• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
A patent for a new Steam controller has recently been uncovered that will allow the controls to be swapped out:

Described herein are, among other things, handheld controllers that include housings having one or more receiver portions for detachably coupling to one or more controls. For example, a housing of one such controller may include, on a front surface of the housing, a receiver that is configured to detachably couple to one or more joysticks, one or more D-pads, one or more track pads, one or more buttons, and/or the like. In some instances, a user may swap a first control for a second control based on a current application (e.g., game title) that the user is playing, based on comfort of the user, and/or for any other reason.

fbn6cx1jBgxutn3i8NhtTIkSB348bmi4LYqflvTRg2ANb3xi7D9UDiiJAguFAbc0-1IMlnFMjj3nFyx0RKQ5u97zxdTuQLInR1SqEKf1k_EhCrPj0L5Oo-nzwty7jMqIagllxmwhXiQHbQZGWWH6lQ

8g28tK6IYjgOA1zW1qsmC0EPlE06KLFHFj3n0VSsperA9aBTNJOaKafzNWkPnSy07e9IhK1bLwLqQmbldZc3SE4pjiNGK8pizX9MkM9BuMLnDWD3niBPvQmLH8pbzqItISZIGjQTNn-PLDr6gc9BDg

There's been reports that Valve has been updating a firmware on a new Steam controller, it looks like we finally have an idea about the differences between the original and the new Steam Controller.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
"fine then, YOU pick what's on the controller if you want to complain"

from the creators of

"fine then, YOU pick what games get on Steam if you want to complain"

seriously though, if swapping out the parts is actually easy and quick this could be cool

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to be able to put the A button on the left.

Probably not gonna replace my existing Steam Controller though.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
www.slashgear.com

Nintendo NX Patent Shows Controller With Swappable Buttons

I'd wager that most gamers have sat playing their favorite game with controller in hand and wished that their controller were arranged differently. I know…
Been there done that, aka nothing new :)

The news here isn't "This is a world-first patent showing a customisable layout for a video game controller" but rather "This is the first hard piece of evidence that Valve is working on a new Steam Controller."

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Im one of the few that think that the steam controller is great and used it daily. But I don't like the left analog where it is, I would like it similar to the xbox one.
I think the best thing about the steam pad is the fact that you can alter the track pad functionality in real time while holding another button, it's perfect for radial menu.

Now if they could implement that kind of functionality onto other types of controllers via big picture it could be great. Also cause I already broke my first one and now they are out of stock forever...

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is the third swappable button patent we've seen from a major gaming company, but the only one that actually released was a 3rd party PS4 controller.

would be neat if valve followed through.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The news here isn't "This is a world-first patent showing a customisable layout for a video game controller" but rather "This is the first hard piece of evidence that Valve is working on a new Steam Controller."

Not necessarily. The priority date of this application is September 18, 2018. IIRC correctly they stopped selling the old one randomly this past November. So they could have dropped the project in between filing this and it being published.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
For pc, i consider my steam controller and ds4 evenly matched. Looking forward to the followups.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
The Steam controller is still my favorite controller. Replacing the (right) analog stick alone is enough reason for me to never want to use a traditional dual-analog controller again.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Please just make the RB/LB and touch pad buttons take less pressure to press.

It's my primary complaint with both Steam Controllers I own and it's enough of a deal breaker that I've only used them a handful of times, and mostly just testing it out with games. I don't think I've found one game that I've played all the way through it.

Most I've used it in a game was for Mass Effect Andromeda, but either because of Origin or the game itself, the Steam Controller couldn't correctly register when both LB+RB were being pressed at the same time (for my third biotic/tech power). And because of how hard you have to press the RB+LB in general it made using the powers a pain in general.
It sucked going back to a normal analog stick for aiming, but the buttons/bumpers just feel so much better.

I will buy a Steam Controller v2 day one if they've improve the feel of those.

I keep considering lightly modding my Steam Controller (just putting a small piece of tape over those button's internal pads, but I've never found the time to do the actual work.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Not necessarily. The priority date of this application is September 18, 2018. IIRC correctly they stopped selling the old one randomly this past November. So they could have dropped the project in between filing this and it being published.

Ah, I misread "2018" as "2019". Nonetheless, this patent may still be related to a Steam Controller firmware update published last December that's tied to an unknown product ID.

Edit: Also, and I'm sure this goes without saying, but Valve planning to release an updated Steam Controller in the relatively near future would certainly explain last November's fire sale on the original model (granted, it's equally possible Valve just wanted to clear dusty inventory).

