• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On first listen, it is underwhelming.

There's no moment on this album that feels as mindblowing as "Let It Happen." The tracks don't feel as dynamic as tracks like "Love/Paranoia" or "Eventually". "Currents" felt fresh and exciting, while this plays with the same sonic elements of "Currents" without evolving.

Part of me thinks that this album is to Tame Impala as "Assume Form" was to James Blake: albums that took what were once signature styles and watered them down into something more pop and accessible. Both albums contain the occasional moment of brilliance, but those moments are the minority when they were once the majority.

While I do still enjoy the fact there is a new Tame Impala record out in the world, it's a shame that Kevin went more pop with this record.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
If it calls you, embrace it
If it haunts you, face it

EQwRHhOUUAANGVi

Lmao this is perfect.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Really am not feeling this all that much. I think Currents was probably too high a mark to hit again but I'm sad that it's not even close.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Count me in as someone who's not too hot on Currents. I still dig it but I find myself returning to Lonerism more. That said, I enjoyed a lot of moments/individual bits here. The guitar in the outro to One More Hour is tight and the background vocals to One More Year hit the spot for me. I wish Patience was included but ya can't win them all.

Anyone else feel like Instant Destiny is mis-ordered on the track list?

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Listened to it all. All I got's to say is they chose the correct songs for singles. The rest is whatever.

TheGameshark

Oct 27, 2017
Catonsville, MD
I like it on first listen. I didn't love currents aside from a few tracks so I was really glad listening to this to hear the drums coming back into the mix more. Much of the songs still aren't as interesting compositionally as much of Lonerism or Innerspeaker.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I also have to say the cover art is fucking incredible, too. He always nails the "aesthetic".

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna light up later and listen to this. Loved their EP, Innerspeaker and Lonerism. Didn't like Currents much at first but it grew on me even if it is my least favorite.

Interested in how I feel about this one. Also as someone who has depression and social anxiety I still find a lot of Kevin's lyrics kinda cringey.
Kev has his moments for sure but on the whole I have to agree that he's a pretty bad lyricist.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I know Posthumous Forgiveness doesn't sample Redbone, but fuck with it being so close why not just sample it

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lsst forty seconds to One More Hour deserves to be like, stretched out to five minutes more. Hope that's the way he goes for the live show, Mind Mischief with Sestri Levante is a different beast.
I know Posthumous Forgiveness doesn't sample Redbone, but fuck with it being so close why not just sample it
Could be completely off here but I think Redbone's in a major key and PF sounds minor. Different vibe.

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Really enjoyed it on first listen, but not as much as the other albums on first time through.
Seems like an album that will grow on me more in subsequent listens.

The only thing I'm actively not happy about is not including "Patience" on this record. I can't understand that decision.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed it on first listen, but not as much as the other albums on first time through.
Seems like an album that will grow on me more in subsequent listens.

The only thing I'm actively not happy about is not including "Patience" on this record. I can't understand that decision.
album is already too long, putting in another five minute song would not have helped

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's solid, I'm a big fan of breathe deeper and borderline (I purposely waited for the album before listening). I'll need to hear it more over time but right now it's like a solid 8 for me. He's done better but it's still good stuff

Plover

Oct 27, 2017
I was obsessed with the Borderline single for ages so I'm not feeling the album version at all.

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
Melody Echo Chamber last record was a better Tame Impala record than anything Tame Impala's done after their breakup.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
On first listen, it is underwhelming.

There's no moment on this album that feels as mindblowing as "Let It Happen." The tracks don't feel as dynamic as tracks like "Love/Paranoia" or "Eventually". "Currents" felt fresh and exciting, while this plays with the same sonic elements of "Currents" without evolving.

Part of me thinks that this album is to Tame Impala as "Assume Form" was to James Blake: albums that took what were once signature styles and watered them down into something more pop and accessible. Both albums contain the occasional moment of brilliance, but those moments are the minority when they were once the majority.

While I do still enjoy the fact there is a new Tame Impala record out in the world, it's a shame that Kevin went more pop with this record.

I couldn't have said it better myself

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
There's enough here that I like to get my super excited to see them live. A few bangers here for sure, at least.

RedEye

Oct 25, 2017
Album is great, dont know if it hits the same highs as Currents but i definitely want to pick up the 2 colored vinyl

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Record is excellent. It's not Currents but I didn't anticipate that nor expect it. Kevin's drum programming is unmatched.

Seeing them and Clairo at The Forum in a couple weeks. So pumped.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
After first listen, I like it mostly. There's a few I really enjoyed and the production is mint all around.

It doesn't reach the heights of Innerspeaker or Lonerism though. Not even close.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
Outside of the singles, my favorite tracks are: Breathe Deeper, Tomorrow's Dust, and Is It True. One More Hour is the weakest track for me and I'll probably skip it in the future.
Edit: It's a shame he cut Patience from the album. I thought it was really good.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I like it, but after one listen nothing new hits me on the level of the singles, and DEFINITELY not as hard as Currents. Gonna give it more time though, I'm sure it'll grow on me

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Was listening to a random new music playlist and really vibbing on a song and it turns out it was Tame Impala wtf

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
One More Year ---> Instant Destiny ---> Borderline is a hell of a way to kick off an album

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This album is layered as fuck. Definitely need multiple listens to dig it. Lost in Yesterday is my favourite so far

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Weird he cut patience when he redid borderline ror the album. Feel like he could have done some additions if he wasnt happy with it

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
Favourite tracks so far are Borderline, Tomorrow's Dust, On Track, Lost in Yesterday and Is It True.