• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's the best player character?

• Mario

Votes: 307 40.9%
  • Luigi

Votes: 189 25.2%
  • Toad

Votes: 63 8.4%
  • Toadette

Votes: 166 22.1%
  • Nabbit

Votes: 71 9.5%

• Total voters

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Ignorant American, is supermarket in Europe the equivalent of a grocery store or more of a Target or department store? When I hear supermarket in the US I think grocery, which I've never seen a grocery store carry games.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ignorant American, is supermarket in Europe the equivalent of a grocery store or more of a Target or department store? When I hear supermarket in the US I think grocery, which I've never seen a grocery store carry games.

The latter. The big supermarkets here are like Sainsbury's, Asda, Tesco and the like that all sell games.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
got the physical version, but it will only get here in Brazil by friday.
Costed me 73,00 freaking dollars (taxes + shipping included).

Since I never had a Wii U, I'm really excited to play NSMBUDX.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
The levels are alright but the bosses have been awful and are all beaten the same exact way
There's some hints of originality on the bosses front toward the end but it's tragically shortlived. Once you hit a more interesting boss idea (and isn't easily cheesed like Boom Boom and the Koopalings are), the game is basically over.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Using a pro controller and dpad and more than once when jumping and moving the game will think im pressing down (when im not) and do a ground pound right into a pit. That pound move needs to be mappable to a button only

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

Brit who just went to America 2 months ago:

A small supermarket is like a walgreens - sells food/toiletries
A big supermarket is like a target. Food and everything else.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Really recommended to find all the coins and unlock the extra levels. The 'Run For It' level was stupidly fun to beat. U will feel like u mastered the game after beating this level.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Trucking along in World 2. To say this game is dated visually is a massive understatement. I've also been playing Planet Robobot and Tropical Freeze, and those games are world apart when it comes to striking visuals and backgrounds. An unfair comparison since they are newer, but it's something that can't be ignored.

BUT I still feel like these levels are a lot of fun. With all the coins they throw at you, I feel like they are doing to coin gimmick even better than NSMB 2. There are a ton of secret areas and the star coins are so well hidden. They got a bit more unusual with the level design, which they really ramp up in Super Luigi U then take every restraint off with Mario Maker. I still highly recommend the Challenge levels, getting the golds will truly test your Mario might. Boost Rush is also something different for those who want a break from the main game. $60 for such an old game that looks BLEH is a hard swallow for many, but there is a ton of content here and if you like just straight up platforming there's a lot to love.

BAH BAH

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I finished the game as Mario on Wii U but for Switch I'm playing as Toadette and having a good time. I'm basically pretending this is the sequel to Super Princess Peach we deserved but never got.

Oct 27, 2017
BUT WHY WOULD THEY CHARGE FULL PRICE
lol so true. This is gonna be a big seller for the life of the Switch. Unless they release another game in the NSMB line.

I finished the game as Mario on Wii U but for Switch I'm playing as Toadette and having a good time. I'm basically pretending this is the sequel to Super Princess Peach we deserved but never got.

I'm doing the same thing. Not because she's easier, but because she's way more fun to play as.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Man, FUCK this game's archaic save system. I just 100% completed 4 stages, then the game locked up during the following fortress. I was forced to hard reset my Switch, and when I reopened the game, none of the progress was saved!! Ughhhhh

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Man, FUCK this game's archaic save system. I just 100% completed 4 stages, then the game locked up during the following fortress. I was forced to hard reset my Switch, and when I reopened the game, none of the progress was saved!! Ughhhhh
oh fuck. I haven't gotten a single freeze yet. But I'd be so pissed if that happened. I did lose about three levels and 20 lives worth of progress when I quit-to-dash out of frustration on one level.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
oh fuck. I haven't gotten a single freeze yet. But I'd be so pissed if that happened. I did lose about three levels and 20 lives worth of progress when I quit-to-dash out of frustration on one level.
I was actually surprised it froze since Nintendo games are usually so polished. It was after I used the moving block/gear system in the fortress to crush those 3 Dry Bones. Hopefully I don't hit any other issues

