• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu posted a huge info dump about some of the game's new elements.

znHaIhx.jpg

1) A much more straightforward and transparent stat point allocation menu. Instead of just flying blind, it tells you what abilities you unlock at what stat level. You'll be able to reset your point allocations.

1a) They reiterate that they've rebalanced the game to try and make all classes usable instead of.... the way they were in the original game.

GRRDnz9.jpg

2) They've added a crap ton of abilities, 300+ in total. This seems to have been mostly achieved by adding a crap ton of support/passive abilities. Some abilities are character specific, and some are class specific.

2a) However, you can share abilities with your allies (we'll get to that later)

2b) Higher tier classes can equip more abilities.

2c) One of the abilities listed here is "Return" which I hope is a spell that allows you to teleport back to Mana Stones as well as towns.

rHj5fKV.jpg

3) You can change characters's appearances to any of their previous class designs you've been. It appears to be The Whole Model, so no mixing and matching hair and clothing or anything.

RVYiOQ5.jpg

4) If you manage to obtain the Goddess's Scales (Scale as in "Scales of Justice" not Dragon Scales), you can reset your class at a Mana Stone.

q2ttreU.jpg

5) Your allies will automatically split up in towns so you can walk around and talk to them, seemingly like Star Ocean 3. Hopefully there'll be a lot of fun scenes here to help flesh out the characters (and hopefully they'll be better than what was in the Secret of Mana remake). This seems like it's the key to being able to link abilities between your allies?

RFZNv5x.jpg

6) This horrible feature is back, but it's been adjusted. There are now five types of seeds (Item Seeds, Silver Item Seeds, Golden Item Seeds, Rainbow Item Seeds, and ???? Seeds), and there's now a Planter level, which will increase as you plant and harvest more items. The higher the Planter level, the more likely enemies will drop seeds and the more likely you'll get a good item from the planter.

5mKCfbB.jpg

7) New items have been added, like this cookie that boosts your experience gain in battle by 10% temporarily.

7a) You can add up to four items to a shortcut, this is separate from the two ability shortcuts you have.

7b) There's now a Full Heal option to automatically/instantly fully heal the party with your MP and items like in your Dragon Quests

8) There are now 4 difficulty modes, ranging from Very Easy where you automagically get revived if you fall to... well it doesn't say what the most difficult option is, but I'm guessing it's pretty tedious. You can change the difficulty from the options menu.

9) There are now 12 save slots, an autosave feature, and they've upped the number of Goddess Statue save points too.

Sakuyahime

Sep 21, 2019
Argentina
I'll be picking this Day 1! I didn't like the Secret of Mana Remake that much but this one looks way better so far.
It feels like I'll be spending quite some time in this one too.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Looking forward to playing this, I haven't played the game since the fan translation of the SNES version so long ago and I've completely forgotten most of the game.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who platinumed the Rise of Mana and Secret of Mana remakes, at least I can say without a doubt that they're investing way more effort and resources into this remake than they did into the last two. I hope it pans out. I may be in the minority, but I didn't much like the SNES original. I actually found it inferior to Secret of Mana.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
This is looking pretty good. Started playing the original in last year's Collection, but stopped a few hours in because the class system was pretty opaque and I knew the remake was coming. Glad to see they're apparently making improvements while keeping the core game design.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Lack of party chat in Octopath ruined my enjoyment of that game. Very nice to see it being added here.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I just want to make sure, but the Mana games share a universe but not an actual shared storyline right? I could pick this up as a standalone game with no issue in theory? Because it looks pretty damn good to me right now >.>

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
good stuff, and the game looks great (DQXI vibes for sure). can't wait.

I just want to make sure, but the Mana games share a universe but not an actual shared storyline right? I could pick this up as a standalone game with no issue in theory? Because it looks pretty damn good to me right now >.>
yeah they only have nods to each other. each entry is standalone. like FF or DQ.

OP
OP
Tfritz

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly it's almost less than that? It's sort of like... Final Fantasy 1 and Final Fantasy 3 are Similar, But No Connected, if that makes sense?

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Still not suuuuure about the anime tiddies but otherwise the game looks GORGEOUS. I have the fondest memories of Seiken 3, I can't wait to see if it translates well in 3D. I hope it will make us say "Dawn of Mana fell so that Trials of Mana could run"

It's basically Fabula Nova Cristallis That Never Came To Be. The games are connected loosely and there's an estimated timeline (see here : https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/207500-collection-of-mana/77851185 ) But you don't really need to do them in any specific order. Continuity is more easter egg material than anything else.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Uhhh, looks like a normal video game price to me.
Too much compared to what? It's essentially a new game.
Its pretty much a whole new game....
For a full remake that's basically a new game? I mean... it's your prerogative but I don't think this take is on base.
I dont know, for me a remake should come out at max. $40 like SOTC, for instance. Anyway, it's just $10, right. Actually, it's not really because of the price. I just feel like I wanna play it, and then.. not really. As the OP said, I'll try the demo (if it's real). A part of me wants to buy it day one, just to support this kind of game.

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
I dont know, for me a remake should come out at max. $40 like SOTC, for instance. Anyway, it's just $10, right. Actually, it's not really because of the price. I just feel like I wanna play it, and then.. not really. As the OP said, I'll try the demo (if it's real). A part of me wants to buy it day one, just to support this kind of game.
It's a lot more than a simple remake though. It's much closer to a new game than a SotC tier remake.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a dramatically huge step up from the SoM remake, it's not even funny. I cannot WAIT to play through Trials of Mana again.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
sounds like a complete revamp at the mechanical level, which is exactly what the game needed.

not particularly "sold" yet but this is definitely something i'll buy in a not too distant future

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
It's a lot more than a simple remake though. It's much closer to a new game than a SotC tier remake.
What? It's perfectly reasonable, I was expecting it to cost $60 considering the production values. Saying this isn't worth $50 is the same as saying RE2make/R3make are not worthy of the $60 price tag.
Yep, my bad. I didn't even know it originaly came out on Super Nintendo. Now I see how big the remake is. Sorry, I just didn't know anything about this game.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
This really is a whole new game, mechanically-speaking.
I personally don't think the price is unfair. On paper and with what we know so far.
But, again, it depends on the quality of the game, ultimately.
The Rise of Mana and Secret of Mana "remakes" where straight-up shit-tier.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
It's insane how much more energy they're putting into this versus the Secret of Mana remake.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Can you imagine a Chrono Trigger remake in this style?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like comparing the remake of SOTC to this complete reimagining is a little disingenuous, but I also see your point.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Muras

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest disappointing thing about this version of the game is that it seems the 2 player coop has been removed from what I've read. Was considering getting this day one on Steam and using that remote coop thing they added in November with a sibling who's living in Japan right now. I have a lot of fond memories playing Secret of Mana coop when we were kids, so it would've been nice to relive that a little.

Probably still get it eventually, but without the coop there's no rush for me. It is looking good though... Much better than the Secret of Mana remake.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
My problem is which 3 characters to pick. Can't wait to play this with my daughter. We even loved playing the SoM Remake that wasn't so hot.