• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
Austin Evans just posted a video where he did a teardown of the new PS5. Upside is that it's slightly quieter. Downside is that they appear to have cheaped out on the cooling and it runs hotter. Heat sink is greatly reduced. Guess we have to see wait and see what that will mean in real world perfomance. Mods feel free to lock if this is old news.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Austin Evans just posted a video where he did a teardown of the new PS5. Upside is that it's slightly quieter. Downside is that they appear to have cheaped out on the cooling and it runs hotter. Heat sink is greatly reduced. Guess we have to see wait and see what that will mean in real world perfomance. Mods feel free to lock if this is old news.

My question is how is the cooling of the memory modules? They would hit really high temps according to Gamer's Nexus (93/94C, though this is admittedly still within spec of course)

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I have a completely silent DE without coil whine or the disc spinning. /living the dream.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
So for once im not a beta tester buying a console at launch? I feel like this also happened with the DS and the 3DS where the quality of the screen went down with later releases.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Same. The disc drive is far from noisy, never had any coil whine from it (and I know what it can be like from my PC...), as quiet as my Xbox One X was. Living the dream indeed.
I might have ended up with one of the loudest coil whines of all PS5 launch models, but it's still so much better than fan noise (and especially the PS4 Pro fan noise) that I really don't care about it

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Can't watch right now, is his methodology just a thermal gun pointed at the console?

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Some people in the comments are saying the exhaust being hotter is better. Any truth to that?
Just by itself it isn't much to go on. It could be that the console is doing a better job of exhausting the same amount of heat which would look like higher exhaust thermals, but it could also mean that the entire thing is just hotter but moving the same amount of heat as the old model relatively speaking, which isn't great

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
So, besides saving a few pennies, what's the reasoning behind the removal of the heatsink? Didn't these things already get pretty toasty as they were?

Edit: Hold on, his conclusion came from the amount of heat at the exhaust? Uhh... that is a hell of a conclusion to jump to if that's the case.

Edit 2: I'd rather wait for someone like maybe Gamers Nexus take a look at this to determine whether or not this is actually "worse" or perhaps, "better" since it's exhausting more heat than the old model.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Launch model heatsink on left, revision model heatsink on right for those that can't watch the video.

EDIT: Found a higher quality picture of the comparison
ZxUt1Ku.png

Last edited:

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
As an aside, I keep forgetting just how ridiculously massive the PS5 is. It looked insane in Austin's hands.

OT: That is a significant amount of empty space inside the new one, compared to the amount of copper in the first model.

Oct 27, 2017
Just by itself it isn't much to go on. It could be that the console is doing a better job of exhausting the same amount of heat which would like like higher exhaust thermals, but it could also mean that the entire thing is just hotter but moving the same amount of heat as the old model relatively speaking, which isn't great
Thanks for the reply

I hope Sony knows what they are doing. Exhausting more heat but the PS5 being more cool inside sounds good but we will have to see if that is the case.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
as long as it's not overheating, I wouldn't mind trading off a few degrees for a quieter fan. obviously ideal scenario is to combine better cooling with quieter fan..,

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
If it doesn't increase component failure rate and is quieter, doesn't really matter if it's hotter I guess.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Launch model heatsink on left, revision model heatsink on right for those that can't watch the video.

nsvJY1a.png

I guess getting that day one PS5 was worth it this time.
Anyway, I'm sure in practical terms it won't make any difference and the new one is absolutely fine but still, I'd rather have the one on the left

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
The title of this thread and of the video doesn't make any sense at all.

Who cares about the temperature, as long as it in the specified range for normal operation? It literally does not matter. You don't even touch the console.

What does matter is noise. This was widely criticised, and it seems like they improved it. So how is the new PS5 revision worse? This is clickbait.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I'm sure Sony got all the data from current PS5s and realized the current heatsink was overkill. But on the other hand, the PS3/PS4 were notoriously bad with the sound.
I want to see DF with these systems and see if there is any performance difference… GN did a video and the memory was already really hot before, I can't imagine now.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see this with a game that really pushes the PS5 thermals. A game that doesn't run at full load won't really demonstrate the true cooling difference between the two.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Why are people always concerned about the temperature of consoles? I'm sure that they have been tested internally and won't lead to overheating.
Because heat = degradation and it's important to know what the thing we're using is doing? And that blindly trusting manufacturers leads to bullshit like the original Xbox 360's RRoD?

What kind of response is this lmao

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Huge reduction in heatsink size which explains the higher exhaust temperature. But it doesn't mean the new revision will overheat. Maybe Sony just went over board with the original design and figured that it came save several dollars by going this route.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
It's measured at 2 different points. Worthrless comparison.

Also HOLY SHIT this person is annoying, like Youtuberrrr cranked to 11.

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
Just by itself it isn't much to go on. It could be that the console is doing a better job of exhausting the same amount of heat which would look like higher exhaust thermals, but it could also mean that the entire thing is just hotter but moving the same amount of heat as the old model relatively speaking, which isn't great
Exhaust temperature is simply not a meaningful metric (also there's only 3°C difference), how hot are the components is what matters.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Who cares about the temperature, as long as it in the specified range for normal operation? It literally does not matter. You don't even touch the console.
The memory on the PS5 was already running really hot before. Not to mention thermal throttling can affect performance. We can't say much because Austin didn't do extensive testing… but blindly trusting Sony or any manufacturer trying to sneak in some cost cutting measures doesn't seem like a good take.

OP
OP
sjackso3

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
Why are people always concerned about the temperature of consoles? I'm sure that they have been tested internally and won't lead to overheating.

I would assume that they have enough data now to realize that maybe the bigger heatsink was overkill. My only concern is as the generation moves on and game become more demanding, will this particular version start to throttle itself? After they do a die shrink on future versions, I guess that won't be an issue but I defer to persons who know a lot more about the thermodynamics of silicon than I do.