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda concerned about the shitty save progress feature, gonna save my star coin run for when I unlock the ""modern"" system. Just played a few levels before work so I'll save my impressions for now.
So playing this has given me the urge to play Mario 3d World again.
Wonder when that's coming to switch. Maybe this fall so they have a big Mario game.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder when that's coming to switch. Maybe this fall so they have a big Mario game.
Don't know but it definitely should come out. That being said I most likely won't get it as I have it digitally on the Wii U which I still have as I fired it up and redownloaded the game. I bought this physically on the Wii U and sold it which is why I picked this one up again.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
I beat the main campaign of dktf relatively easily and thought that was meant to be the challenging one. Turns out this game in some respects is even harder, despite not being known as a difficult game. Great port though and I'm glad Nintendo brought it over to tide us over till Yoshi.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I'm actually surprised to find this game to be harder than I remember (and this comes after recent replays of Mario 3 & world). I thought this would be good to play with my 5 year old as a "my first Mario" with Toadette/Nabbit's various "assists" they provide, but honestly they don't even help with her, since you still lose lives from falling or even just being scrolled off the screen. Kind of wish they had a pure "braindead" mode for her to kind of just never die/have unlimited lives, or just go into bubble upon falling. They can flag this playthrough as not counting towards real progress on leaderboards or whatnot, but as is, she loses her 5 lives quickly and is very upset when she stops respawning.

I know this is a bit of a "first world problem" and "keep practicing and git gud" and "we didn't have easy mode as kids in the 80's/90s" and all that, but that would be my minor criticism since they did attempt to make this newcomer friendly, but IMO didn't take it quite far enough.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Tried Luigi U for the first time today. Man, I like it a lot. But it's really difficult. Feels like these levels are very creative and the team just kind of had fun with the level design.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There were posters actually defending the quick save, because they simply couldn't wrap their head around the fact that it's a dumb system.

Like Tropical Freeze, heck Returns evens, has a proper save feature and that doesn't change the challenge what so ever, so why is Mario sticking to the dumb backward system?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Mario games, as awesome as they are, hold on to too much of the past. Why do we still have a large score counter taking up space? Who cares about that now.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
There were posters actually defending the quick save, because they simply couldn't wrap their head around the fact that it's a dumb system.

Like Tropical Freeze, heck Returns evens, has a proper save feature and that doesn't change the challenge what so ever, so why is Mario sticking to the dumb backward system?
I understand that it offers an old school challenge but for me the actual fun starts after beating the game and unloking the unlimited save because then you can focus on completing the levels without the stress of save. So yeah maybe they should be done with it. A no save could be an alternative classic mode that would only save at the start of each world.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
If we're talking about a challenge mode, maybe they could find a way to figure coin totals into a save system instead of using them for lives. I loved the way Maximo (PS2) had an in-game economy for continues. The "cost" went up with each continue. It had an arcade sensibility but was tailored to a longer form console experience.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I understand that it offers an old school challenge but for me the actual fun starts after beating the game and unloking the unlimited save because then you can focus on completing the levels without the stress of save. So yeah maybe they should be done with it. A no save could be an alternative classic mode that would only save at the start of each world.

If the fun doesn't start until you have free saves because of the stress why not just have free saves from the start? It doesn't make much sense to have to play through once before you're free to enjoy playing it.

It just seems like an antiquated system exacerbated by the annoyance of kicking you back to the map after losing a life. Hopefully the next one they rethink a lot of this.

Oct 27, 2017

I defended it. I still do. It works fine.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
If the fun doesn't start until you have free saves because of the stress why not just have free saves from the start? It doesn't make much sense to have to play through once before you're free to enjoy playing it.

It just seems like an antiquated system exacerbated by the annoyance of kicking you back to the map after losing a life. Hopefully the next one they rethink a lot of this.
Totally agree with you on both. The throwing you back on map was really annoying in both this and Tropical Freeze. Should have quick retry button.

