• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't put it up with the first three records, I don't think. There is a lack of hooks on the record overall, but despite that there are some earworms on here. Breathe Deeper and Is It True are pure pop hits. I think there is still depth to most of the tracks here, the songs have a ridiculous amount of attention to detail. The first track for example is so lush. Nothing hits quite as hard as Let It Happen, then again most songs don't. I think the last track is about as close to that, but in a different manner as he weaves in and out of different styles.

Also, Kevin has never been the best lyricist some of that corniness definitely sticks out here. I can't stand the "52 WEEKS!" part in One More Year, to the point where it almost ruins a solid opener. Posthumous is one of the more affecting songs he's written and one of the clear standouts with some of the psychedelic touches.

In a way it's disappointing to not have a clear cut mainstream rock album, but if you listened to Currents you shouldn't have expected that. I think the first two albums are plenty satisfying in that realm too. We'll see how it stands over time but right now I dig it a good amount, will be a perfect spring/summer record.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Currents is a modern pop masterpiece.

Most of the stuff on this album feels like a less focused continuation of that sound and in turn is less novel.

However

One More Hour is fucking mega. Amazing production. The sounds of his previous albums coalescing to create something fresh.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Posthumous Forgiveness is like...very good. Especially in the latter half.
Something about the last section of the song really hits me on an emotional level, which is something that I honestly rarely see when listening to music. (I'm usually just focused on the music itself) But the way he's singing to (presumably) his dad about him being in Abbey Road, talking to Mick Jagger, wanting to share his songs and success with him... the music and sound is fairly light but those lines hit hard.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what you call it but I really dig this reverb-y beat on One More Year that sounds like its echoing up and down a hallway.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Something about the last section of the song really hits me on an emotional level, which is something that I honestly rarely see when listening to music. (I'm usually just focused on the music itself) But the way he's singing to (presumably) his dad about him being in Abbey Road, talking to Mick Jagger, wanting to share his songs and success with him... the music and sound is fairly light but those lines hit hard.

Yeah...it's pretty sad. But it's so damn smooth too. I find myself singing it from time to time.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Currents is a modern pop masterpiece.

Most of the stuff on this album feels like a less focused continuation of that sound and in turn is less novel.

However

One More Hour is fucking mega. Amazing production. The sounds of his previous albums coalescing to create something fresh.

I don't know how this can be considered less focused than currents.

If anything this feels like a more focused currnets.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breathe Deeper is extremely my shit

edit: upon further reflection I would say Breethe Deeper and It Might Be Time are the best tracks on the album but overall it is a strong record.

will take time to see if it will unseat Currents as my favorite.

Last edited:

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...it's pretty sad. But it's so damn smooth too. I find myself singing it from time to time.
Right! That's what I think is so good/deceptive about it. Such a smooth jam and a great hook but it really hits you when you stop and think through it.

Breathe Deeper is so good. I think this album is a lot more layered and complex than Currents, even if that album may have more standout songs and is stronger overall.

I need to get tickets to see him this year.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
The more I listen to this, the more I feel that this is to Currents what Lonerism was to Innerspeaker.

Currents also has some incredible highs but also some bad lows (Cause I'm a man is easily his worst song IMO, and I skip it every time) Whereas with TSR I don't think there's a bad track, I mean Instant Destiny is the weakest but it's not bad and it's also growing on me as well.

Edit: on the subject of Borderline, I like the production more, but i miss the longer lyrics section, the back and forth he has with himself on the single version is fantastic and I really wish he hadn't chopped it half and repeated it.

Edit 2: also the more I listen to Glimmer, the more I think it would be an amazing lead in to Let to Happen when he plays live.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tbh I hope his upcoming tour doesn't lean too heavily into this album. Was thinking about going to the show at the Gorge.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
People like Breathe Deeper? I think it's the worst song here. Terrible lyrics.

Overall, I think this is a solid 7/10 for me. Currents was a 10/10, though so I can't help but be a bit disappointed by this. Currents has 3 or 4 tracks that are legit top 50 tracks of the entire last decade for me. Nothing here reaches that level for me.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This album hit me like a ton of bricks. Full disclosure, I was stoned as hell when I first put the record on the turntable, and One More Year flat out made me cry. The robot chant interspersing with the music, the lyrics (had em' in front of me when I was listening), the way the song evolves...fuck.

Even on repeat (sober) listens though - this album just hits me...of course this is intentional and best case scenario - but it's like KP and I are on the same wavelength when it comes to so many of the thoughts on this record, and it's insane. Currents was an amazing record, but the lyrics never really did anything for me - they always felt mostly surface (apart from a few exceptions) - but this album is just...wow.

I see so many criticisms of the album surrounding the lack of sonic experimentation - and to that I say "buy new headphones". This album is insanely musical and satisfying to listen to - and even if it's not quite as "psych" as previous TI albums, it's not really trying to be. This is like psychedelic disco funk for modern times, and it's insanely unique. Every 20 seconds something happens musically that puts a big smile on my face, or makes me shake my head in disbelief.

10/10, I've listened to it front to back maybe 8 times now and I don't feel like stopping any time soon. I'd pick a favourite, but shit man, every track on here floors me. I didn't listen to the singles a whole lot as they came out, as I prefer to listen to albums front to back, so every track on here feels fresh for me.

It's the kind of thing I (a recording artist who writes and produces everything independently) wish I'd written myself, and it's the kind of thing that makes me reevaluate where I'm at with my own stuff as a musician. Not that all music needs to be the same or anything like that, but KP just sets a new standard every time he hits "record", it's crazy.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
It's growing on me but I keep going back to Currents because that record is just a straight up banger. But I won't force myself because that's dumb.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
One More Hour has really grown on me and is one of my favorites, the first two songs on the album especially are really not good though imo

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
So this is interesting, if you listen closely to On Track, at 4:37 you can hear Kevin yell "still on track mothafuckaaa!" In the background.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah it's there but the motherfucker is easier to hear than the "I'm still on track" lol

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This whole album is incredible, Tame Impala really doesn't miss.

Breathe Deeper is favorite song and Lost in Yesterday's music video is just marvelous to watch.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Solid album listening to it 4 or 5 times all the way through now. Maybe not as revolutionary as their last album, but none of the songs are really "skips" for me either.

OP
OP
PROh1bited

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think The Slow Rush has a more consistent flow then Currents. Currents has the better highs though.

Also One More Year and One More Hour are hitting the feels deep with what it's like in our world right now.

XenodudeX

Oct 25, 2017
Jacksonville, Florida
Just listened to the entire album while on lockdown. God damn this album is so fucking good.

Like, I don't follow music super closely, but that might honestly change with Tame Impala. It's just amazing how consistently good they (he?) are.

Breath Deeper is probably my favorite, followed by It might be Time. Just fucking great songs.

Insane Dead

Oct 25, 2017
Saw them live at The Forum in Los Angeles last month and every song from the slow rush they played lived was so amazing.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Yep, to echo others itt, I just had the realization very recently that Breath Deeper is the best song on the album. Posthumous Forgiveness is a very close second. They're both so fucking good. I love this album.

I also warmed up to One More Hour as of late. I particularly like the end.

The only song I'm still "meh" about is "Is it True"

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Oh well, while I'm already here.
Tier List Time!

S:
Breath Deeper
Posthumous Forgiveness

A+:
Instant Destiny (I'm sorry, but I really like this song and only wish it was longer 😁)

A:
One More Year
It Might Be Time
Lost In Yesterday
Tomorrow's Dust

B+:
Borderline (The single version would've placed higher)
On Track (This could move up as I spend more time with it)

B-:
One More Hour

C:
Is it True
Glimmer