• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
8.0 on Pitchfork:

pitchfork.com

Tame Impala: The Slow Rush

On his fourth album, Kevin Parker takes a breath and eases into a smoother psychedelic sound. Even without the adrenaline-filled highs, the compositions are as rich and thoughtful as ever.

They even call out the yacht rock sound, like I just did. I swear I hadn't read this yet!

He intended to release The Slow Rush just before headlining Coachella last April, but he didn't feel like it was ready yet. You could sense that flux in the album rollout: First single "Patience" hinted at a yacht-rock direction but ultimately didn't make the cut; second single "Borderline" was trimmed and beefed up for the LP; and the whole thing was remastered following a November 2019 listening party, where he couldn't stop noticing things he wanted to tweak. Given time, Parker will tinker.

This "sampled but not" sensibility, along with Parker's constant use of boom-bap-style drums, is one of the ways that Tame Impala makes rock music that feels in conversation with hip-hop. And while Parker employs more acoustic instrumentation here than on Currents, The Slow Rush is also shot through with the effortless pulse of house music—the kind of grooves that dare you not to dance. On the kinetic opener "One More Year," the record's initial beat sneaks up from behind a robot chorus with a tremolo effect and doesn't let up until everyone's had a chance to strut and pose through the bass and conga breakdowns, and Parker's made his little coach's speech ("We got a whole year! 52 weeks! Seven days each...").

This is a decidedly more upbeat Parker. There's another person firmly in the frame with him now, an implied "we" as the newly wed Parker sees the next 50-ish years spread out in front of him—imagining kids, coming to terms with the choices he's made, the whole bit.

The worst you can say for The Slow Rush is that when you offer multipart epics on multipart epics, you're bound to have some sections that feel less crucial by comparison. "Posthumous Forgiveness" and "Tomorrow's Dust" both go on a passage or two longer than they should. The falsetto-led melody that opens early-album victory lap, "Instant Destiny," feels incessant and cloistered until the song opens up a bit, thanks in part to a luxe xylophone break. "Lost in Yesterday" tries to edge up an aggressively beachy vibe with Daft Punk vocals and dub effects, and ends up feeling a little dated; then again, I could see it killing at all those big festivals the band will headline over the next few years.

Parker may want to be a Max Martin type in another facet of his career, but in his own band, he's still the same sonic-maximalist introvert searching for inner peace.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
yikes that's by far their worst p4k score yet then

...which sounds right given the songs I've heard. I'll listen later today hopefully there's some bangers on the album hiding

theres some slander on Currents ITT and its disgusting. that album is a modern masterpiece.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Hearing the singles I figured this album would be a step away from the psychedelic themes, and a step closer to pop-ish music, which I guess makes sense as Tame Impala became mainstream a few years after Currents was out.
The album is definitely good, but I still think Tame is at its best when mixing rock & psychedelia.
Oh well, I'm gonna give it a few more good listens and it might click better.

May 17, 2018
reading the thoughts of you die hard Tame fans is fascinating as I'm new to homie, and am working my way though his albums backwards lol

i've listened to The Slow Rush twice already and am now finishing Currents (i work third shift and we're not busy tonight).

on first blush The Slow Rush is a much better album but both are very excellent. This song "New Person, Same Old Mistakes" is an all-timer holy shit. Same for "Eventually" and "Past Life".

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
yikes that's by far their worst p4k score yet then

...which sounds right given the songs I've heard. I'll listen later today hopefully there's some bangers on the album hiding

theres some slander on Currents ITT and its disgusting. that album is a modern masterpiece.
Agree heavily,, Currents slander makes me immediately disregard your opinion , sorry

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Me right now:
giphy.gif

ExpandedKang

Oct 30, 2017
One more year is so damn good, honestly it's one of my favorite tame tracks already. Honestly I wish the album went further in this direction and a little bit more experimental/electronic.

I don't think the highs are as high as currents but it's more consistent all round. Gotta give it a few more listens to come to grips with it properly. I have to admit I think the falsetto vocals are a bit grating at times.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea this was releasing today. I loved Currents so I'm hyped to give this a listen tonight!

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Currents hater here.

I like it quite a bit. Standouts so far are probably One More Year and On Track for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Didn't do much for me tbh. I have The Men for classic inflected rock and Caribou for my hip-hop indebted psych pop. It's fine but a little vanilla and way too long.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Like two good tracks on this record. The rest is so-so work from an average band with one or two bops. Fitting I suppose.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Very clearly an evolution from Currents in terms of sound, I would say it's maybe a shade below Currents for me but tied right with Innerspeaker, which are all above Lonerism which is mediocre.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Just wanna throw out there that the new TENNIS record dropped also.... definitely hitting that Valentine's Day spot.