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds a lot like Astro's C40 TR. Could be interesting if pulled off well! Astro's controller just didn't have the thumbstick tension.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
I love the steam controller. It was amazing for the price. It has paddles, gyro, big battery life and the right track pad is faster and more precise if you get used to it than an analog stick. One issue though is that the left track pad is useless in most games, a dpad would be much better there. If we could swap them then that would be even better.
One smaller issue is that some of the buttons could be better like the track pad buttons and the paddles( you can barely sense that you pressed my right paddle).
Finally a nitpick i have is the looks, could be better, the glossy plastic especially looks very cheap.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I misread "2018" as "2019". Nonetheless, this patent may still be related to a Steam Controller firmware update published last December that's tied to an unknown product ID.

Edit: Also, and I'm sure this goes without saying, but Valve planning to release an updated Steam Controller in the relatively near future would certainly explain last November's fire sale on the original model (granted, it's equally possible Valve just wanted to clear dusty inventory).

There was also neptune binding last week (now included in beta, but is actually few months old), which may (or may not) have something to do Steam Controller v2. It doesn't match codenames of ealier but timeframe same as those firmwares.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Valve, I'm ready to give you my first-born for a Steam Controller with a good DPad. Pleaseeeeee

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like we saw a Valve patent like this a long time ago when were still hearing news about the Steam controller. It'd be pretty cool if their commitment to abstracting controller presets in software also moved over to making the hardware customizable as well.

I want one that is tracked by Lighthouses for SteamVR.

I also wonder if they'll give this a try.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being able to add a second analog stick for games that are more traditionally controller oriented would make this a must have for me and likely be my single controller from then on.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Being able to add a second analog stick for games that are more traditionally controller oriented would make this a must have for me and likely be my single controller from then on.
Yeah if this comes out with good build quality and the ability to put sticks, d pads, buttons and trackers where I want it will be my primary controller.

Nov 8, 2017
Loved the idea of the gen 1 steam controller but couldn't get into it for most purposes - would loove something truly modular so I could have one pad to rule them all.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly the original idea of Steam Controller V1 was for it to be more modular so if they do a V2 (which there are enough things that seem to point that way) I could imagine it being true.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Some interesting things to note about the patent:

• So far only the Stick housing can be swapped out for a D-pad, which appears to work using Hall sensors for the Controller to figure out what's inserted.
  • The Patent mentions "Computer Readable Media", and in it "Game Session Database", which could mean the controller would have built-in storage for configurations ala XBOX Elite Controllers (Currently the only method to sync it is to link the controller to your steam account).
  • The paddles were modified to have a 4-button layout ala the Elite controllers, which is a welcome change.
  • The USB connector on the top seems to be rectangular, so hopefully that means it's using USB-C.
  • Reading through some of the detailed readings, there's also mention of allowing usage of Microphones & Displays, which means it could have expandability like the Valve Index.

Hopefully this is something they are actually working on, because a V2 is something I would love to have

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, again? A lot of their old prototypes went this direction but I figured they never came to a usable/accessible enough design. Perhaps it was more of a logistics issue or they solved something significant in terms of design? Who knows. Either way, I love my Steam Controller and can't wait for a successor if one is in the cards.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I missed out on the OG so I am definitely in the market for a revised controller. Fingers crossed, indeed.

Jun 2, 2019
Well, i would surely enjoy some kind of D-Pad implementation, but i don't think that's the correct way to do it. Pluggable parts on a controller are more prone to breaking, and i'm perpetually not in the mood to pay for things that shouldn't need replacement in the first place

I would rather have some hybrid D-Pad/Touchpad solution. When a game uses the D-Pad in a secondary manner i set the left touchpad to just touch, it's faster and doesn't detract me from the game as much as pressing the whole thing does

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Maybe this will launch to coincide with the BPM overhaul. In 2028 or something.

Will be very interesting to see if it does come to fruition, soon we'll have two more controller options to choose from on PC with XSX and DS5. And already the Elite V2 will take some beating.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't they have a patent like this before? I could've sworn I've read about this before.

Yep back in 2011 / 2012 iirc, when rumours first started on Valve making a controller. That was around the time they were investigating physical trackballs

Also last year a patent also released from Valve indicating a Steam Controller v2, also had the 4 button paddles. It mentioned they would be FRS rather than buttons - ie could be analogue or act as a button

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Maybe this will launch to coincide with the BPM overhaul. In 2028 or something.

Will be very interesting to see if it does come to fruition, soon we'll have two more controller options to choose from on PC with XSX and DS5. And already the Elite V2 will take some beating.

I'm a bit worried they would try to release the new controller with a second steam machine attempt, which I think would be a mistake because I don't think dual trackpads are for everyone, nor is configuring controls for most games. I think they could make a pretty sweet dual stick controller with their tech if they wanted to; I think it'd better serve a "comfy couch" playstyle that simply works, but has room for users to optimize.

Unfortunately, I imagine they probably can't do both ideas.

