• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's the best player character?

• Mario

Votes: 307 40.9%
  • Luigi

Votes: 189 25.2%
  • Toad

Votes: 63 8.4%
  • Toadette

Votes: 166 22.1%
  • Nabbit

Votes: 71 9.5%

• Total voters

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, please let us disable the twirl being on the same button as jump. It's awful. So bad. Please.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up. Never had a Wii U but gcu and an expiring RZ cert got me to bite. Can't wait to try local co op.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just picked it up. Never played the game on the Wii U so looking forward to checking out and seeing how it is

NoSpin

Nov 1, 2017
Are we talking about pressing the jump button in the air just before Mario touches the ground? Does that actually work?

To do a short/low jump, you have to release the jump button after take-off to control the jump height.
But to then jump high off an enemy, you can hold the jump button before impact to ensure your hold is respected and you get the height.

It's common to hold the jump button in advance of landing on an enemy, knowing what you intend to do and reducing the chance of failing to have the hold recognised. This is how Super Mario has been for decades. I'd say this is similarly fundamental to the controls as being able to hold the direction you want to go next against a wall when coming up to a corner in Pac-Man (and Bomberman, etc.). The player is already thinking about the next thing and the game respects that preparedness.

In this version, if you press before you land, the button has been overloaded with a different action resulting in a very different outcome (commonly missing your target or platform).

But even outside of preparedness and play-style, if a player accidentally pushes jump a frame too soon, in the previous games that would not be punished, Mario would land, and could jump again immediately on the next frame once they had landed. Mario's controls have previously always been precise, but *forgiving*. Here though, Mario doesn't land, he spins in the air which prevents the player from re-inputting the jump command and course-correcting, messing up the flow completely (and quite likely resulting in overshoot/death).

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Completed the main game, time to finally crack into Luigi U. I never did manage to get around to this on Wii U which is odd for me considering Luigi is my favorite character.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I just started playing this for the first time last night, and I have to ask, why is the save system fucking trash? I just lost like 3 completed levels of progress and 20 lives for no reason.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I just started playing this for the first time last night, and I have to ask, why is the save system fucking trash? I just lost like 3 completed levels of progress and 20 lives for no reason.
I just loaded it up and I was coming in here to say that I can't believe that they kept the fucking trash ass save system from the WiiU version. Basically if you quit out before you beat a castle or a ship you have to go into the menu and hit quick save, it doesn't auto-save in the year of our Lord 2019. Nintendo, what the hell you doing?!

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
To do a short/low jump, you have to release the jump button after take-off to control the jump height.
But to then jump high off an enemy, you can hold the jump button before impact to ensure your hold is respected and you get the height.

It's common to hold the jump button in advance of landing on an enemy, knowing what you intend to do and reducing the chance of failing to have the hold recognised. This is how Super Mario has been for decades. I'd say this is similarly fundamental to the controls as being able to hold the direction you want to go next against a wall when coming up to a corner in Pac-Man (and Bomberman, etc.). The player is already thinking about the next thing and the game respects that preparedness.

In this version, if you press before you land, the button has been overloaded with a different action resulting in a very different outcome (commonly missing your target or platform).

But even outside of preparedness and play-style, if a player accidentally pushes jump a frame too soon, in the previous games that would not be punished, Mario would land, and could jump again immediately on the next frame once they had landed. Mario's controls have previously always been precise, but *forgiving*. Here though, Mario doesn't land, he spins in the air which prevents the player from re-inputting the jump command and course-correcting, messing up the flow completely (and quite likely resulting in overshoot/death).

This is a great explanation, thank you for this.

I hope some key people at Nintendo somehow end up reading it.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco

Bingo. Great explanation, and an even better choice of username

Oct 25, 2017
This game feels incredibly mindless to play. I literally don't have to think when I play it, it's just 100% reflexive and there's very little tension. Kind of reminds me of the feeling I get when I do side content in AC Odyssey, like the entire game feels like filler in a weird way.

