• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo 2DS Super Mario Maker Edition. New bundle, old hardware.

2ds-xl-mario-maker-edzfcel.jpg

$79.99, launch on Nov 23. Super Mario Maker comes pre-installed (digital preload).

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-2ds-super-mario-maker-edition/6304056.p?skuId=6304056

Great system, great game. Not sure if I'm a fan of the color scheme.

Edit: The big draw of this edition of Super Mario Maker is the Super Mario Challenge, a 100 level assortment of new courses designed by Nintendo in what basically amounts to a completely new 2D Mario game. Read the thread for some praise of this mode, including this quote by Nabbit.

Massive love for this incredible game for an unexpected reason. The game contains 17 worlds of Super Mario levels, 4 levels apiece. These are all levels made by Nintendo, so essentially a new very lengthy SMB game. The levels are across all the styles from the different games (SMB, SMB 3, SMW and NSMB) and whole some are very short they are bursting with creativity and feature entirely different kinds of lives than mainline 2D Mario games.

The main thing though is that these levels are not made just to he beaten. Each level has two medals, earned by completing level specific challenges. You earn a Goomba coin by beating the level under a specific criteria told to you when you first play the level. After completing that medal, the Bowser medal criteria is revealed and often much more difficult. But as I think a pretty decent Mario player, I have to say these are really tough to complete. They ask of you fairly high level Mario stuff, similar to that found in the NSMBU challenge mode. Stuff like "hold the right side of the d-pad the whole level" or utilize a power-up in an unusual or complicated way.

I still have a ton of the game to go, but from a SP perspective it's been an joy to play. Thanks again to my exceptionally generous friend here on ERA who got the game for me for Christmas 2016. As a 2D Mario fan I'm thrilled with it.

Also, just FWIW some of the levels, while creative, are fairly quick or simple just to beat. The main meat is in the included two challenges with each level which are immensely fun and challenging to complete.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The color scheme makes it look like a child's toy, but I guess that's their target for this bundle

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people don't realize how good the level pack is in MM 3DS. It's worth buying for that alone.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Nintendo will never let the 3DS die, isn't it? It's an excellent price though.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
This will be a great system + game for kids, because of the color scheme. That price is really good imo.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything on the 3DS version that you literally can't get on the Wii U version?

A 100 prebuilt levels of a rather high quality. That's the draw. The game itself is otherwise fully featured besides the frankly baffling decision to make sharing levels only possible by Streetpass when there is literally no reason to not also do the standard internet sharing.

OP
OP
Hieroph

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Giant Bomb voted Mario Maker (WiiU) as their GOTY but if the things they talk about in this video still hold true nobody should buy this bundle.

We've already got several posters telling you that this is an excellent release. On the complete opposite, anybody who likes 2D Mario should buy this version. It's really, really good.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Giant Bomb voted Mario Maker (WiiU) as their GOTY but if the things they talk about in this video still hold true nobody should buy this bundle.

Or you know, maybe use critical thinking and research instead of blindly following Giant Bomb hot takes.

I swear, the GB fandom in this community is downright embarrassing at times.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
If this comes out over here I might actually buy one. Always wanted to try a regular 2ds for the new form factor. Looks like it could be more comfortable for certain games and no hinges that can get worn out either.

Unfortunately regular 2ds have been extinct here in Norway for quite some time now so I kinda doubt this comes over.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fandom? Stop projecting please.

The 3DS version was missing several key features.

You straight up claimed that nobody should buy this game you never played based on some podcast, don't act so surprised to meet some disagreement.

It's ok to dislike a game but if you start spreading misleading information you're gonna be called on your bullshit.

Lemonade727

Oct 8, 2018
Thanks for the heads up, I'm planning on getting a couple of these for my younger sons.

As a side note to this, what's the best way to set up child accounts on the 2ds/3ds? I see that I can add supervised accounts in my family group when logged in as my username, but it's having me create separate login identities for them. Are these family group logins even used on the 2ds? And If I did this and they tried to play anything online (or used this account in the near future on a switch), is it their unique account ID that is visible? Or just the nickname?

I can't really get their input on unique login names since they'll just be 5 in January, but I don't want to use anything containing their full name if their login will be visible to other people. And at the same time I don't want to doom them with a crappy, visible name just by putting in some random nonsense to make sure it's a unique name on account creation.