Oct 25, 2017
I would be interested if you can swap between different setups, so you can have a Steam Controller v1 setup for mouse driven games, but then swap the other touch pad to a 2nd analog stick for games that play well with a traditional controller.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a bit worried they would try to release the new controller with a second steam machine attempt, which I think would be a mistake because I don't think dual trackpads are for everyone, nor is configuring controls for most games. I think they could make a pretty sweet dual stick controller with their tech if they wanted to; I think it'd better serve a "comfy couch" playstyle that simply works, but has room for users to optimize.

Unfortunately, I imagine they probably can't do both ideas.

kind of agree, since the controller just gets associated with the system it was sold with.
However, the whole point of the Steam Controller is playing you're entire Steam library of games competently. Dual stick simply can't serve that function unless you discard a mountain of games, and assume the audience only want to play dual stick compatible games.

For those people, PCs remain compatible with myriad of traditional controllers that accomplish that. Steam Controller serves its own purpose, which is why I'm always glad they took on this challenge.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
DabC5sN.jpg

ToKDbca.jpg

SQaNyB9.jpg

frPcFv8.jpg

There already seems to be prior art for this patent with this modular Revolution PS2 controller with swappable inputs...

Oct 25, 2017
As long has it doesn't have the left stick on top like the XBox controller I have to skip this. I find that position super uncomfortable to hold (same with the DualShock).

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
some more modular already in the wild:

eSwap PS4 Pro Controller is kinda crazy
www.youtube.com

eSwap PS4 Pro Controller Unboxing - Professional PlayStation 4 Gamepad (Modern Warfare Gameplay)

Unboxing review of new PlayStation pro controller: Thrustmaster eSwap PS4 gamepad. Modular design. Analog stick and d-pad locations can be switched to Xbox o...

similar but not really is the The SCUF Vantage Pro which has a lot of customization.
youtu.be

Add EXTRA buttons to your PS4 Controller

The SCUF Vantage Pro PS4 Controller was at E3 and I got to hands on demo it!💥💥💥Stuff I Use💥💥💥Music Source: https://goo.gl/X3yZVS Camera: http://amzn.to...

I would get one of these but they don't have enough buttons (I need buttons for macros/recording and snapshot toggles etc.) so I have my own DIY frankentroller attached to a cronus max.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Yes! I'm so happy there's hope for another one! Honestly people might think it's weird but this is one of the biggest things in gaming for me. The steam controller has made me enjoy gaming to a way bigger extent the last few years. It is the best thing to happen for playing games to me.

A swappable parts controller that actually works easily sounds amazing even if I think the original steam controller is superior already, I know many other people couldn't really appreciate the trackpads. Would be nice to be able to try anything you want.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
kind of agree, since the controller just gets associated with the system it was sold with.
However, the whole point of the Steam Controller is playing you're entire Steam library of games competently. Dual stick simply can't serve that function unless you discard a mountain of games, and assume the audience only want to play dual stick compatible games.

For those people, PCs remain compatible with myriad of traditional controllers that accomplish that. Steam Controller serves its own purpose, which is why I'm always glad they took on this challenge.
Swapping one of the pads would be cool, or adding the second analog joystick, although the latter would possibly make the controller bulkier.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
What would be the benefit of swapping out a pad for a right analog stick? The right pad is better than using a stick.

My wish is being able to swap the position of the left analog stick with the left pad and a better stick in general.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
What would be the benefit of swapping out a pad for a right analog stick? The right pad is better than using a stick.

My wish is being able to swap the position of the left analog stick with the left pad and a better stick in general.
For you, I like everything about the SC except the missing stick and the small buttons.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

Unless you take the time to optimize around a m+kb binding setup, I think it can be a bit of a chore getting the right pad working decently for certain games. Not to mention a jittery trackpad (that could also benefit from a faster poll rate). At least for dualstick controllers they are usually plug and play and pretty comfortable setups by default. Hopefully v2 would fix some of the pad issues, but I don't think it will be able to solve everything. A potentially great enthusiat controller, but not so much for a basic user just wanting a controller to use, and unless potential Steam machines v2 are geared towards enthusiasts, it's probably not a great option to bundle this controller with it either, imo.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
DabC5sN.jpg

ToKDbca.jpg

SQaNyB9.jpg

frPcFv8.jpg

There already seems to be prior art for this patent with this modular Revolution PS2 controller with swappable inputs...

What's being patented (claims section) seems to be method used to connect, which is different. (Valve's using magnets, hall-effect sensor and rfids tags instead of physical connector), but I'm no patent expert.

At least Valve seems to have considered that, so they likely did actual legal analysis.
(last item in list)

rIBXT5Q.png

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

I hope it's close to release and I wonder how far they could push that concept. Maybe special modules for specific games?