• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it's an upgrade, I'd be there in a heartbeat to trade in my Switch. There's plenty of 1st and 3rd parties that would benefit from some extra juice.

Oct 27, 2017
They are coming out with a new one right as I got the old one? The thing just released literally last year. I don't think I'm getting another Nintendo console after Switch. This doesn't sit right with me.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My hope is that if they release a new Switch, that it is still compatible with the current dock and Joycons and they give an option to "upgrade" by just buying the system itself.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Switch revision alongside Animal Crossing in July. I expect it will be a revision designed to appeal more to the portable crowd. Pokemon Gen 8 for holiday 2019 will only further appeal to the portable audience.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
They are coming out with a new one right as I got the old one? The thing just released literally last year. I don't think I'm getting another Nintendo console after Switch. This doesn't sit right with me.
Haha, same thing happened to me with the DS. Literally days after I got an original DS, the DS Lite was announced. I was pretty salty at the time.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
Before the article transcription I was expecting to discuss if it would be a Switch Pro or a Switch Mini (maybe same form factor but somehow cheaper).

But the article clearly indicates this is a first option route… interesting. Let's how many things can be improved, and to what extent.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
I would rather a Pro than a lite but I can see Nintendo going Lite with more battery life over Pro with more power

day 1 if Pro

Fireclad

Oct 27, 2017
The Void
And of course, not going to trade my Switch for this one. If I never did for PS4 Pro, it's not happening with this one.

There's plenty of software that isn't on the Wii U. lol
I'm pretty out of the loop but I'm pretty fucking picky. From what I've seen at a glance most of the offerings I'd actually be interested in owning I already have on Wii U or can easily pick up on PC. I prefer to game on consoles but so far I haven't seen anything of note that I'm actually interested in that legitimately warrants a $300+ purchase.

I am however, pretty out of the loop on recent releases and totally open to suggestions.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Revision could mean a lot of things to Nintendo... but power is rarely one of those considerations... temper your expectations

Didn't both New 3DS and DSi have power upgrades?

It's entirely possible it will get a bump... although it might see limited functionality in practice (it might be something like more RAM for the OS, so it can do Netflix and whatnot...).

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
My hope is that if they release a new Switch, that it is still compatible with the current dock and Joycons and they give an option to "upgrade" by just buying the system itself.

I would say it is 99% certain that it will. They are absolutely not going to make old JoyCons unusable.

People should keep their expectations in check. We really have no idea what this is. It could be incredibly minor or it could be a slight boost in power. It's unlikely to be anything more than that.

And either way, all your old games and accessories will certainly work.

No insider knowledge here, just being logical.

Oct 25, 2017
Your system isn't going to suddenly malfunction or become useless. This wouldn't even come out until 2 years after the initial release. And you don't know what it is.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
nintendo-switch-mini.jpg

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why doesn't Nintendo make Joy-Con XL controllers for people who can't hold those small joy-cons?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how people are getting that it'll be a Switch Lite from that translation.

The screen stuff could speak to either. It can be a thinner and longer-lasting device and still be a hardware upgrade. Just look at any mobile phone iteration the last decade.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't both New 3DS and DSi have power upgrades?

It's entirely possible it will get a bump... although it might see limited functionality in practice (it might be something like more RAM for the OS, so it can do Netflix and whatnot...).
However not many games took advantage of those boosts

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to say what it could be. If it's pro I suspect they'll dip into VR but it might just be a refreshed design with no substantial upgrade. I'm not sure what they could lose for a cheap model.

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If it's a more powerful model I'd upgrade asap. If it's a more efficient model of the same size I'll probably upgrade too.

If it's a mini then I'll pass, the screen is already a bit small for my old man eyes.

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of DSL, it had vastly improved size, design and screen. Honestly I was getting original DS vibe from current Switch, not the DSL.. I'm all in for the new model even they don't improve the processing power.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be disappointed if the only difference is a better screen that enables longer battery life. I'm a docked-exclusive player, so an upgrade that only benefits handheld mode is not what I'm looking for. What I'm hoping for is indeed a Switch Pro, but I understand that a tweak similar to the DS Lite is a less complicated move than upgrading the power.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
They made a mistake during the Wii generation and waited too long to deliver an update while momentum was still in their favor....and then it took nearly 10 years to get it back on the console space. They arent interested in repeating the pattern and wait with a more powerful version until its too late. Not with the performance jumps you can have in two years on mobile hardware.

Revision could mean a lot of things to Nintendo... but power is rarely one of those considerations... temper your expectations

Power will be the reason because they have 3rdPartys jumping on board...and there are a bunch of games that would benefit from a more powerful Switch. Sure they will still run on the base unit...but they would be more appealing purchases on a more powerful system.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Makes sense, bundle it with a spare doc or a mobile/travel doc that doesn't fuck up my Switch and you can have all my money nintendo. All of it.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't WSJ claim Zelda mobile was happening?

Yet we got Mario kart before it. Maybe we should chill on this

Oct 27, 2017
It's 2.5 years later. That's how it should work.

You are being quite generous with that time limit, but if this thing is ready to go by summer 2019, we are looking at May/June 2019 at the earliest. That's barely 2 years from the launch of the original Switch. People will buy it, but this move definitely solidifies in my mind that Switch is a handheld and Nintendo is trying to get out front of MS and Sony before we hear about Scarlet and PS5.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Going to start saving for this just in case. My bro can get my old Switch then and we can gameshare. Long term it might make it a zero sum game for me if the starts contributing to game purchases, heh.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
This is just what the Switch needs a new SKU with different abilities than the base to further piss off/confuse 3rd party devs who were too anxious to go too deep into the Switch because it's not a sure bet.

The "NEW" 3DS hasn't received many exclusive titles, and the few they have aren't excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.