Oct 27, 2017
It's technically functional, sure. But what are the pros of this system versus the cons? Is there any real benefit to this system not being tweaked to make the experience better for players?
That's the thing. It's been designed to work this way. They could easily just take the end-game's save method and apply it everywhere, but this is the way they intended for it to work. The addition of the quick save is actually the improvement here over what earlier games had. I'm guessing in their minds they didn't want people to stockpile extra lives, which you can do anyway since the game gives them out so frequently.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
That's the thing. It's been designed to work this way. They could easily just take the end-game's save method and apply it everywhere, but this is the way they intended for it to work. The addition of the quick save is actually the improvement here over what earlier games had. I'm guessing in their minds they didn't want people to stockpile extra lives, which you can do anyway since the game gives them out so frequently.
The problem is that there's just no point the castle/house saves if quick saving exists. It seems to exist in this form because this is how it worked in SMW, but the question becomes "why are we modeling a game's systems after one from 1991 in the year 2012." If they're going to negate the whole point of it... then maybe they should've reexamined why it was that way to begin with.

The game isn't broken in any way and this is totally functional like this, but it's just another head scratcher, and little more than an inconvenience until postgame.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
started playing this, got two things to say:

1. man, this game is just great. there's nothing quite like a 2D mario platformer, and it's been a long time since i played one (nsmbwii). the "new" look isn't super exciting, but the game looks nice enough, and it looks sharp and clean in both handheld and docked mode.

2. i thought it wouldn't feel great to play with an analog stick, but it's completely fine.

Oct 28, 2017
Man, playing this game again is so fucking good. I mean, I bought the Tropical Freeze port and played it for a bit and was like.....eh this game was always overrated but I don't remember it being this meh. But this game? Oh man. It was underrated in 2012 and it's underrated in 2019. Top tier platforming. So fun.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to pick this up as a great couch family game and everyone loves it .

Nabbit and peach are perfect for my kids to learn the controls and survive . It's even got my wife addicted and after 10 yrs of gaming in front of her I FINALLY found a game she likes !!!!
Mainly because she played the original as a kid and instantly just picked up the controls. It's amazing how much a series can bring out the nostalgia.

This is why I am glad the 2d games still exist .

I thought pokemon would be the chosen one for my kids but nope it's classic mario .

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
It's technically functional, sure. But what are the pros of this system versus the cons? Is there any real benefit to this system not being tweaked to make the experience better for players?
Alright, here's my argument:
Mario games are not about overcoming one tough micro-challenge after another, but about getting through many mildly challenging sections in one go.

The problem with the modern micro-challenge/insta-respawn style of platformers is that when rooms gradually ramp up in difficulty, people will suddenly hit a wall when they reach their current limit. They don't get to practice more on earlier levels or bring power-ups. They're stuck.
Tropical Freeze basically has the same problem. There are lots of really tough sections, and it makes the game inaccessible to bad players, when they are unable to advance past a certain point. It certainly makes sense to let you save the game after each level!

With the Mario structure, nothing is hard on its own; it's more of an endurance race. This way, even bad players can play for a longer time before getting game over (thanks to lots of power-ups and 1ups on the way), and because of this natural training, they get further and further until they finally reach all the way to the goal.

I think this is the philosophy they take one step further with the 2D Mario save system; that you have to get through half a world in one go before the game is saved. You get to restart at an easier point if the game's gotten so tough that you got game over, and you get a higher sense of satisfaction once you make it all the way.

(Whether it works today when everyone's used to the instant gratification of modern gaming though, I don't know. I can only assume they test these things with kids before making decisions. And it will probably be gone with the next 2D Mario.)

