• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine this will be more akin to a switch lite than any sort of pro version.
but we shall see.

Well they did with GBC, DSi and New 3DS. In other words anything other than GBA, Nintendo's handheld always got mid-gen upgrade.

the DS and 3ds got a late gen upgrade after various other models came out first.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well there it is.

Here's my guess - a 2DS-style Switch with more durable (and child friendly) Joycons - out in time for the next big Pokemon installment. Maybe even one with Joycons that don't disconnect from the system - guaranteeing one less point of failure.

Anybody expecting a 4K Switch is going to walk away dissapointed.

This is my prediction as well.

I've been thinking of the possibility of a 'handheld only' as one solid unit with no detachable joycons and kid friendly, but if that ever happens it would likely be much later in the cycle ala 2DS.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It'll be a 2DS instead of new 3ds situation.

Getting a cheaper, more compact version out is more important right now. They'll have their more powerfull revision later.

Slightly smaller, same size joycons, no dock (but a cable solution), 199

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my guess - a 2DS-style Switch with more durable (and child friendly) Joycons - out in time for the next big Pokemon installment. Maybe even one with Joycons that don't disconnect from the system - guaranteeing one less point of failure.

Anybody expecting a 4K Switch is going to walk away dissapointed.

No. Neither of these.

HipHop

Banned
Feb 28, 2018
TOKYO— Nintendo Co. NTDOY -1.78% plans to release a new version of its Switch videogame console next year to maintain the sales momentum of the device, according to suppliers and others with direct knowledge of the plan.

Sales of the Switch, introduced in March 2017, are still solid but are no longer delivering the favorable surprises that marked the machine's first year on the market. Nintendo shares, which rose sharply last year, have trailed the broader stock market this year. The move to update the Switch suggests the Kyoto, Japan, company is moving quickly to ensure its flagship product doesn't lose competitiveness.

Nintendo is still debating what new hardware and software features to include in the upgrade and weighing the cost of the features, people with knowledge of the discussions said.

Keeping MomentumSales of the Nintendo Switch consoleSource: the company
.million units1Q20172Q3Q4Q1Q'182Q024684Q 2017x7.24 million units
One option is improving the display, they said. The current Switch uses a lower-end liquid-crystal display without some technologies that are standard in more recent smartphone LCDs.

Updating the display with these technologies would make it brighter, thinner and more energy-efficient. The updated Switch isn't expected to adopt the organic light-emitting diode or OLED panels used in Apple Inc.'s AAPL 1.22% iPhone X series.

Nintendo is looking to release the new Switch in the latter half of 2019, perhaps as soon as summer, the people said.

A Nintendo spokesman declined to comment.

Between its introduction last year and June 30 of this year, Nintendo sold 19.7 million units of the Switch, a pace that compares favorably with Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 4, the most popular console among the current generation of videogame players. The Switch can be used both as a living-room console and as a portable game machine.

Nintendo has said it wants to sell 20 million units in the year through March 2019, and analysts say they expect sales roughly to match that goal assuming some popular software titles planned for late this year arrive on schedule. Nintendo has said it plans to introduce "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" on Dec. 7.

Videogame makers generally come out with new consoles every five to six years, and it is common for them to update the devices in the middle of their life cycles to keep the momentum going. Sony introduced the PlayStation 4 in November 2013 and updated it with a less-expensive version in September 2016 and a high-end model two months later.

A new Switch would follow that pattern. Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto, who created many of its top games and now holds the title of creative fellow, said in February he wanted the Switch's life cycle to be longer than usual, suggesting next year's update of the hardware may not be the last.

The upgraded Switch would likely share many features with the current version and be compatible with existing Switch game software.

Software makers and others in the industry are watching whether Nintendo will clarify the future of its hand-held 3DS videogame device when it decides on the next Switch.

Nintendo has said it would keep selling 3DS machines because they are a safe and affordable option for children. But new game releases for the platform have been declining and some popular franchises, including Nintendo's own "Pokémon," moved to the Switch this year.

