• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
TLDR: Am I missing vital story information not playing Telltale's Game of Thrones?

I'm a generally new fan to Game of Thrones. My girlfriend has been a long time fan since the show first started on HBO, but it hasn't really crossed my path until the last couple years. Fast forward to this past summer, when hype for the final season started, we ended up picking up the current box set of the series that has Seasons 1-7. Since August (per an "online challenge" we saw prior to watching), we've been watching two episodes a week so we'd both be all caught up with the upcoming final season. The series is a lot more intriguing than I gave it credit for prior. We're in the middle of Season 6 now.

RIP Hodor :-(

Anywho, I am also aware that the series has a lot of moving parts, and there were a couple times when starting where I had to read up on the show's extras to keep up with a few backstory stuff (Robert's Rebellion had me confused, especially considering I was just learning everyone's name). However, there's another entity I just remembered: The Telltale Game. As far as I know, it deals with a separate house not featured as much in the show. But considering how even the smallest of characters seem to be essential to the show's upcoming finale, I wouldn't want to be utterly confused and left dumbfounded when (if) one of the Telltale characters come to save the day in the final season.

I know they worked with the show's actors and writers working them into the show's continuity, so I couldn't imagine the characters in the game would just be thrown to the wayside (even if Telltale themselves are dead). But I hear the quality of the game is not... great. Regardless of the quality of the story, the game seems to be another victim of Telltale's terribly janky engine, leading to various animation hitches, crashes, etc etc. Is it worth the headache of the game's technical issues to have a complete experience of the series? Or am I just better off smiling and nodding like I know their story when they pop up in the show's final season?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have free access to the game. A friend has it in their Steam account, and we've been doing family sharing for a while. So money is not an issue.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen every episode of the show, and played two episodes of the game. It's alright, and the way they try to worm their way into the universe's story is kind of neat, but I wouldn't fret too much over skipping it. There's nothing essential in there.

I think it's worth giving a try, but again, it isn't necessary in any meaning of the word. The show never references it or anything.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The Telltale games feels like a first installment that won't get a second. Despite a few interesting choices and the game does a decent job at making you feel as vulnerable as the starks, it's hard to recommend them as they ultimately feel a bit pointless.Despite some big name cameos, it will likely fade into obscurity.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
not. at. all.

telltale's GOT is wildly uneven, it's extremely skippable from either a TT fan or a GOT fan perspective
the connections to the show are minimal and kinda shoehorned in

give it a try (though, be aware the game opens with a spoiler scene from like season 2 or 3 of the show) but keep expectations low

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
The Telltale games feels like a first installment that won't get a second. Despite a few interesting choices and the game does a decent job at making you feel as vulnerable as the starks, it's hard to recommend them as they ultimately feel a bit pointless.Despite some big name cameos, it will likely fade into obscurity.

This. Easily one of the worst Telltale games I played.
I didn't have many technical issues with it, since the OP seems more concerned about that. But the execution is visually ugly, hosting a sloppy narrative and overall an experience I wish I had skipped out on.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I think GoT was one of the weaker Telltale games. Obviously nothing in it can have even a minor impact on the show, so it kind of just feels like mediocre fan-fiction. I don't think you're missing much if you skip it. Plus, if I'm remembering correctly, they tried to set up a sequel which we'll never get at this point.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
While the game happens among the events of the show and has some familiar characters, it doesn't really matter in the context of the TV series. The people you play as don't appear or aren't even mentioned in the show. Also it's really one of the weakest Telltale games, I somewhat still enjoyed it though. It was fun to play while the series was on a break. If you feel that you'd like to give it a go just for the hell of it, then do. But it won't give you any extra context or enjoyment for the show itself, so don't feel required to play it. It was kinda cool to meet and plot against Cersei.

Last edited:

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
House Forrester's story is completely irrelevant to the show, even if (I think?) it's canon. Worth a playthrough if you like Telltale games, though. It's one of the better ones, in my opinion.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
The cast actually reprises their roles but beyond that you are kinda playing a House Stark lite story that treads a lot of same ground as the show as the Stark kids.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Telltale game is terrible, has no connection to the show, and is not canon. Don't worry about it.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a great game but I think people are being overly harsh. End of the first episode has a great Martin style twist.

That being said, there's no reason to play it from a "I need this to enjoy the show" perspective.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mainly missing out on

Do you get kicked in the nards

or

Do you outwit your foe

>Outwit foe

Your foe is ten steps ahead! Your nards are well kicked.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want "vital story information" I would strongly suggest reading the books. The videogames are apparently all terrible, and the only good Game of Thrones titles have been mods for PC games (Crusader Kings 2, Civilization).

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
There are some truly hard/great decisions you have to make in the game but they mean fuck all in the scope of the show so don't feel that pressure. It was one of the few telltale games I got through.

RogueDeadGuy

Jan 27, 2019
You're better off not playing it. The game is a fictitious family that for all intents and purposes doesn't exist or matter in the larger world, and exists only to show you characters you know from the show in videogame form.

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
I always chose the option of silence on every part and everything proceeded normally. Which was pretty funny.

depward

Oct 29, 2017
I've played most Telltale games.

I fell asleep twice playing their GoT game.

Skippable.