remap the spin jump to another button. I find myself avoiding triple jumps and being overly cautious because it's too easy to accidentally do a spin-jump and fall to your doom instead.

In general, frame-perfect inputs are a pain in videogames.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
I finally bit on this, I got a £5 off voucher as I Built up points ages ago so ended up ordering it for £37.99 instead of the £42.99 it was listed as.

Free delivery so estimated up to next Friday before it arrives , but got tons to keep me busy.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This is the first SMB game where I've constantly ran afowl of the time limit. It's getting a tad annoying.
Although you have to accept the other ease of use additions for the characters, Toadette or Nabbit give you an additional 100 seconds of the time is running out.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe there's something that I'm missing here, but this game feels kinda bad. I picked Luigi because usually, he trades preciseness of landing spot for height and agility, but Luigi feels like he's running in fucking mud and his jumps get mediocre height. If Mario is a worse jumper, I can't imagine playing through this game with him. I'm only in Acorn Plains, so maybe I just need some time to adjust.

I admit that I haven't liked a 2D Mario game since the pre-DS days, so maybe I just don't like 2D Mario in the modern age. I did spend maybe an hour with Super Mario Maker at a kiosk, and those pre-made levels were okay. I have heard so much praise about NSMBU, so despite my extreme dislike of NSMB DS and Wii, I thought that I'd play this and see if they've improved on this line of 2D Mario games.

So far, I'm not sure. I do appreciate the way the level design in the first couple of worlds on Acorn Plains are clearly meant to introduce new/young players to core Mario moves like the butt stomp and some of the level design signatures that the rest of us take for granted. It's thoughtful in that way. The gameplay just feels icky right now.

(Also, this art direction...woof, I dunno.)

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Maybe there's something that I'm missing here, but this game feels kinda bad. I picked Luigi because usually, he trades preciseness of landing spot for height and agility, but Luigi feels like he's running in fucking mud and his jumps get mediocre height. If Mario is a worse jumper, I can't imagine playing through this game with him. I'm only in Acorn Plains, so maybe I just need some time to adjust.)

All the characters handle identically without power-ups (except swimming, in which Nabbit & Toadette control like the Penguin suit), so it seems you may just not like how NSMB handles. I'm not a huge fan of it either myself, but it's also the least of the game's issues.

You might want to try New Super Luigi U though, as the characters do jump higher and are a little slipper, which you might prefer (it's better than NSMBU in general as well)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
All the characters handle identically without power-ups (except swimming, in which Nabbit & Toadette control like the Penguin suit), so it seems you may just not like how NSMB handles. I'm not a huge fan of it either myself, but it's also the least of the game's issues.

You might want to try New Super Luigi U though, as the characters do jump higher and are a little slipper, which you might prefer

Huh, that's an interesting choice and not what I'd traditionally expect from a Mario platformer with Luigi in it. Thanks for the note.

The actual level design and the way that secrets are wedged into all sorts of spaces is well done so far; it's just the movement that doesn't thrill me personally when it comes to gameplay.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, that's an interesting choice and not what I'd traditionally expect from a Mario platformer with Luigi in it. Thanks for the note.

The actual level design and the way that secrets are wedged into all sorts of spaces is well done so far; it's just the movement that doesn't thrill me personally when it comes to gameplay.
Yeah, Andre already explained, but just to be extra clear, Luigi only handles differently/jumps differently in New Super Luigi U. Gives that game a unique flavor on top of the shorter speed-based levels.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
The game feels great to play with an 8bitdo wireless "SNES" controller. No actions require the triggers, so it works totally without a hitch (unlike tropical freeze).
Oh! I have one of these! I didn't even think to play it with it. I have no idea why since I played the entirety of The Messenger with it. So psyched to go pick this up. Have it on Wii U and 100%ed the OG game, I got Super Luigi U but never even played it. Maybe I'll start with that...

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
My biggest advice for this game is to swap the jumpg and run buttons.

Feels sooooo much better running with B and jumping with A

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
My biggest advice for this game is to swap the jumpg and run buttons.

Feels sooooo much better running with B and jumping with A
That's the first thing I change to Y and B if that isn't already the default. Holding B to run with the top of your thumb, and hitting A with the lower part near the joint below it just feels more natural and quicker.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Enjoying the game, but I'm having trouble adjusting to the movement in this game, definitely feels heavier than past 2D Mario games. Playing through SMB3 and then coming to this takes some getting used to to. Only other complaint is all the jaggies. They couldnt add a decent AA solution in a 2D game? Mario in particular looks a bit rough around the edges. Even DKCTF runs at a lower res, but manages to look vastly better imo.

Prat

Jan 9, 2018
Ok, so...
I love Super Mario World on SNES, but I kinda hate all new 2d marios on later consoles, mostly because of the hardcore slippery and floaty controls.
Am I gonna like this new game? Are controls reworked? Wish there was a demo...

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Got the game today and what is with this supposed twirl issue? I own a Wii U version and I really have a ZERO problems with it in Switch version. I don't understand what is the big deal here.

I was also surprised that the game looks much better than I expected. It's not just the resolution. Somehow the colors looks much better. Maybe it is the anisotropic filtering mentioned in the digital foundrys test.

Last edited:

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so...
I love Super Mario World on SNES, but I kinda hate all new 2d marios on later consoles, mostly because of the hardcore slippery and floaty controls.
Am I gonna like this new game? Are controls reworked? Wish there was a demo...
Definitely feels like Mario is chained to a prison ball in comparison to SMW.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Got the game today and what is with this supposed twirl issue? I own a Wii U version and I really have a ZERO problems with it in Switch version. I don't understand what is the big deal here.

I was also surprised that the game looks much better than I expected. It's not just the resolution. Somehow the colors looks much better. Maybe it is the anisotropic filtering mentioned in the digital foundrys test.
The twirl is just a control change, it used to be mapped to a controller shake or the L/R buttons. It's not necessarily an issue, and at least in my case, pretty easy to adapt to. If you're the type to try and queue up button presses, it might lead to mistaken inputs until you change when you do a jump.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
The twirl is just a control change, it used to be mapped to a controller shake or the L/R buttons. It's not necessarily an issue, and at least in my case, pretty easy to adapt to. If you're the type to try and queue up button presses, it might lead to mistaken inputs until you change when you do a jump.

In the Gametrailers analysis Andre said having the mid air twirl mapped to the jump button can actually become a very noticeable issue as it is often accidentally activated when trying to boost jump off enemies as one example.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017

I haven't played this yet, but I'm confused about "queuing up" button presses in a Mario game. Are we talking about pressing the jump button in the air just before Mario touches the ground? Does that actually work? He can't jump up unless he's touching a surface, right? I've never played a platformer that way. Maybe I've been doing it wrong?

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Enjoying this one a lot actually. I mean, I can tell it's from 2012 but it's a really good Mario game and scratches that 2D Mario itch. Level design is great.