An executive at one software maker said the 3DS was increasingly overshadowed by smartphones that are well-suited to portable games. He said he was waiting for a "clear message" from Nintendo about what it would do with the 3DS series when it puts out a new Switch.

—Yang Jie in Beijing contributed to this article.

Write to Takashi Mochizuki at [email protected]

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it'll have any technical improvements like more RAM or such think it'll be like DS lite.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this is true, this is probably happening because of the chip problem that allow hacking. I think this is the biggest reason for why there's going to be a new version of the console. The rest is a bonus.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Alot of thing will come together next year for Switch.

- rollout of viable +32gb card prices for publishers which will result in more current-gen titles being brought over
- Switch Pro
- price drop current gen, replaced by a slimmer redesign
- mainline Pokemon, Animal Crossing and co.

Its def. needed to establish their place in the market before PS5/Nextbox hit. Nintendo should be fine though.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not trading in, as I don't get rid of consoles ever, so I'll just be buying a second Switch I reckon.

If the upgrades are worth it. If it's an extra $50 for a 1080p screen and more memory I'm out.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I think it's a Switch Lite, not a Switch Pro. They need a cheaper and smaller Switch and 2019 is the perfect year for that (Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing and Pokémon are handheld IP).

Fireclad

Oct 27, 2017
The Void
Give me a legitimately portable switch before Bayonetta 3's release along with some good software that I don't already own for Wii U and I might actually have to bite.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 3rd parties confused about the 3DS are very dumb considering it's obvious it's dead and Switch replaced it as the handheld system.

Anyway, expecting this to be like the DS Lite.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Well they did with GBC, DSi and New 3DS. In other words anything other than GBA, Nintendo's handheld always got mid-gen upgrade.
Those came later in the lives of the devices and I doubt too many people want a more expensive Switch. If you want to bring up past history all of Nintendo's handhelds were replaced with improved form factors to the originals first with the devices you mentioned coming after.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And of course, not going to trade my Switch for this one. If I never did for PS4 Pro, it's not happening with this one.

Give me a legitimately portable switch before Bayonetta 3's release along with some good software that I don't already own for Wii U and I might actually have to bite.

There's plenty of software that isn't on the Wii U. lol

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I think it's a Switch Lite, not a Switch Pro. They need a cheaper and smaller Switch and 2019 is the perfect year for that (Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing and Pokémon are handheld IP).
Hmm yeah, the major first-party games coming next year are all from franchises that have had their greatest success on handhelds. This leads me to believe we could be getting a Switch Lite at a cheaper price point, then maybe a "Pro" in 2020.

If it ends up being Lite, I will buy one for my nephew. If it ends up being Pro, I will get one for myself and pass off my launch Switch to him heh.

Oct 25, 2017
With all the speculation, I'm sure everyone will be happy with the announced product even if it turns out not to be what they wanted.

Rough leak, but it happens.

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't doubt Nintendo tries and goes the phone route. Just keep updating the Switch hardware for as long as possible.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
une-mini-switch-pour-remplacer-la-3ds-48183-491.jpg

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
A Pro model for Switch has been the expectation since the Switch launch. If Nvidia can provide X2, make the unit more efficient/boost battery life, then Nintendo can sell it for $350 and lower the current Switch to $199 as the "affordable option".

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it comes with a version of the eShop that isn't cluttered up by comparatively expensive mobile game ports.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I'm hoping for a Switch-mini. I get pins and needles in my hand whenever I play in handheld mode for anything more than 30 mins. Never had this problem with the DS Lite.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Revision could mean a lot of things to Nintendo... but power is rarely one of those considerations... temper your expectations

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it will be a switch lite, easier to take with you on the go to play pokemon, those of you expecting a "pro" version are making a mistake. Maybe they ll release a stronger version in 2020 or 2021 but this is not it

Status
Not open for further replies.