• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
In the blogpost on the new PS5 update:
blog.playstation.com

PS5 September System Software Update launches globally tomorrow

Includes new UX features and customization options, 3D Audio for built-in TV speakers, and M.2 SSD storage expansion

• With the PS Remote Play app, players have enjoyed the ability to remotely stream and play PS4 and PS5 games, switch between games, and browse their console's menus on any compatible device connected to their broadband network.*** Now, players using the mobile app for iOS and Android have the option of using a mobile data connection when WiFi is not available.
  • Broadband internet with at least 5Mbps is required for PS Remote Play. For the best experience, we recommend a high-speed connection with upload and download speeds of at least 15 Mbps.
  • To help manage the amount of data used through a mobile connection, players can select their preferred video quality for mobile data streaming.
  • Please note the quality and connectivity of your Remote Play experience may vary depending on your mobile carrier network and network environment.

unknown.png

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I hope it brings overall improvements to the solution over Wi-Fi too, can't make it work smoothly no matter what I try.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Damn... I was really hoping they would have put HEVC encoder hardware in PS5 for this reason. That's alot of data

It still needs to work with the PS4 and PS4 Pro. Maybe they'll add a PS5-specific mode in the future. Same with PS Now, actually. They could both lower bandwidth and increase quality if they switched to HEVC.

Oct 25, 2017
I could have used this a long long time ago

Funny thing is, you could trick the app to let you stream over data quite easily. All it did was check if you were connected to a wifi network when you hit connect initially. You could just spoof a wifi network and disconnect immediafely after. The restriction was dumb, and implemented in such an half-assed way.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It still needs to work with the PS4 and PS4 Pro. Maybe they'll add a PS5-specific mode in the future. Same with PS Now, actually. They could both lower bandwidth and increase quality if they switched to HEVC.

If they didn't put HEVC encoding hardware in the PS5, it might not be able to encode the videostream fast enough to be playable. I know h264 is so popular for streaming because the support is everywhere and the hardware encoding/decoding is really fast

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Hope they re-add the option to select the resolution for PS5 streaming. Since they remove that and went with the dynamic resolution I had nothing but issues with it. My only option is to use the 4.0 version and select not to update it. However with this, you have to link the system each time.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Hope they re-add the option to select the resolution for PS5 streaming. Since they remove that and went with the dynamic resolution I had nothing but issues with it. My only option is to use the 4.0 version and select not to update it. However with this, you have to link the system each time.
Yeah I want that back. I was annoyed it was gone on PC as wel.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I hope it brings overall improvements to the solution over Wi-Fi too, can't make it work smoothly no matter what I try.
Do you have a wired connection with the System? Also what kind of router do you have does it have a gigabit Ethernet port on it? And on the wifi side is your router at least an ac router?

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah. Used to fake it with the Vita before as a phone could be the wifi hotspot for a vita to connect to and use remote play. But it's a crime the Vita cannot connect to a PS5 :(

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Great news. One day though, I hope they integrate the PS Remote Play App into the regular PlayStation app.

Exciting news, nonetheless!

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Great news. One day though, I hope they integrate the PS Remote Play App into the regular PlayStation app.

Exciting news, nonetheless!
Its better that they are separate, easier to just update one side of the fence than having to update their whole app. They went through a whole thing unraveling their app, then basically have just the two apps now lol.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
120 GB per month data plan redeemed!
Won't be using this on the go anyways...
I have been using it at home from my PC quite a bit, though when the living room TV ia occupied. Works great.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Funny thing is, you could trick the app to let you stream over data quite easily. All it did was check if you were connected to a wifi network when you hit connect initially. You could just spoof a wifi network and disconnect immediafely after. The restriction was dumb, and implemented in such an half-assed way.

It just seems this restriction was there because they were worried about lawsuits or something, in case little Timmy goes way over his family's data cap.

I forgot how I did it, or if it was officially supported back in 2014, but I was able to stream DriveClub on my Vita (using my phone as a hotspot) from the other side of town.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
edit : the PS5 is supporting IPv6 so you don't need to do any forwarding (eventually in your firewall)

Is the IPv4 address my PS5 address?
Yes it's the one seen from your PS5 network preferences. But it needs to be attributed to the console with its MAC address.

Otherwise if your router is on DHCP auto it could change but the port forwarding stays on the old address.

Last edited:

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
If they didn't put HEVC encoding hardware in the PS5, it might not be able to encode the videostream fast enough to be playable. I know h264 is so popular for streaming because the support is everywhere and the hardware encoding/decoding is really fast
It has hardware VP9 encoder though.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Yes it's the one seen from your PS5 network preferences. But it needs to be attributed to the console with its MAC address.

Otherwise if your router is on DHCP auto it could change but the port forwarding stays on the old address.
So when im adding TCP/UDP numbers in my router configuration i have boxes for Global Port Range and Local Port Base. Where do I put these numbers in? I also have the option for the Protocol to be TCP/UDP , TCP by itself and UDP.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I'm really curious how this plays over 5G… once we see more UWB networks rolled out this might be a pretty good time in the airport.

Deleted member 23046

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So when im adding TCP/UDP numbers in my router configuration i have boxes for Global Port Range and Local Port Base. Where do I put these numbers in? I also have the option for the Protocol to be TCP/UDP , TCP by itself and UDP.

You''ll probably have to enter a rules for each entries. So it's this :

Local Port Base TCP/UDP 1935
Local Port Base TCP/UDP 3074
Global Port Range TCP/UDP 3478-3480

Or that :

Local Port Base TCP 1935
Local Port Base UDP 3074
Global Port Range TCP 3478-3490
Global Port Range UDP 3478-3479

Both are valid, your router support the TCP/UDP options so it takes less lines. But you also need to put your DHCP router to manual, and chose an adress (19x.x.x.x) for your PS5 (and all your devices...) based on its MAC adress. To be sure that the IPv4 adress of the PS5 won't change.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It has hardware VP9 encoder though.

Doesn't VP9 have spotty support though? I thought Apple devices didn't support it, at least until recently. Though Google Stadia shows there is definitely a lot of promise with it. I don't really know enough about codecs to make a solid judgment either way tbh

Deleted member 23046

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
JuicyPlayer I forgot to mention that if you are on a full IPv6 network, the PS5 can manage it (not the PS4) but tweaks and settings are really dependent on your provider and router (ports are the same).

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
JuicyPlayer I forgot to mention that if you are on a full IPv6 network, the PS5 can manage it (not the PS4) but tweaks and settings are really dependent on your provider and router (ports are the same).
I was testing my PS5 connection and it says my IPv6 is set to automatic. I tired entering my port numbers into my router but my wi-fi and wired connections stopped working so i had to delete them. I'm trying to figure out what i did wrong.