Oct 25, 2017
You straight up claimed that nobody should buy this game you never played based on some podcast, don't act so surprised to meet some disagreement.

It's ok to dislike a game but if you start spreading misleading information you're gonna be called on your bullshit.
What's the misleading information? Can you search for levels now?

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017

But why would anyone buy a WiiU at this point? Not sure what that has to do with the 2DS.

Yeah, but nothing to the extent of "avoid this bundle".

LOL yup...pretty sure this game has enough merit on its own, and a used WiiU with SMM wouldn't be close to this price.

OP
OP
Hieroph

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the heads up, I'm planning on getting a couple of these for my younger sons.

As a side note to this, what's the best way to set up child accounts on the 2ds/3ds? I see that I can add supervised accounts in my family group when logged in as my username, but it's having me create separate login identities for them. Are these family group logins even used on the 2ds? And If I did this and they tried to play anything online (or used this account in the near future on a switch), is it their unique account ID that is visible? Or just the nickname?

I can't really get their input on unique login names since they'll just be 5 in January, but I don't want to use anything containing their full name if their login will be visible to other people. And at the same time I don't want to doom them with a crappy, visible name just by putting in some random nonsense to make sure it's a unique name on account creation.

Don't know a lot about this but I think online modes show the actual username. So if you put Lemonade727 in there, that's what other people see too. I think.

As for child accounts the best way I think would be to set up another account as yourself (use a different email than your main account) and then just apply parental controls.

But the thing is, you don't even need an account if you don't want it. You can't download some F2P games or play online but otherwise the system works just fine without an account.

wow I never actually played it.. sounds very restrictive

Don't worry about the online features, the brand new courses that are on the actual cartridge are amazing and basically the latest actual 2D Mario game.

Lemonade727

Oct 8, 2018
Don't know a lot about this but I think online modes show the actual username. So if you put Lemonade727 in there, that's what other people see too. I think.

As for child accounts the best way I think would be to set up another account as yourself (use a different email than your main account) and then just apply parental controls.

But the thing is, you don't even need an account if you don't want it. You can't download some F2P games or play online but otherwise the system works just fine without an account.

Thanks for the info.

The Big Plume

Nov 7, 2018

Don't worry about the online features, the brand new courses that are on the actual cartridge are amazing and basically the latest actual 2D Mario game.

Are there a lot of them?

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people don't realize how good the level pack is in MM 3DS. It's worth buying for that alone.

I couldn't agree more! Massive love for this incredible game for an unexpected reason. The game contains 17 worlds of Super Mario levels, 4 levels apiece. These are all levels made by Nintendo, so essentially a new very lengthy SMB game. The levels are across all the styles from the different games (SMB, SMB 3, SMW and NSMB) and whole some are very short they are bursting with creativity and feature entirely different kinds of lives than mainline 2D Mario games.

The main thing though is that these levels are not made just to he beaten. Each level has two medals, earned by completing level specific challenges. You earn a Goomba coin by beating the level under a specific criteria told to you when you first play the level. After completing that medal, the Bowser medal criteria is revealed and often much more difficult. But as I think a pretty decent Mario player, I have to say these are really tough to complete. They ask of you fairly high level Mario stuff, similar to that found in the NSMBU challenge mode. Stuff like "hold the right side of the d-pad the whole level" or utilize a power-up in an unusual or complicated way.

I still have a ton of the game to go, but from a SP perspective it's been an joy to play. Thanks again to my exceptionally generous friend here on ERA who got the game for me for Christmas 2016. As a 2D Mario fan I'm thrilled with it.

Also, just FWIW some of the levels, while creative, are fairly quick or simple just to beat. The main meat is in the included two challenges with each level which are immensely fun and challenging to complete.

Hieroph please consider including part of this post (or another one praising the game) in your OP so people see how amazing the included game is beyond just the creating of Mario levels. Thank you, and thanks for posting this deal!

OP
OP
Hieroph

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Are there a lot of them?

100 levels altogether, a handful are shared or redone from Wii U but most are brand new.

Hieroph please consider including part of this post (or another one praising the game) in your OP so people see how amazing the included game is beyond just the creating of Mario levels. Thank you, and thanks for posting this deal!

