• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017

For reference, the artist HACCAN has done illustrations for recent Secret of Mana games/remakes and also some for Fire Emblem Heroes. Each artwork showcases one of the three paths taken in the game:

trials-of-mana-art-hawkeye.jpg

Riesz
The Amazon Warrior Riesz stands proudly at the forefront of this beautiful picture.

Not only is she a princess, she's also one of the fiercest warriors in the mountainous kingdom of Laurent. Despite her young age, she's already captain of the famous Amazon Guard.

Her down-to-earth attitude and unbreakable will, make her appear stubborn at times - but don't mistake that for a lack of compassion. Riesz is always ready to jump into action to help and protect those who need it.

She loves her kingdom deeply, but she's even more committed to her family - particularly her brother Elliot, who she's helped raise since her mother died.

Hawkeye
The blue-haired hero with the dual daggers is Hawkeye.

This quick-witted rogue hails from the desert fortress of Nevari, home to a guild of noble thieves.

Orphaned at an early age, he was raised by the leader of the guild, Flamekhan, alongside his adoptive father's own children, Eagle and Jessica.

His finely-honed senses and quick thinking make him a force to be reckoned with, and he's fiercely loyal to his friends. That said, his laid-back attitude means it can be hard to tell when he's being serious.

Belladonna
This beautiful beast takes the form of an alluring woman to seduce Flamekhan - the leader of Nevari's guild of thieves. But her loyalty is truly to a much darker power.

She uses her wiles to manipulate Flamekhan, taking advantage of him and his resources to launch an invasion of Laurent - home to Riesz.

trials-of-mana-artwork-kevin.jpg

Kevin
The snarling figure in the centre of this artwork is Kevin. He's a young man torn between two worlds.

His father is King of Ferolia, the land of Beastmen - humanoid warriors who adopt a bestial form at night. But unlike many of his countrymen, his mother was a human.

His father has raised him for battle, so while he's extremely capable in a dust-up, he doesn't have the best social skills (to put it mildly). He rarely has an opportunity to talk to humans, so it can be hard for people to understand him at times.

He can seem harsh and aggressive, but when he makes friends with Karl the wolf pup, the ice around his heart starts to melt…

Charlotte
She may seem immature and precocious, but Charlotte is more capable than she looks. She's the granddaughter of Wendel's Priest of Light and has elfin blood in her veins that make her appear much younger than she really is.

It's perhaps because of that youthful demeanour that she's been somewhat coddled by the people of the temple - she can come across as naïve or spoiled at times.

Charlotte's bright and outgoing personality can be an asset to the group, but it also means she can get herself into trouble. Plus despite her insatiable curiosity, she can be a bit of a scaredy cat at times…

Goremand
The scary-looking figure in the jester costume? That's Goremand, and he's a real wrong 'un.

The sinister sprite wields a terrifying scythe and loves nothing more than to collect and devour human souls.

Goremand plays a big role in the story of Trials of Mana - particularly Kevin's. He suddenly appears one day in the kingdom of Ferolia. Before long, his dark influence on the King of the land has instigated an invasion of Wendel.

trials-of-mana-angela-duran.jpg

Duran
The guy with the sword and shield rocks some serious hair - and even more serious abs. He's Duran - one of the playable heroes of the game.

A proud, young soldier from Valsena, few in the kingdom can match his skill with a blade. He has nothing but love for his homeland, and utterly respects the Hero King - who was a good friend of his departed father, Loki.

Duran can be hot-headed, and tends to rush into action without thinking, but his stout heart usually sees him through.

Angela
The woman at the bottom of the picture is another playable character - Angela.

This rebellious princess is the only daughter of the True Queen of Altena - the snow-covered kingdom of magicians. As a child, her mother was rarely around her, and as a cry for attention, Angela started wearing gaudy clothes and playing tricks on people in her castle.

Although Anglea is a princess of Altena, the snow-covered kingdom of magicians, she has not mastered spellcasting - a problem that continues to trouble her as the game begins.

The Crimson Wizard
The sneering figure in the flames is the Crimson Wizard.

The powerful sorcerer obtained powerful magic through a dark deal and is largely responsible for the invasion of Valensa that destroys Duran's world.

He's the right-hand man to Angela's mother, the True Queen, and commands the army of Altena… but his role in the invasion and plans to activate the powerful Mana Stone suggest that maybe he has more sinister plans afoot…

Valda, True Queen of Altena
The regal figure in the illustration is Valda, the True Queen of Altena. Despite being Angela's mother, she is cold and distant towards her daughter.

