• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017

【BREAKING NEWS】任天堂、新型スイッチを2019年下半期に投入へ #任天堂 #スイッチ #ゲーム

Translated: Nintendo to launch a new switch in the second half of 2019

No other details yet, not article on the Japanese WSJ's site except a breaking headline alert on the top of the page.

EDIT for English article:

TOKYO— Nintendo Co. NTDOY -1.78% plans to release a new version of its Switch videogame console next year to maintain the sales momentum of the device, according to suppliers and others with direct knowledge of the plan.

Sales of the Switch, introduced in March 2017, are still solid but are no longer delivering the favorable surprises that marked the machine's first year on the market. Nintendo shares, which rose sharply last year, have trailed the broader stock market this year. The move to update the Switch suggests the Kyoto, Japan, company is moving quickly to ensure its flagship product doesn't lose competitiveness.

Nintendo is still debating what new hardware and software features to include in the upgrade and weighing the cost of the features, people with knowledge of the discussions said.

One option is improving the display, they said. The current Switch uses a lower-end liquid-crystal display without some technologies that are standard in more recent smartphone LCDs.

Updating the display with these technologies would make it brighter, thinner and more energy-efficient. The updated Switch isn't expected to adopt the organic light-emitting diode or OLED panels used in Apple Inc.'s AAPL 1.22% iPhone X series.

More at the link.

New version of Nintendo Switch may arrive as soon as summer next year, sources say. Machine specs not finalized yet, but one option is improvement on display. 3rd publishers hope new Switch would give clear hint what would happen on 3DS line.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oichi

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Only source right now is here, from Wall Street Journal Japan. Will update later once more info comes out.
https://twitter.com/WSJJapan/status/1047707384955768834

Tweet content:
【BREAKING NEWS】任天堂、新型スイッチを2019年下半期に投入へ

Link to article:
https://jp.wsj.com/articles/SB11872...10891549569238?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=1

FULL ARTICLE - If someone could help translate it, that'd be great. I'm at work right now and don't have time to do a proper translation myself.
【東京】任天堂が人気ゲーム機「ニンテンドースイッチ」の新バージョンを来年にも発売する計画であることが分かった。販売の勢いを維持する狙い。サプライヤーや事情を直接知る複数の関係者が明らかにした。

2017年3月に発売されたスイッチの販売は依然堅調だが、予想以上の売り上げを見せた初年度の勢いは収まった。任天堂の株価は昨年急騰したものの、今年は株式市場全体の伸びを下回っている。同社は旗艦製品の競争力が失われないよう、新型スイッチの発売で素早く手を打つ。

事情に詳しい関係者らによれば、新型スイッチのハードウエアおよびソフト面での機能や、それを実現させるためのコストについては現在も協議が続いている。現行のスイッチはローエンドのLCD(液晶ディスプレー)を搭載しており、そのアップグレードも選択肢の一つだという。

高品質のディスプレーを搭載すれば画面はより明るく薄くなり、バッテリーの消費も抑えられる。だがアップルのiPhone X(アイフォーン・テン)シリーズに搭載された有機ELパネルは採用されない見込み。

関係者によれば、新型スイッチは2019年後半、早ければ夏にも投入される可能性がある。任天堂の広報担当者はこの件についてコメントを差し控えた。

任天堂によると、昨年のスイッチの販売開始から今年6月30日までの販売台数は1970万台。これは現世代で最も人気のあるソニーの据え置き型ゲーム機「プレイステーション(PS)4」に引けを取らない数字だ。スイッチは据え置き機としても携帯機としても利用できる。

任天堂は2019年3月期に2000万台のスイッチを販売するとしている。アナリストらは年末にかけて投入される「大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズSPECIAL」などの人気ソフトが予定通り発売されれば、目標に近い数値は達成できると予測する。

任天堂代表取締役フェローの宮本茂氏は2月、スイッチのライフサイクルを通常よりも長くする意向を示していたため、来年の新型スイッチ発売以降もアップデートは続く可能性がある。

新型スイッチの機能は多くが現行機と共通するものになり、既存のスイッチ向けソフトにも対応するとみられる。

一方、各ゲーム企業や業界は携帯型ゲーム機「ニンテンドー3DS」の展開について、任天堂がどのような判断を示すかにも注目している。任天堂は子供のユーザーにとって3DSは安全で低価格な選択肢だとし、今後も販売を続ける意向を示してきた。だが3DS向けに発売される新作ソフトは減少する一方で、「ポケモン」などの人気フランチャイズは今年からスイッチ向けに販売されている。

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
As long as I can play my current digital and physical games on this, I am on board.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
maxresdefault.jpg

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Switch Pro? Nintendo is doing what it looks like I said. A Switch Pro for second half of 2019 and use Metroid Prime 4 to show off the power.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I just hope that future games keep supporting the 'old' version as well.
(I mention this because of the 3DS/New 3DS situation)

There is a chance for the PS5 to be released during the holidays of 2019.
If both things happen, it would be a very interesting situation indeed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a smaller one-piece Switch for kids.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
So 2 and a half years, is this a hint that they expect Sony and Microsoft to launch in 2019 as well?

Volo

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if it will a different form factor or an updated version of the current Switch with battery improvements, etc.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If they're just making a Switch Lite/Mini or whatever, I'll likely just keep my current one.

Edit: Nvm just realized it said Switch Pro which means I'm in

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like SOP for Nintendo if they're building off the handheld line model (though they've consistently insisted this is a HOME CONSOLE, maybe this is them finally fully embracing it as the true hybrid it is, hopefully this means no 3DS successor).

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Interested to see how this will work cause I can't see them abandoning the joy con, so the form factor can't be too different

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Article seems to suggest they are still nailing down the hardware but an option for a better screen for lower power consumption

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Happy to have a substantial upgrade to the Switch, though it's hard for me to imagine what things they can improve when in the previous three generations of Nintendo handhelds it was easy to see what they could do.

Either way, will convert my old Switch to a handheld homebrew machine.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds about right - i expected a Switch Pro before PS5/XBox.

If they're just making a Switch Lite/Mini or whatever, I'll likely just keep my current one.

Edit: Nvm just realized it said Switch Pro which means I'm in

Nah, they will have two Switches.
The current one will get likely a Lite redesign and replace the 3DS - the new one will keep the current Switch price and be more powerful version of the base system - ala DSi/n3DS.

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
Nice, I'll almost definitely pick it up. Here's hope for better resolution and processing power.

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Glad I waited. Can wait a few more months.

Too bad I will miss out on the homebrew.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Nice, guess it's runs Switch games in docked mode performance in handheld mode if they waited this long

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Adjusted the thread title a bit as it's unannounced as of now. When they announce it we can say it's coming for sure, and I can order mine if it's not a smaller version.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
This should be labeled a "rumor", in the article it says "according to sources in the supplychain".

Status
Not open for further replies.