There are times when I'm in the mood for that type of thing, but..... Can't really tell if now is one of those times.

Outside the horrendous music, this is the worst offense these games have. I hate the save system worse than the art style. That happened to me today too. Played 2 levels this morning, got a chance to play Mario Kart with people at work, and booted up NSMBU again tonight to find that I lost my progress.

Then there are times when I only have time to crank out one level. I do that and walk away from the game. Then hours later I have a hankering to play something else, forget I'd only done one level of progress in NSMBU, and boot up another game without manually saving, erasing what I did.

Happened countless times when I was going through NSMB2 on 3DS and it's just as stupid of a system here.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just loaded it up and I was coming in here to say that I can't believe that they kept the fucking trash ass save system from the WiiU version. Basically if you quit out before you beat a castle or a ship you have to go into the menu and hit quick save, it doesn't auto-save in the year of our Lord 2019. Nintendo, what the hell you doing?!

It's a dumb save system, but why aren't you keeping your game open when putting the Switch into sleep mode

edit - unless you're bouncing around between different games I guess

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Not replacing this shit-ass save system is about as lazy as you can get if you're gonna charge $60 for a game from two console generations ago.

Rigbones

Oct 25, 2017
So there's literally no way to do a short jump followed by a high jump off an enemy without twirling in between? Or I guess a frame perfect b-press and hold when you land on an enemy?

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
This is the perfect podcast game. Catching up on the Giant Bomb deliberations while playing. Toadette into Peachette is really fun to play and I likee how they give you the choice of using easier characters if you're frustrated with a certain level or just want to play and chill without any difficulty. I'm liking this trend like with Tropical Freeze and now this.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was a fantastic game at launch on Wii U for $60, but there's no way it's worth $60 for switch many years later.

However, if they had released Super Mario 3D World instead, it would definitely be worth $60.

Oct 27, 2017
Not replacing this shit-ass save system is about as lazy as you can get if you're gonna charge $60 for a game from two console generations ago.
Why would they change the save system? It's the same one they use in all their "New" games. You can only save after a mid-castle or final castle. Otherwise if you intend to quit, you need to quick save, which saves your exact location and then quits. Once you beat the game you can save anywhere you want.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't find Mario, Toad or Luigi interesting to play at all in the base game. Toadette is listed as easy, but she should be listed as Most Fun.

Also, not sure what DF was smoking, but on my 1080p set there's also kinds of micro-stutter here and there. It might be there in handheld mode, but the screen is too small for me to discern. I haven't had a problem with controller latency that others have mentioned.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
The save system is fine, it's giving away extra lives like they were raining from the sky that is the real problem. At least they didn't try to force players to use a single joycon like some games I could mention.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they change the save system? It's the same one they use in all their "New" games. You can only save after a mid-castle or final castle. Otherwise if you intend to quit, you need to quick save, which saves your exact location and then quits. Once you beat the game you can save anywhere you want.
I didn't own a Wii or a Wii U. This is my first experience with these games and I'm telling you it's a terrible save system. "Its always been that way" is not a valid excuse.

I swear, people always give Nintendo a pass on shit like this just because it's Nintendo.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't own a Wii or a Wii U. This is my first experience with these games and I'm telling you it's a terrible save system. "Its always been that way" is not a valid excuse.

I swear, people always give Nintendo a pass on shit like this just because it's Nintendo.
Or I'm giving it a pass because it works perfectly fine. If you want to save, just click Quick Save. Is that really so difficult?

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh the save system and jump button twirling, Nintendo gotta Nintendo.

NES style password systems instead of saving also work fine. Doesn't mean they're a good way of doing things in 2019.
Until you tell me what is wrong with the save system, it's kinda hard for me to see your point. You can save whenever you want. You just can't save and then if you die a lot reload a quick save to regain those lives. That's not antiquated. That's by design.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Dear god this game is bland. I'm glad I got it for free. I haven't played a NSMB game since the original DS one, and I'm genuinely kind of shocked by how identical if feels to a game I played 12 years ago. Actually, it's a bit of a downgrade, because that one at least had the blue shell powerup.