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Kind of wish they had a pure "braindead" mode for her to kind of just never die/have unlimited lives, or just go into bubble upon falling. They can flag this playthrough as not counting towards real progress on leaderboards or whatnot, but as is, she loses her 5 lives quickly and is very upset when she stops respawning.
Yeah that would be a much better away to introduce new people. The lives system is very archaic.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I've just finished World 5, all coins so far, and my opinion hasn't really changed much on this game. It's more of the same in the "New" 2D Mario series. It definitely looks dated on the Switch, and I still think Nintendo should have ported 3D World instead as I'd be having a lot more fun with that.

I also totally resent the non-existent "Deluxe" element in the game. That annoys me. But all said and done, onto World 6 I march...

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I've just finished World 5, all coins so far, and my opinion hasn't really changed much on this game. It's more of the same in the "New" 2D Mario series. It definitely looks dated on the Switch, and I still think Nintendo should have ported 3D World instead as I'd be having a lot more fun with that.

I also totally resent the non-existent "Deluxe" element in the game. That annoys me. But all said and done, onto World 6 I march...

Agreed wholeheartedly with everything you said(W4 so far myself).

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
I have some legit buyers remorse with this game.

I skipped it on WiiU because at the time I felt like the NSMB series was for babies and I was sort of burned out after the DS releases.

Now I have a 5 year old that likes video games I thought I was all set to enjoy this. I had visions of my wife, daughter and I playing all together.

My daughter played with me for like 20 mins and said I am bored and hasn't asked to play it again. On my own I get bored after 10 mins and go play something else. I hate the music, the graphics are shitty and I forgot how much I don't like the art style. I am going to force myself to at least beat all the levels but this one should have been a skip for me again.

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
Mario games, as awesome as they are, hold on to too much of the past. Why do we still have a large score counter taking up space? Who cares about that now.

I totally agree. I am being nit picky but what is with the font for the points. If you get a coin, jump on an enemy and then get and item and the points go from 2000, 3000, 4000 the text gets larger each increment to indicate a chain. As the text increases in size the font seams to stretch not redraw at a larger size. It looks like a flash game.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Loving this game. Very glad I picked it up. Wasn't sure with how divisive it seems to be. I tend to want to collect the 3 big coins every level, so the challenge has been there for me.

Also the game looks really good. I'm going between NSMB2 and this, and it's quite the jump in art and technique. The lighting and effects are often subtle but really appreciated. I love the look of the underground levels especially. The way Ice scintillates is also very nice. Some of the model are just really pleasant and clean, like the spiked blowfish. I think is a bit underrated in the looks department. With that said, I'd love a new direction going forward.

Oct 28, 2017
There's one thing I hate about this game. It always infuriates me in any game that has something like this. The fucking Super Guide.

OK I DIED A FEW TIMES. I WILL OVERCOME THE CHALLENGE. DO YOU HAVE TO FUCKING RUB IT IN MY FACE?!

Look, having an option available to players to make things easier for them is fine. Tell players that that option is there at the start, then leave it. Don't taunt people with a massive ringing YOU SUCK TURN ON EASY MODE block. You can't even disable this shit.

You know what I do if the super guide comes up? No matter if I lose several levels progress from it, I'll straight up close the game because it pisses me off that much and makes me feel like shit.

Stop taunting players for dying a few times. It makes them feel like shit and makes them not want to return.

I am not overreacting.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I've been playing as Toadette exclusively since I beat this and Luigi on WiiU (plus I love and identify more with female playable characters!) I just wish Peach was unlockable at the end or something. I guess when they announce the next one or something Peach will be a real character.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I became weak and eventually bought NSMBU Deluxe (and also Tropical Freeze) again on the Switch. I just can't see myself hooking up the Wii U to the TV anytime soon. Also, I'm travelling quite a bit and these are two awesome games for just a level or two. l'll have quite a few friends coming over the next couple of weeks and 2D JnR coop is always some great fun. Given the games might be on sale next time in 2022 or so, I kinda ended up going against my own philosophy here, because I usually would only have spent about 29.99 EUR on this game at most.

Hope everybody who is playing NSMBU for the first time is having a good time! :)