Thank you for that description! Added to the OP.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
A 100 prebuilt levels of a rather high quality. That's the draw. The game itself is otherwise fully featured besides the frankly baffling decision to make sharing levels only possible by Streetpass when there is literally no reason to not also do the standard internet sharing.
I'll never understand why they hamstrung the game like that.

I don't own either of the 2DS models, but I own all the others (OG, n3DS and n3DS XL), so I feel like I need to add the OG 2DS to my collection.

OP
OP
Hieroph

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I'll never understand why they hamstrung the game like that.

Would it make a lot of sense to build a core concept of the game around online on a handheld that will be offline for a lot of time?

They went a different way, and made a different edition of the game than just porting the Wii U SMM as it was and leaving it at that.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Would it make a lot of sense to build a core concept of the game around online on a handheld that will be offline for a lot of time?

They went a different way, and made a different edition of the game than just porting the Wii U SMM as it was and leaving it at that.
This line of defence makes no sense to me. Why not have both options? And it's not like levels need to be shared in real time. Users would just need to upload their creations to Nintendo's servers. So when a 3DS system is using wi-fi, users could browse levels and download them. By your line of reasoning, Nintendo shouldn't have bothered with online play for any 3DS games.

OP
OP
Hieroph

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't this just the same price of all of the 2DS bundles out?

Yup, standard $79.99 price for an OG 2DS bundled with a game these days. But this is the first time they're bundling Super Mario Maker, and with a special edition system too. This is a really good deal if you ask me.

This line of defence makes no sense to me. Why not have both options? And it's not like levels need to be shared in real time. Users would just need to upload their creations to Nintendo's servers. So when a 3DS system is using wi-fi, users could browse levels and download them. By your line of reasoning, Nintendo shouldn't have bothered with online play for any 3DS games.

Yeah, sure, options are good. But development costs money, and choices like that guide what the final product is going to be. It isn't the same for this game as it is for something like Mario Kart 7, which already has really strong offline, single player and local multi components. Having the Super Mario Challenge mode in the handheld edition makes a lot of sense, way more than having console style online. If Nintendo was going to choose one or the other, I'm really happy they made this choice.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, standard $79.99 price for an OG 2DS bundled with a game these days. But this is the first time they're bundling Super Mario Maker, and with a special edition system too. This is a really good deal if you ask me.

Yeah, sure, options are good. But development costs money, and choices like that guide what the final product is going to be. It isn't the same for this game as it is for something like Mario Kart 7, which already has really strong offline, single player and local multi components. Having the Super Mario Challenge mode in the handheld edition makes a lot of sense, way more than having console style online. If Nintendo was going to choose one or the other, I'm really happy they made this choice.
I'm not sure how much this would've added to development costs. They did it for the Wii U game but not for the much more successful 3DS system. Doesn't make sense. Very stupid decision.

OP
OP
Hieroph

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure how much this would've added to development costs. They did it for the Wii U game but not for the much more successful 3DS system. Doesn't make sense. Very stupid decision.

We can all imagine the Super Mario Maker handheld port that has the same online as the Wii U game. I'm pretty sure Nintendo imagined it too when they were planning this game. And they imagined the cost, they imagined all the online-versed coders and developers they would have to pull to the project. They imagined the compromises they would have to make to get all that running on significantly less processing power than what the Wii U has.

What they made instead addresses what a 3DS or 2DS owner is going to really want when they buy a title called Super Mario Maker. It got a robust offline and single player mode added. It got a local collaborative mode and local sharing added. Lots of things were retooled, as Nintendo learned from some of the not so well thought out design decisions of the original SMM. And you still get access to some online stages, just not all of them, and not with direct access or upload.

That's the kind of thing you need to consider and I'm sure they considered. They can't just drop the Wii U online onto this version, they would have to do it from the ground up again, on a very different system. This isn't some simple port of a 2.5D platformer like Yoshi's Woolly World. So it's not like they cut off the Wii U online out of spite or stupidity or whatever. They made a really great adaptation of their big HD home console level creator game, with a huge bonus mode, that runs even on a 2011 handheld. So I'm really surprised that this even happened, and even more surprised that it's this good. So it seems that complaining about not having all the online features of the Wii U release is missing the point.

Also this version was a huge hit, especially in Japan. So I'm pretty sure lots of people liked it.

Last edited: