• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_YCru_yxzo

Thanks to Jubern for providing a summary of this Japanese interview:
So I watched the Tokita interview on YouTube and it is actually pretty interesting, Tokita does a good job of explaining why the game is how it is and works so well.

Some excerpts:
- First game he directed: he's very attached to it, but as a producer he recognizes it was a commercial failure and never thought it'd come up for a remake,
- The impulse came from Nintendo who asked them to put the game on Virtual Console for the 20th anniversary - some people over there really liked the game. There would never have been a remake without them unearthing LAL to begin with,
- Game is (obviously) a melting pot of influences, he wanted people to experience all kind of situations and to be a showing of what games could bring to the table as a medium,
- The game's script was purposefully wrote to be impactful in a very manga/anime way (leading to stuff like the "Sodaro- Matsu!" in the post just before me). It was always wrote as if it would be voiced. Tokita himself wanted to be a voice actor before entering the game industry and is very knowledgeable about Japanese VO culture,
- The way they selected voice actors is super simple: it's mostly the actors Tokita had in his mind back in the day writing the characters or younger actors who played the game as kids and are passionate about it. I suppose the latter references directly people like Sugita Tomokazu (appears in all time periods) or Nakamura Yuichi (Oersted), while the former is about the older cast like Otsuka Akio, Inoue Kazuhiko, Ishimaru Hiroya.
- They took extra care in the remake to try and enhance the way the script works, by breaking down some dialog differently (some stuff that was one text box becomes two, so a catchphrase even more exposure) and timing music changes (such as Megalovania kicking in) to button presses advancing the text,
- DraQue is the game that geared him towards the industry,
- He candidly says that the game's structure is 100% lifted from DQ4,
- Asano's team HD2D engine reveal was a "You did it motherfu**er!" moment for Tokita,
- The development went very smoothly generally speaking,
- Music was a very important undertaking, they didn't want to denature the soundtrack and spent some time deciding what track should have live instruments, etc.

Lock if Oldio

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
This is almost certainly gonna be my GOTY. However it got made the way it did I am very thankful.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Think there's a pretty big difference between thread title and what was actually said.

The impulse came from Nintendo who asked them to put the game on Virtual Console for the 20th anniversary - some people over there really liked the game. There would never have been a remake without them unearthing LAL to begin with.

Square deciding to make the remake after unearthing the game due to Nintendo asking to put it on VC =/= Square deciding to make the remake because Nintendo asked for the remake.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Well thank you Nintendo then, first time I discovered that game and enjoyed it a lot. And also Asano's team for that wonderful HD-2D that permitted stuff like this.
Live a Live is the most beautiful HD-2D game yet, but DraQue 3 Remake is coming and is a serious challenger.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Really looking forward to starting this, haven't quite got there yet but almost done with MonHun for now

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Think there's a pretty big difference between thread title and what was actually said.

Square deciding to make the remake after unearthing the game due to Nintendo asking to put it on VC =/= Square deciding to make the remake because Nintendo asked for the remake.

I don't know if it's a big difference. I guess it's not the same thing, but had Nintendo not asked for a rerelease on VC, the HD remake probably would have never happened

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's a big difference. I guess it's not the same thing, but had Nintendo not asked for a rerelease on VC, the HD remake probably would have never happened

That's true, but Nintendo asking for a straight up remake is pretty different in my eyes, rather than asking for a re-release on VC and Square deciding by their own volition to remake the game.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's true, but Nintendo asking for a straight up remake is pretty different in my eyes, rather than asking for a re-release on VC and Square deciding by their own volition to remake the game.

I updated the thread title!

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Huh, makes me wonder if there'd have been a translation of the original SNES version for overseas or just a Japan VC release only. Very glad we got the HD2D remake instead either way.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Should prob update the title

Edit: and done

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Well, thanks Nintendo. Glad more people got to experience Live A Live.

... Though I think the title kinda overstates it, since they just wanted a VC rerelease :P

Yeah, that.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020

Classic Diipu thread

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
There are so many japanese SFC RPGs that aren't translated (no fan translations even) that I'll never be able to play. So amazing that they remade this, wish more games would follow.

I know LAL got a fan translation but I never played it that way. The Switch remake however is amazing.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't they ask for Chrono trigger
Yes, why didn't they ask for game that has had plenty of re-releases. Please give us a game that we've already played through in multiple ways pls S-E pls. Fuck that game that nobody has had a chance to play in English before. Go away Live A Live >:(

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
No complaints here. Pleasantly surprised by it and while I wish some stories had a bit more to them, it ended up as a neat, concise package that didn't overstay its welcome by any means (Like, say, Octopath Traveler).

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Whatever the circumstances, we're lucky to have the remake. It's a beautiful update to a unique and ambitious game.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Why didn't they ask for Chrono trigger
I'd rather live in this timeline where the brilliant, never before released in the west game got a beautiful, labor-of-love remake Tokita and others had been wanting to make for years than be in the timeline in which CT of all games, the one I've beaten like 12+ times, got it instead. Plus CT is perfect as it is, adding HD2D to it wouldn't even be that much of a glow up compared to the massive step up it is for LaL (mostly for the beautiful sprite work, not the gimmicky 3D stuff, but I can live with it and even I'll admit it's the best the effect has looked).

Also, as much as I love Chrono Trigger, they asked for the better game tbh.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the game was average, but I'm still glad that it was remade for those who like it. We need more remakes like it. There are still some Japan only jrpgs on SNES that I'd like them to do.