• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017

Obviously it still looks early and rough around the edges in a lot of ways, but I've been excited about this game for a while. At the very least, it's ambitious in a way that few games are these days. Even the more modern immersive sims like Dishonored 2 or Prey don't feature the degree of systems or improvisation that this game seems to be going for. Almost like Divinity: Original Sin 2's elemental combinations alongside the systemic interaction of an immersive sim. Personally I'm really hoping it all comes together, and if there's anyone who can do it I'm betting this is the studio that can.

I've never played much of Ultima Underworld, in spite of multiple attempts. It's just a bit too old school and hard to control for me, and that's coming from a guy who's put a lot of time into Daggerfall and System Shock 1 in recent years. But it's always seemed like such an incredible game to see from the outside looking in, the progenitor of the immersive sim genre. And this game looks to take cues from that both thematically and systemically in a way few others have.

Also, that Stephen Russell. Hell yes.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
I didn't really see anything new, maybe the telekinesis spell? Hardly a trailer though, more like a PR video from the devs for PAX, calling it a trailer kinda sets the wrong expectations. It's not even really a teaser, just an introduction of the project for people who haven't seen its awesomeness yet and it would be better off if overlayed with previous footage which was better put together, I guess they rushed this, it's not even a good encode or whatever. Project rocks despite the haters this might inspire to get out of the woodwork though, if you're a fan of the originals or the style do look into it in more depth :)

Nov 1, 2017
Wow. If that's the only footage they could get they would have been better off not showing anything. That's like below rough, that looks like "we need to make something in time for a trailer"-type work.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I wouldn't call that a trailer, and all the footage says Pre-alpha on it, so if anyone thinks thats final stuff well thats on them.

Not sure hiw they're going to get this out this year but I will keep an eye out. Love the style of game

OP
OP
justjim89

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, I just found the video posted today and figured it was a good enough excuse to talk about the game. There's a really cool looking gameplay video on IGN I saw a little but ago focused on actual problem solving, but I can't seem to find it on Youtube.

For a 2018 game, it definitely looks as though they haven't gotten around to proper optimization yet.

Edit: Here's the IGN video I was talking about. The water arrows right out of Thief particularly got me excited.

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
They said it's coming out this year?

It's been in development forever, it feels like I kickstarted this like 3 years ago. I would think they are running out of money at this point.

OP
OP
justjim89

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017

It's been in development forever, it feels like I kickstarted this like 3 years ago. I would think they are running out of money at this point.

Yeah, it feels like they've been teasing this game forever. I'm hoping they have a much more polished build ready to go in the near future, or there's no way this is actually 2018. That being said, I can probably forgive a lot of jankiness if the systems work as well as intended. If I can at least get a stable framerate.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They did a QA for this at SXSW. No interesting footage or anything, but it's a good talk with Spector and Neurath.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/239433226

I think people are being a little hard on this game. It's a Unity-based title with an intentionally unrealistic art style, so it's not a terribly impressive tech demo, but this is a game about creating fun scnearios for players to experiment in, and I think they're building a really cool world. It's come a looooong way, too. The early demos for this game looked awful, but not they have a cool kind of retro D&D look and big, interesting environments. I remain optimistic.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If the fact that they formed a second studio didn't clue you in, they've gotten funding well beyond the Kickstarter money. They've had a couple "soft reboots" on the project and don't seem terribly concerned with timeline or budget.

That said, they should be in alpha by May, playable beginning to end, so finishing up by the end of the year seems pretty plausible to me.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PC version's out today. I'm not able to run it but as a big fan of Ultima Underworld, I'm interested in people's opinions on it.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Grabbed it but I won't be able to play it until later tonight. Is anyone gonna make an OT for it?

EDIT: just looked into another thread and indeed someone is making an OT.

Last edited: