• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
This could be literally anything.

Saying "it's a PlayStation game" doesn't necessary mean it's first party or exclusive or anything. Especially since they aren't a gamer, they could just be using short-hand.

The headline may as well be "game will be announced soon".

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Huh... Chrono Cross is my favorite game of all time, but even I wouldn't say it fits with "huge PlayStation game". Sure, it's known and beloved by JRPG fans, and especially well known to those who love the Chrono series, but outside of that demographic the game is kinda... "obscure"?

I just don't see a Remaster being announced as some sort of megaton or anything. Chrono Cross Remastered is the kind of game Square would announce with a simple press release or an anthology video, not a big event like some people here are theorizing.

Square putting much emphasis on the Chrono series, especially in Cross, doesn't seem very likely.

I generally agree, but all the interviewee said was they thought it was "big" and it would be revealed near Christmas. If you google Chrono Cross, you see it has a 94% on Metacritic, a 10.0 from Gamespot, and it sold well over a million copies to hit Playstation's Greatest Hits. You see that Mitsuda just very recently had a large 20th anniversary tour for the soundtrack. The music is in a lot of piano students' books. If you aren't too familiar with the game already (and we can assume she probably isn't if she didn't know the game from the music alone) and you just look it up, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by how "big" it is. It could easily just be a 30 second teaser at The Game Awards or on Twitter, it doesn't mean Square sees this as a huge release, but I think Cross fits the (minimal) description she gave.

Other games could fit the description as well, of course, but they don't have the existing working relationship with this group that Cross does, or a leak hinting at its existence (though maybe MGS does? I've lost track of those rumors). We should only have to wait ~2 months to find out.

Edit: I should also point out, in her own words she says that Michael McGlynn "[has] done that a lot, he's done a lot of writing for different games that are very well known." As far as I can tell (and I could totally be missing something), the only games Michael has worked on are in the Xeno series. This may not be entirely true, Anúna appears to have at least contributed to Diablo 3 in the past as well. Michael was likely involved given his role at the company.

If they qualify as "very well known," I think Chrono Cross meets the criteria for "big."

I'm definitely way overanalyzing her language at this point lmao, I've become the beast. Must breathe.

Last edited:

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
It's either Metal Gear Solid or a project Mitsuda is working on. Which does little to narrow it down, but either option is very exciting.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any Irish in MGS? Does Best Is Yet To Come feature Irish?

CoHLord

Nov 1, 2017
It is time.

450_1000.jpeg

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It does yeah, but as someone mentioned before AVA is writing lyrics, so im not sure why she'd need to write lyrics for a song that's already written.
Maybe it is new rearrange of the song? I seriously cannot think of many PS games with Irish lyrics, aside vaguely thinking about MGS.

As for Folklore (yeah, like that is happening lol) I cannot remember any vocal tracks in the game, I think it was all instrumental.

Emerald

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it is new rearrange of the song? I seriously cannot think of many PS games with Irish lyrics, aside vaguely thinking about MGS.
Maybe but isn't the MGS remake MGS3? I wouldn't think the song would show up in that game.

I think the best guess probably now is a mitsuda remaster like CC.Square remasters can have pretty big changes in music from the original and Mitsuda has a history with McGlynn.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
How people go from Irish lyrics to MGS is completely beyond me. Chrono Cross is a bit closer but unlikely. The most likely is the "complete rework" of Radical Dreamers which was openly communicated as "neccessary" by Kato over 10 years ago. This would be the bridge between Trigger and Cross and would open up the possibility for a low-budget "remaster" of Cross that was hinted at in the GeForceNow DB.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

(I know these threads get out of control and I hope people don't get crazy over the speculation. I'm keeping my expectations in check, but the evidence is pointing to Cross for me)

Already on that Time's Scar train lol The fact that there's evidence at all is incredible in and of itself. I'll be a very happy human is this is true.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
A remake of a playstation game with a song in Irish language and people are like "that doesn't narrow it down" 🤣

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
It's really weird that everyone is trying to clue in on the Irish music in a remake as proof the original game also has Irish music. It might be that they just want to change up the music!