This is the perfect podcast game. Catching up on the Giant Bomb deliberations while playing.

This is a fantastic idea. Really. I'm going to try doing just that.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Until you tell me what is wrong with the save system, it's kinda hard for me to see your point. You can save whenever you want. You just can't save and then if you die a lot reload a quick save to regain those lives. That's not antiquated. That's by design.

Would be nice to have an auto save that deletes itself after you load it up. This would make it more convenient, but not really necessary.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
A massive fix for the game would be to kill the Lives system and when you die, immediately start again - like every other platformer.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When I notice the twirl issue the most is when I plan to high jump of an enemy, but miss him because I'm jumping to far it wasn't much of an issue in previous Mario games. You still do the jump from the ground but not as high. Here it's doing this twirl instead and it completety throws me off. This was immediatly noticable to me in the first challenge mode level already.

In the normal game it's annoying but not much of an issue because there is no timed element and the game is easy enough.
But trying to get the speedrun golds in challenge mode is just extremely frustrating with this.

Last edited:

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Is there any objective design reason why the traditional lives system is better? I don't hate the classic system, but I definitely have been spoiled by modern platformers.
The lives system would be better in a game that wasn't designed to hand them out like candy. You'd have to decide whether to risk dying to get tough-to-reach coins or go for the hidden extra life.

Mario games haven't been designed like this since SMB3 though.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

I believe the game prompts you to save after you pay to toll to a Mushroom house, so you can always wait to unload some coins and save then. Not ideal of course, but one way to get around it.

Oct 27, 2017

If maintaining the currency of lives in an issue (and I'm not convinced it is with the amount they throw at you), then it's trivial to provisionally remove the life in the auto-save when you start a level, so reloading the save won't help you.

I think it's just because it's an old game and they wanted to spend as little time as possible on the port. Mario Odyssey thankfully uses transparent and asynchronous autosaving, so I think future 2D games will too.

Oct 27, 2017
If maintaining the currency of lives in an issue (and I'm not convinced it is with the amount they throw at you), then it's trivial to provisionally remove the life in the auto-save when you start a level, so reloading the save won't help you.

I think it's just because it's an old game and they wanted to spend as little time as possible on the port. Mario Odyssey thankfully uses transparent and asynchronous autosaving, so I think future 2D games will too.
Their old system incorporated no quick save option at all. This is their updated method. I agree though that they give so many lives that this shouldn't be a concern for them, but they do it anyway. I think they're incompetent at a lot of things, but this isn't one of them. This is just their design for the game. They also keep a running score going for some reason I'll never comprehend.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Going back to NSMB after playing DKC: Tropical Freeze and Sonic Mania Plus last year has really opened my eyes to the difference in terms of the quality of movement. Both DKC and Sonic have the perfect weight and feel to their characters while Mario feels a bit too floaty and slides a bit too much when changing direction after running. There's also the new issue of having the ability to spin in the air with the jump button but that's been said a few times in here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
NSMB2 is actually not the worst, it just became old hat by release. It's definitely better then the first game at least.
I think my issue with 2 was that it just felt a bit... souless? Getting the money target didn't do anything if I recall correct and the base levels didn't really blow me away. Raccoon feather was cool but that was about it. The DLC levels though... I absolutely loved those, especially the ones that were genuinely difficult, I really wish Super Luigi U was closer to those levels in difficulty.

That said, playing U on my Switch and I'm loving it. I'm not having issues with spinning instead of jumping myself, and its just really nice to have the game on the Switch (which I vastly prefer to my Wii U). Hope though that they do patch the spinning thing so that you get the option of having it mapped to the jump button or not.