Angela coincidentally escapes from her homeland when her mother Valda offers her as a sacrifice at the altar in the hopes of activating the powerful Mana Stone.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
mate im fuming, I totally read the description of Riesz thinking "oh its so cool of them to make a proper bad bitch with muscles and arabic getup" thinking it was the character in front, then i read the second character description and realised the stubborn amazon warrior princess was meant to be that tinkerbell ass bitch stood behind him

Fantastic art though, love the colours.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
mate im fuming, I totally read the description of Riesz thinking "oh its so cool of them to make a proper bad bitch with muscles and arabic getup" thinking it was the character in front, then i read the second character description and realised the stubborn amazon warrior princess was meant to be that tinkerbell ass bitch stood behind him

Riesz was the most popular character in the original, especially with fan-artists, so they weren't going to update her design anytime soon, sadly.

You wouldn't think Angela was a sassy, rebellious princess from that rather submissive depiction either :/

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Please Square don't fuck this up.
So far so good I think. The only cause for concern I've seen for myself has been periphery with the English voice acting not sounding too hot in the first examples we had of it. But since the game will come with dual-audio, then that's something that I at least can bypass.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
They also kept the renders of the final classes pretty much exactly as they were in the artwork of the original.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia

I mean it's a 90s game that's pretty much an exact remake story wise but with a visual and mechanical overhaul.

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
They also kept the renders of the final classes pretty much exactly as they were in the artwork of the original.

It's a really amazing effort on their part to commit towards capturing the original artwork in 3D as best as can be done. They've really succeeded in that regard.

I mean, compare the effort here to the recent Secret of Mana remake, it's just such a contrast. This looks like a proper core game, where as the prior remake always felt to me like a Mobile game that was just put on console/PC.

Oct 31, 2017
It's not but you're entitled to think so.

As for the designs, I already expected bikini armor as that's a sadly common thing in Mana (Primm had it too), and they're being ultra faithful to the original SD3.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Folliebarder%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F06%2Ftrials_of_mana_new-1200x675.jpg

150462-Dawn_of_Mana_(USA)-1496258562.jpg

Hm. The Trials of Mana models seem to have more detail. I guess I just hate the art style. The cel shading is ugly to me.

Plus DoM has some really pretty CGI and this seems to be entirely in-game :/ meh

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Folliebarder%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F06%2Ftrials_of_mana_new-1200x675.jpg

150462-Dawn_of_Mana_(USA)-1496258562.jpg

Hm. The Trials of Mana models seem to have more detail. I guess I just hate the art style. The cel shading is ugly to me.

Plus DoM has some really pretty CGI and this seems to be entirely in-game :/ meh

Trials is all in-game to my knowledge, yes.

The art style of Trials could explain why you dislike it but it's technically pretty damn nice. I for one love the art as it's super faithful to the SNES original.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Looks good, I held off getting the Collection of Mana to exclusively play Trails of Mana because of the upcoming remake, so I hope it turns out good.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I never thought I'd be alive to EVER see Seiken Densetsu 3 get a release over here, let alone a remake. The world truly is a mysterious place.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Don't kill me but this remake disappoints me because I think Dawn of Mana is WAY prettier

They went from this

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.png

secret-of-mana-3d-59b10a7c14338.jpg

6f9dfcd4637d703f3aa05be3f71a4d07.jpg

test-secret-of-mana-remake-jdg-01.jpg

To this

ss_b31714c7141c75570f97340c3a2d94a7d07eff5d.png

e8d8748f20850a722460b3d181e837be.png

y_5cff4aa0a3ae2.jpg

ss_4c82b7c22d16cd9f26021c58afb87e063fe441a3.1920x1080.jpg

z_5dcaad512f7e7.jpg

z_5dcaad511cd0b.jpg

z_5dcaad516166a.jpg

Dawn of Mana is really charming game.

Trials looks damn great though. Different styles. And coming after the visual atrocity that was Secret Of Mana Remake, I think they deserve a lot of praise.

OP
OP
CGiRanger

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
They went from this

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.png

secret-of-mana-3d-59b10a7c14338.jpg

6f9dfcd4637d703f3aa05be3f71a4d07.jpg

test-secret-of-mana-remake-jdg-01.jpg

To this

ss_b31714c7141c75570f97340c3a2d94a7d07eff5d.png

e8d8748f20850a722460b3d181e837be.png

y_5cff4aa0a3ae2.jpg

ss_4c82b7c22d16cd9f26021c58afb87e063fe441a3.1920x1080.jpg

z_5dcaad512f7e7.jpg

z_5dcaad511cd0b.jpg

z_5dcaad516166a.jpg

Dawn of Mana is really charming game.

Trials looks damn great though. Different styles. And coming after the visual atrocity that was Secret Of Mana Remake, I think they deserve a lot of praise.
After what happened with the original's remake, had they announced prior to a reveal that they would do more, people I'm sure would have been ultra doubtful about how good any new attempt could possibly be.

Thankfully they revealed a nicely polished vertical slice of the game at E3. I think the strict adherence towards faithfully capturing the originals artwork and character designs also is making it stand out better.

Also it's good that the music so far seems to be sounding very nice too. That was also a very weird mashup of good and bad in the original SoM remake.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Where did those last few screenshots from Gusthall, Guildervine and Beuca come from. I didn't see them on the site.