• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Palpatine was so ahead of the game, he knew Han and Leia were gonna bang and have a kid so he just chilled for 30 something years before coming out.

tiddles

Oct 29, 2017
Certainly looks like Snoke got mangled to hell and back by Sheev if nothing else.

Dude looks like a beat up chew toy.

My theory - Snoke was an alien (played by Matt Smith, who's only pretending not to be in it, in a flashback) who wanted to resurrect the Sith, found the Emperor's spirit and brought him back in return for force power, which in the process horribly disfigured him. Meanwhile, Palpatine has been slowly returning to his former power, directing the rise of the First Order from afar via Snoke and Kylo Ren...

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Palpatine will remain the unmatched superior Star Wars villain imo. This man fucked with 3 generations of Skywalker lmfaooooooooooooo and used them to become ruler of the galaxy TWICE LOL.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Sheev has a totally incomprehensible voice cameo in the Force vision sequence in TFA. It makes more sense if he's been watching over events this whole time!

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So did Obi Wan. This wasn't planned. Colin has said that he wasn't gonna bring Palpatine in. That's on JJ.

In Abrams' defense it's not like he had any choice. Snoke was dead and Ben was entirely unfit to be the Big Bad. So he brought back Palpatine, the Big Bad of the other two trilogies, then framed the sequel trilogy as some sort of finale to the "Skywalker Saga".

Considering what they had to work with, I think they might actually pull it off.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
In Abrams' defense it's not like he had any choice. Snoke was dead and Ben was entirely unfit to be the Big Bad. So he brought back Palpatine, the Big Bad of the other two trilogies, then framed the sequel trilogy as some sort of finale to the "Skywalker Saga".

Considering what they had to work with, I think they might actually pull it off.

Possibly, just depends on what you mean by unfit though. I think you meant that he just wasn't a good enough bad guy yet to be able to provide enough tension for the good guys. I think an un-experienced and unpredictable leader might have made for good story potential. Main problem is, TLJ's end just doesn't really leave much story potential to build a final showdown that Trilogy usually have. We are left with the resistance being tattered and honestly, the New Order also seems dead because it lost its flagship, leader, and many of its other big ships... and it is lead by a hothead in Kylo Ren.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I hate everything about this story development ( and other things...) but It's going to look gorgeous ,Driver is amazing, and it's finally the last film dealing with any of this so I'll deal.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Possibly, just depends on what you mean by unfit though. I think you meant that he just wasn't a good enough bad guy yet to be able to provide enough tension for the good guys. I think an un-experienced and unpredictable leader might have made for good story potential. Main problem is, TLJ's end just doesn't really leave much story potential to build a final showdown that Trilogy usually have. We are left with the resistance being tattered and honestly, the New Order also seems dead because it lost its flagship, leader, and many of its other big ships... and it is lead by a hothead in Kylo Ren.

Oh no, I mean he was treated much too often as comic relief. It would've been a very tough sell to convince people that Ben is an actual Bad Guy when it feels like half his scenes involve him throwing tantrums with comical reactions from people nearby.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ & Rogue One have massively superior cinematography. TFA looked good after how awful the prequels looked but it's not that great.

They are different kinds. TLJ may have breathtaking compositions and Rogue One has aesthetic on point, neither has the movement and energy that JJ brings.

They could have always gone with Lucas' idea and use Darth Talon, but that would not have been as exciting.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That seems like a pretty big spoiler for a TV spot.

It's not, since Palpatine was known since the first name-reveal trailer. However, this is the closest we have gotten to some sort of premise in marketing material.

Wait, so this could be an opening scene then?

Wouldn't surprise me. Disney is one company who usually is very diligent of only showing the first few minutes of any major movie in marketing materials (same thing was done with Endgame).

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It's not, since Palpatine was known since the first name-reveal trailer. However, this is the closest we have gotten to some sort of premise in marketing material.

I mean that him telling Kylo that he has been manipulating him since the beginning. That seems like a pretty big spoiler.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017

Palpatine: At last, my boy, I have been every voice you have ever heard inside your head.

This could be the very first line of the movie. That's speculation on my part btw.
That would be good, actually. Get this shit out right at the beginning and make time for all the other shit to happen. If it happened after Kylo looks for the "missing planet" or something for 20~30 minutes, they'd be delaying a lot of momentum.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
That would be good, actually. Get this shit out right at the beginning and make time for all the other shit to happen. If it happened after Kylo looks for the "missing planet" or something for 20~30 minutes, they'd be delaying a lot of momentum.

Same. Let's get to the good stuff already. We know Palpatine is in this film.

It's be jarring on rewatches though when you go from TLJ to TROS.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed that there is some of the score played at the very start of the clip is close to the same stuff when you see Darth Maul on tatooine during episode I.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sam Jackson would have killed Sheev if not for Anakin, before he even got to execute Order 1, much less 2-65. Yet we're supposed to accept Sheev as this quasi-immortal Force Satan who survived getting mega nuked and lived for another 30 years to manipulate events on a galaxy-wide scale from his hideout on the toilet planet.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sam Jackson would have killed Sheev if not for Anakin, before he even got to execute Order 1, much less 2-65. Yet we're supposed to accept Sheev as this quasi-immortal Force Satan who survived getting mega nuked and lived for another 30 years to manipulate events on a galaxy-wide scale from his hideout on the toilet planet.

It's more likely that he's back as a ghost or something less corporeal rather than a true resurrection. Or it could be a clone. But I'm not anticipating "we just got him all the way back through this special ritual" or anything. So I don't think he's been hanging out the whole time.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I was worried they were going to only have him show up toward the end, but this makes me excited that that may not be the case.
If Anakin isn't in this then this entire trilogy is cancelled.
There's no way he's not. The emotional impact of him having a talk with Ben is too obvious and too good to pass up

Last edited:

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so this could be an opening scene then?

JJ did the same thing with TFA, where he just straight up got out of the way that Kylo Ren is Han Solo's son instead of making it a big reveal later in the movie.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
This is probably going to be the most visually stunning Star Wars movie ever, paired with some epic music all throughout.
But the story...the story is going to suffer like a man with raging, groundhogging diarrhea stuck in a traffic jam.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
This is probably going to be the most visually stunning Star Wars movie ever, paired with some epic music all throughout.
But the story...the story is going to suffer like a man with raging, groundhogging diarrhea stuck in a traffic jam.

Which is why I'm going to treat it like the last season of Game of Thrones, I will talk about it for a day and then I will move on with my life because there are going to be some things in this film that I will never be ok with story wise.

Oct 27, 2017
Okay fuck fine you got me.

Been feeling pretty ambivalent towards this movie because the last two were so "meh". But Palps being back and old abandoned Sith temples has me keen as hell.

Is that Korriban? Or some other place?

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Didn't Palpatine say Plagueis taught his apprentice everything he knew? Since it's kinda obvious Palpatine was that apprentice, what if he knew the secret to immortality all along and just told Anakin they'd figure it out together to get him on his side?

At least that way Palpatine surviving makes sense because he literally can't die. Or there's a ritual he knows of that can bind his soul to a body or whatever.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sheev was playing possum.

All according to plan.

Nov 11, 2017
Palp was obviously more powerful but pretended to be weak to get Anakin to turn dark?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it is. It actually... sounds like Unkar Plutt (I know it's not, but it does!). I think the "my boy" is Snoke, although it also sounds like Han which I can see Palpatine whipping out to really fuck with Ben

Here's my read:

At last: Palpatine

My boy: Palpatine

I have been every voice: Palpatine

You have ever heard: Snoke

Inside your head: Vader

*cackle*: Palpatine

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned