• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
New Census Bureau Estimates Show Counties in South and West Lead Nation in Population Growth - U.S. Census
Last year's thread here.

UHLqDq9.jpg

Texas Counties Take Four of the Top Ten Spots in Numeric Growth

APRIL 18, 2019 — Counties with the largest numeric growth are all located in the south and the west, with counties in Texas taking four out of the top 10 spots according to new U.S. Census Bureau population estimates released today. By metropolitan area, Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, Texas, had the largest numeric growth with a gain of 131,767 (1.8 percent) in 2018, followed by Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, Ariz. with an increase of 96,268 (2.0 percent). Migration, both domestic and international, as well as natural increase contributed to the growth in each of these areas, with natural increase serving as the largest source of population growth in Dallas and domestic migration serving as the largest source in Phoenix.

"One interesting trend we are seeing this year is that metro areas not among the most populous are ranked in the top 10 for population growth," said Sandra Johnson, a demographer in the Census Bureau's Population Division. "Though no new metro areas moved into the top 10 largest areas, Phoenix, Seattle, Austin, and Orlando all experienced numeric increases in population since 2010, rivaling growth in areas with much larger populations. This trend is consistent with the overall growth we are seeing in the south and the west."

Metropolitan Areas
Growth:

• Two of the 10 fastest-growing metro areas in 2018 are in Texas: Midland, Texas (first), with a growth of 4.3 percent (7,383) and Odessa, Texas (fifth), with a growth of 3.2 percent (4,951). Positive domestic migration contributed to the growth in both areas. Florida and Utah also each contains two of the fastest-growing metro areas in 2018.
Decline:
  • Of the 390 metro areas within the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico, 102 (26.2 percent) experienced population decline in 2018.
  • All metro areas within Puerto Rico decreased between 2017 and 2018, including Ponce, Puerto Rico (-4.6 percent); Mayagüez, Puerto Rico (-4.3 percent); Aguadilla-Isabela, Puerto Rico (-4.0 percent); San Juan-Carolina-Caguas, Puerto Rico (-3.9 percent); and Guayama, Puerto Rico (-3.8 percent).
  • The five fastest-decreasing metro areas (excluding those within Puerto Rico) were Charleston, W.Va. (-1.6 percent); Pine Bluff, Ark. (-1.5 percent); Farmington, N.M. (-1.5 percent); Danville, Ill. (-1.2 percent); and Watertown-Fort Drum, N.Y. (-1.2 percent). The population decreases were primarily due to negative net domestic migration.

vAhxa1d.jpg

vRtJoF3.jpg

5IocRmp.jpg

9qMnyu3.jpg

KjwRT6N.jpg

Dallas certainly seems to be on track to pass Chicago within our lifetime.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Houston has seen crazy growth the past couple decades. When my family moved from Iowa to Katy in 2001, it was nothing but ranches and rice fields. Now it's smack dab in the middle of suburbia, we have a burger king right behind our house, and it definitely doesn't have the relaxing feel it once did.

Fun fact: More native Texans voted for Beto, while transplants went for Cruz.

With how much room Houston has to grow, wouldn't be surprised to see it surpass Chicago someday as well.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
PHX is getting more crowded by the year it seems

I went to college in Phoenix and really wish Arizona paid it's teachers better, because the southwest is probably my favorite region I've ever lived in. I lived really close to South Mountain and would often go up there to watch the sunset, awesome experience. Phoenix is beautiful and potential climate change ramifications aside, I would love to move back someday.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Hutto, an Austin suburb, has seen growth I've never seen before. Like, in 2000, the population was around 1,000. Now it's almost 30,000.

I'm surprised, yet also delighted, than Phoenix has grown quite a bit, I guess. It would be nice if people from green cities would shut the fuck up about the lack of vegetation. Fuck off and don't come here if you're going to use water on lawns and ugly ass palm trees.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I went to college in Phoenix and really wish Arizona paid it's teachers better, because the southwest is probably my favorite region I've ever lived in. I lived really close to South Mountain and would often go up there to watch the sunset, awesome experience. Phoenix is beautiful and potential climate change ramifications aside, I would love to move back someday.

I live in PHX now and used to live in Tuscon and this state is fantastic if you are even remotely interested in the outdoors.

Used to live right next to the Saguaro National Park and there's nothing quite like it in the states.
I would kill to live in Tuscon again for the better scenery and a more liberal environment,but I would miss the big city amenities PHX has to offer.

And we do need to pay our teachers better. Highway robbery compared to pay in Cali. Everyone is fleeing to Cali for work instead.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Hutto, an Austin suburb, has seen growth I've never seen before. Like, in 2000, the population was around 1,000. Now it's almost 30,000.

I'm surprised, yet also delighted, than Phoenix has grown quite a bit, I guess. It would be nice if people from green cities would shut the fuck up about the lack of vegetation. Fuck off and don't come here if you're going to use water on lawns and ugly ass palm trees.
Right? I give Scottsdale side eye Everytime I drive over there. AZ has unique vegetation why change it? We just don't have the resources for it.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I live in PHX now and used to live in Tuscon and this state is fantastic if you are even remotely interested in the outdoors.

Used to live right next to the Saguaro National Park and there's nothing quite like it in the states.
I would kill to live in Tuscon again for the better scenery and a more liberal environment,but I would miss the big city amenities PHX has to offer.

And we do need to pay our teachers better. Highway robbery compared to pay in Cali. Everyone is fleeing to Cali for work instead.

I didn't used to be interested in the outdoors, and I think a large part of that is Houston. Visually speaking, it's not interesting at all. Also, humidity sucks. That's definitely changed in the past decade or so and I credit Phoenix with being a large part of that.

And yeah, I'm starting to look for positions in the Houston area, most districts start at 50k-ish, which is more than enough to live fairly comfortably here as a single person. From what I've heard, it would be pretty difficult for teaching jobs in Arizona to match that even though the cost of living in Phoenix is apparently higher.

Edit: Although I just did a very quick google search, and this says y'all are paying about the same. I might need to look into this more, I swear I read somewhere it was closer to 40 than 50. If I could take a slight pay decrease but live in a climate I like more I'd be a much happier person, lol.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Moved to DFW in 2015. Hard to beat. Relatively liberal, cheap housing, no income taxes, awesome food. However, you make up for it with sky high home insurance and property tax rates.

And traffic with no competent mass transit. But I also work from home, so...

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't used to be interested in the outdoors, and I think a large part of that is Houston. Visually speaking, it's not interesting at all. Also, humidity sucks. That's definitely changed in the past decade or so and I credit Phoenix with being a large part of that.

And yeah, I'm starting to look for positions in the Houston area, most districts start at 50k-ish, which is more than enough to live fairly comfortably here as a single person. From what I've heard, it would be pretty difficult for teaching jobs in Arizona to match that even though the cost of living in Phoenix is apparently higher.

The cost of living in Houston is higher than Phoenix? How?

Granted, Phoenix is no longer super affordable either (home prices are creeping up), but I also thought that Houston's lower cost of living was because of the numerous areas annexed in Houston, especially outside the loop. Want to stay in Montrose, Midtown, or the Heights? Be prepared to pay up the nose.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
The cost of living in Houston is higher than Phoenix? How?

Granted, Phoenix is no longer super affordable either (home prices are creeping up), but I also thought that Houston's lower cost of living was because of the numerous areas annexed in Houston, especially outside the loop. Want to stay in Montrose, Midtown, or the Heights? Be prepared to pay up the nose.

No, the cost of living in Phoenix is higher (according to Google anyway). Houston is definitely getting pricier though, especially in those areas you mentioned.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
No, the cost of living in Phoenix is higher (according to Google anyway). Houston is definitely getting pricier though, especially in those areas you mentioned.

Phoenix proper definitely makes sense. The suburbs themselves are insanely affordable here, at least. Though this is mostly limited to places like Glendale and Mesa. Scottsdale is definitely not affordable, LOL.

Though last time I checked, I don't think Tempe is all that affordable, either. Makes me admire Tucson just a bit more, which is still one of the most affordable cities I've ever lived in. Unlike other cities, they've done an excellent job not allowing the cost of living to soar.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna retire to Texas in like 30-35 years. We're gonna turn that shit blue at some point.

Oct 26, 2017
Houston has seen crazy growth the past couple decades. When my family moved from Iowa to Katy in 2001, it was nothing but ranches and rice fields. Now it's smack dab in the middle of suburbia, we have a burger king right behind our house, and it definitely doesn't have the relaxing feel it once did.

With how much room Houston has to grow, wouldn't be surprised to see it surpass Chicago someday as well.

At this pace , Sealy will be a
I'm personally keeping my eye on San Marcos. With it being a college town between Austin and San Antonio, it'll be interesting to see if it becomes the next Austin.

At the pace Houston is growing? Sealy could be the next Austin.

My in-laws moved into Richmond back in 2004 so I've seen that growth you describe in Katy and beyond. Crazy

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cool, and in 50 years they will all move back north and east as not to die of heat stroke

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You can still find tons of one bedroom apartments in Houston city center and other close areas for $1500 or less per month. For the 4th largest city in the US, that's quite affordable.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, if I wasn't so scared of hurricanes after Harvey, I'd build a house in Houston in a heartbeat.

Alas, I'll settle for San Diego.

Degenerate

Nov 17, 2018
I enjoy houstons growth they just built a target near my parents house which in the suburbs are MILF central. Great for perverts like me

OP
OP
Ottaro

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017

Same thing in the Dallas area, all of the fields me and my father loved have been dug up and buried under miles of new suburban development. But I'm glad there are some pocket areas adhering to a more New Urbanist design at least.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Everybody still loves moving to the DMV
First thing I noticed...although many are fleeing south, the Boston area, Philly area, DMV, Minneapolis, and to a lesser extent NYC seem to be growing well. Michigan (even around the Detroit area) and Wisconsin seem to be benefiting from the drops in areas around it (RIP Illinois).

Also, what is going on with Northern California? It's a total outlier of the West Coast.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who currently lives in Houston (and has toyed with the idea of moving to Atlanta, also on this list), pls, stop. We're full. Go away.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Two of the 10 fastest-growing metro areas in 2018 are in Texas: Midland, Texas (first), with a growth of 4.3 percent (7,383) and Odessa, Texas (fifth), with a growth of 3.2 percent (4,951).

Absolutely disgusting.

People continue to have horrible taste.

Been living all around Texas for 27 years and can't wait to finally move away this year! Texas sucks.

Edit: Although I just did a very quick google search, and this says y'all are paying about the same. I might need to look into this more, I swear I read somewhere it was closer to 40 than 50. If I could take a slight pay decrease but live in a climate I like more I'd be a much happier person, lol.

Texas is one of the worst states to be a teacher in. No rights, horrible administration and HR, total chaos and disorganization, and constantly overworked. High high turnover. My teacher husband can't wait to leave. What good is a $50k salary when the health benefits are $600 per month for a SHITTASTIC HMO that only covers you, not even spouse or family? Aetna is garbage

As a general PSA - please do stop moving to California, and especially the Inland Empire.

Please look to places that are not building low density, single-family homes into every last possible crevice of land available, at rates that can't keep up with demand.

Signed, someone who would like to own a home one day but sees that possibility flying further away every month.

Thank you!

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Isn't that mostly conservative Californians and PNWesterns that want to get out of liberal states and move to the more conservative Texas?

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
I was planning to move to Houston this summer before meeting my girlfriend. I'm deciding to stay in PA for now, but will be moving with her to either Atlanta or Houston(or some other part of Texas) within the next 5 years, after she gets her BS in Chem, I get my MS in IT, and we get married.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of businesses moved to Texas too, which has really crowded things. At times it's all right, but at times it's almost too packed to quickly.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Texas has some of the widest freeways in the world. And the traffic is still poo. It's crazy.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Houston and surrounding areas have been growing at an incredible rate. I've been living in Houston since the early 90's and the city has grown so much since then. I remember Katy was surrounded by nothing but farm fields and one way roads.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that mostly conservative Californians and PNWesterns that want to get out of liberal states and move to the more conservative Texas?
Mostly? No way. That's a super small number of people in the grand scheme of things. People are moving here because the jobs are here and the cost of living is low.