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Anyone who has spent as little as an hour in Limerick knows that it's basically like Silent Hill, so there you go.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever it is, it's the project that Mitsuda was working on recently. Both for the Michael McGlynn connection since Mitsudas been working with Anuna a lot before, and the mention of a daughter helping as well, since Mitsuda tweeted something about that.

Emerald

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever it is, it's the project that Mitsuda was working on recently. Both for the Michael McGlynn connection since Mitsudas been working with Anuna a lot before, and the mention of a daughter helping as well, since Mitsuda tweeted something about that.
Oh wow, I didn't even think to check his twitter but this is actually it.

Zones

Oct 28, 2017
I know he's not exactly the most reliable person, but a while ago, Moore's Law Is Dead said that an MGS1 Remake is in the works by Bluepoint and Mark Cerny is involved with the project in some capacity.

One interesting part of the recent interview from IGN with Bluepoint was the heavy emphasis on 'original content' and not original IP, so based on the wordings, it's not illogical to think a masterful 1:1 remake studio may expand in a way to remake a game in their own way with added content this time around.

Add this topic's new information regarding an Irish song we have to the mix, and consider the fact that David Hayter himself said he believes a remake is in the works based on insider information, and then we can loosely get to the conclusion that if we're lucky enough, an MGS1 Remake may indeed happen after all.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I know he's not exactly the most reliable person, but a while ago, Moore's Law Is Dead said that an MGS1 Remake is in the works by Bluepoint and Mark Cerny is involved with the project in some capacity.

One interesting part of the recent interview from IGN with Bluepoint was the heavy emphasis on 'original content' and not original IP, so based on the wordings, it's not illogical to think a masterful 1:1 remake studio may expand in a way to remake a game in their own way with added content this time around.

Add this topic's new information regarding an Irish song we have to the mix, and consider the fact that David Hayter himself said he believes a remake is in the works based on insider information, and then we can loosely get to the conclusion that if we're lucky enough, an MGS1 Remake may indeed happen after all.
It's Mitsuda. Expect it to be a Mitsuda related game.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I lay in bed and think about a Xenogears remake, or I think about how somewhere out there an alternate universe probably got all 6 games.

Additional Details
OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
What a day, a new Metroid game AND indisputable signals that Folklore is returning this Xmas. #blessed.

Koivusilta

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
How people go from Irish lyrics to MGS is completely beyond me. Chrono Cross is a bit closer but unlikely. The most likely is the "complete rework" of Radical Dreamers which was openly communicated as "neccessary" by Kato over 10 years ago. This would be the bridge between Trigger and Cross and would open up the possibility for a low-budget "remaster" of Cross that was hinted at in the GeForceNow DB.

I'm sorry what, you question how anyone would think Metal Gear Solid when someone talks about a remake of a big PlayStation game with Irish vocals in it, then start talking about Radical Dreamers of all things being most likely? :P

I hope it turns out to be the Chrono Cross Remaster, though. Rerecording the soundtrack and potentially composing new music for it is definitely something I would imagine Square and Mitsuda willing to do anyway.

Oh wow, I didn't even think to check his twitter but this is actually it.

And just to point out, the foremost guy on the laptop screen is Michael McGlynn, I believe.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry what, you question how anyone would think Metal Gear Solid when someone talks about a remake of a big PlayStation game with Irish vocals in it, then start talking about Radical Dreamers of all things being most likely? :P

I hope it turns out to be the Chrono Cross Remaster, though. Rerecording the soundtrack and potentially composing new music for it is definitely something I would imagine Square and Mitsuda willing to do anyway.
Chrono Cross makes sense with the Mitsuda connection, but unless the leaked listing was wrong and it's more than a remaster (which tbh is possible, Dungeon Encounters was listed under a different name), it seems like a lot of effort for that.