• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Probably a slight hardware revision, maybe adjusted screen and better battery life, maybe less scratches from the cradle...
Unlikely to be a "New" more powerful Switch, but who knows.

Either way, this is what I've been waiting for.
Hopefully launching alongside Animal Crossing.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
une-mini-switch-pour-remplacer-la-3ds-48183-491.jpg
could see something like this.
unless the joycons have to be separable for every rendition.

edit:
redacted.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Don't care that much about resolution, but an upgraded tegra soc, bit more ram and a gsync/vrr screen would go a long way.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A Pro model for Switch has been the expectation since the Switch launch. If Nvidia can provide X2, make the unit more efficient/boost battery life, then Nintendo can sell it for $350 and lower the current Switch to $199 as the "affordable option".
Thank You. This is what I'm expecting. Switch Pro for $300 and showing off MP4 on it. And lowering the original Switch at a more affordable price.

Give the original Switch bundles with Animal Crossing and Pokémon gen 8.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
I'm ok with this if Nintendo is smart enough to sell a pack with only the tablet for a lower price. I mean is kinda obvious that they will... Right?

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely curious what this will be. I've never bought one of their hardware revisions before. I think the only thing that would make me consider it is a 1080p screen. But I'm not confident they'll go that route, as they never did with the 3DS.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Oh fuck. Whaaaaaaaaaaaat.

There's almost no way I'm not buying this. I'm probably gonna be 1000% down for this no matter what and now I can have a backup Switch.

Omgggggggggg.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I hope there's no exclusives for the new Switch, don't want to change mine

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
If this is true NTDOY might be in some trouble

How are they gonna push 20M with this elephant

Oct 25, 2017

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would they make a joycon LESS switch?? Seriously then that is a problem for games like Supet Mario Party, which can't even be played in handheld mode.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I see zero chance of them making any Switch than can't actually Switch or one incompatible with joy cons.
The dock I can see being replaced with a revision but the joy cons are here to stay

Booga

Alt account
Banned
Sep 15, 2018
No surprise that a more handheld-focused Switch SKU will launch in time for the first Gen 8 Pokémon game. This gels with Junichi Masuda's comments on how the 2019 game will "have the same kind of feeling as the previous games on handheld systems."

Also seen here from Tsunekazu Ishihara: https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/pokemon-creators-share-more-details-on-upcoming-games/
Yeah I would buy a clamshell dedicated handheld Switch in a second.
nintendo-switch-clamshell-2-e1521558177423.png

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i mean, theoretically they can deliver more battery power and better performance with an update but i seriously doubt they will, it be a switch mini/lite to play new gen pokemon on the go, thats what makes sense

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they make a joycon LESS switch?? Seriously then that is a problem for games like Supet Mario Party, which can't even be played in handheld mode.

Theoretically, it could have a mode that let you connect other joycons via bluetooth, but I agree that this is an unlikely scenario.

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Would it take any wind out of the sails for next-gen console launches?

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
It would take literal magic to have a functioning handheld with that level of power.
Well not the handheld part... but docked mode could be possible. I'm thinking its possible to pull a Xavier with 500 GFLOPs handheld and 1.3 TFLOPs docked in GPU power on paper at the most. 1.3 TFLOP console with 8GB of RAM, A72 core CPU, +130 GB/s bandwidth, could have it punch above xbone base specs in GPU power, and get pretty close to PS4 maybe. If they do upgrade the hybrid specs, I think we'd get a minimum of 1.5x minimum power, which would be X2 territory. So next hybrid tech upgrade could be anywhere between 600 GLOPs to 1.3 TFLOPs. I'm not expecting a 1080p screen, even if its a 500 GFLOP console and could run current 900p swich games at 1080p.. That kind of resolution takes 2.2x more processing power than 720p and it would eat up battery. I'm thinking for xavier, we'd have to get a node down at least to 10nm.

Who knows... Remember when we thought the Switch would have X2 specs and that didn't happen? This is Nintendo we're talking about. We could get a switch with a better screen and smaller bezels with the same power, but a stand alone dedicated console that is as powerful as a PS4 Pro by end of 2020 for all we know.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see what kind of upgrade it is. Would be nice if they use the new tegra to save on battery power and decrease the size of the bezel.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's weird is these only help the handheld experience. Will there be no reason to buy it if you only want it connected to your tv?
Currently Nintendo need to improve Switch's attractiveness to 3DS owners. Nintendo doesn't really need you to upgrade, they don't really care which Switch you play your games on. Helping the handheld experience and lower hardware costs would bring in NEW customers, which they need to finally retire the 3DS.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
If this is true NTDOY might be in some trouble

How are they gonna push 20M with this elephant
Kid: Dad, I want a Nintendo Switch for Christmas.
Dad: Well junior, that sounds great in theory, but have you seen this report in the Japanese Wall Street Journal speculating that sometime within the next 9-12 months, a Nintendo Switch hardware revision of an unknown nature may be released?
Kid: Fuck you

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Switch Lite
Spring 19, replacing the current Switch, 50 USD price drop and launching with Animal Crossing bundle (300)

Switch Pro
Fall 19, high end Switch added to the lineup, launching around Prime 4/Bayo 3/ Doom
Didn't WSJ claim Zelda mobile was happening?

Yet we got Mario kart before it. Maybe we should chill on this
And you think Zelda mobile isnt happening ? Switch success and Mario Run underperforming might have resulted in them going back to the drawing board on what a mobile Zelda should contain.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't nintendo also make a supped up dock with more power when the Switch is in it? Idk much stuff about that.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Something like this could never play Mario Party.
Yes it could, with separately purchased joycons or controllers, which it would still support.

There have already been games that do not support docked or handheld modes. There is no mandatory 'must support every play style' rule.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, why is everyone talking about spec boosts? I thought the article only mentioned screen upgrade and better battery, which would be standard for a Nintendo handheld revision.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I would buy a clamshell dedicated handheld Switch in a second.
nintendo-switch-clamshell-2-e1521558177423.png
That looks cool, but it'd be too big for the hinge I think. I imagine it would snap if the screen is too big. They'd probably have to make it smaller than the standard Switch to prevent that.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, if new Switch version is just a smaller version I won't be getting it, since I love the og design too much. If it gets performance updates I hope we get a version like that for the og Switch size too.

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That looks cool, but it'd be too big for the hinge I think. I imagine it would snap if the screen is too big. They'd probably have to make it smaller than the standard Switch to prevent that.

You ever seen a laptop bruz?

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it could, with separately purchased joycons or controllers, which it would still support.

There have already been games that do not support docked or handheld modes. There is no mandatory 'must support every play style' rule.
There has not, however, been a game that isn't playable out of the box. That's the real issue.

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
It's probably a mini revision to finally replace the 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.