And this (Pat of Women's new band) -- if you want a more spooky Valentine's

Last edited:

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how I feel about this "Borderline" rework, I like how buried Kevin's vocals were on the original single and I miss the whining synth on the "Will I be known and loved?" bit.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Torn on the Borderline rework as well. Just hope Spotify leaves the single version as-is so I can swap between the two. Definitely digging the album overall. Breathe Deeper and Tomorrow's Dust are my favorite non-singles.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit I totally forgot it was releasing today, I loved all the singles they released so I can't wait to listen to the full thing. Curious about the Borderline rework

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Breathe Deeper and Tomorrow's Dust are a fantastic combo. Think these are my top two tracks!

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
Saving my first listen until Saturday when my wife and kid will be out of town and I can crank it on my stereo. Really looking forward to it!

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Borderline is quite a bit better in the single version imo, it's so weird that they reworked it. At least the single version is still here

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Currents hater here.

I like it quite a bit. Standouts so far are probably One More Year and On Track for me.
K as someone who has loved TI since Innerspeaker and dug Currents for what it was (and was happy it propelled him to a level of fame and mainstream success), I'd really like to hear your rare opinion. Haven't heard it yet but it seems as though Currents/newer fans like it, older fans less so. What does it deliver for you that Currents didn't? And how do you like his older works?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanna throw out there that the new TENNIS record dropped also.... definitely hitting that Valentine's Day spot.

And this (Pat of Women's new band) -- if you want a more spooky Valentine's

So happy someone mentioned Tennis, was thinking about making a thread for Swimmer. Anyway. Great day for music

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
K as someone who has loved TI since Innerspeaker and dug Currents for what it was (and was happy it propelled him to a level of fame and mainstream success), I'd really like to hear your rare opinion. Haven't heard it yet but it seems as though Currents/newer fans like it, older fans less so. What does it deliver for you that Currents didn't? And how do you like his older works?
as an older fan I like this more than Currents

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc

Loved Innerspeaker, didn't like Lonerism, adored Currents and think this is really great, coming from someone who's been into them for a long time

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
yikes this is a mess so far

the vocals on One More Year.. Kevin sis.. keep it

I can see why people here would like it more cuz it's more acoustic and rockist, but this just feels like watered down people pleasing music for festivals. I wish they evolved further into their psych-electronic thing which was a sound they kind of pioneered, instead they run from it trying to please older fans. ends up feeling soulless where Currents felt like breaking ground. I love Lonerism too, btw

I like "It Might Be Time" the most still, along with Patience which didn't make it for whatever reason.

Nov 11, 2017
I like Lost in Yesterday but most everything else sounds like something he could bang out in an afternoon.

for me, Lonerism was his best album... good mix of experimenting with great songwriting. Currents onwards I didn't mind the shift into more synths/keyboards but the songwriting has become so simple compared to Innerspeaker/Lonerism.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
I don't want to shit all over it because a lot of people really like Currents. It was a different direction that just didn't click with me.

This to me sounds more like what I would've expected a follow-up to Lonerism to sound like. Something a little more rooted in psychedelic rock (which is what I came to TI for in the first place.)

My favorite album of his is Lonerism with Innerspeaker being a close second.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Gonna light up later and listen to this. Loved their EP, Innerspeaker and Lonerism. Didn't like Currents much at first but it grew on me even if it is my least favorite.

Interested in how I feel about this one. Also as someone who has depression and social anxiety I still find a lot of Kevin's lyrics kinda cringey.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Spotify recommends Tennis to me on the daily and they still never clicked with me.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Listened through the record again, man, Kevin is going through some shit lol. Every track is about to incite an existential crisis in me. I'm here for it though.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
yikes this is a mess so far

the vocals on One More Year.. Kevin sis.. keep it

I can see why people here would like it more cuz it's more acoustic and rockist, but this just feels like watered down people pleasing music for festivals. I wish they evolved further into their psych-electronic thing which was a sound they kind of pioneered, instead they run from it trying to please older fans. ends up feeling soulless where Currents felt like breaking ground. I love Lonerism too, btw

I like "It Might Be Time" the most still, along with Patience which didn't make it for whatever reason.

99 my thoughts, especially the bolded. I wouldn't call it a mess but I do not inhabit the same universe as some people ITT who put this above a Currents.