• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So for some context, at Computex 2019, NVIDIA and MachineGames announced that the game would be receiving some graphical enhancements on NVIDIA GPUs in the form of real-time raytracing and some other bits and bobs. Furthermore, NVIDIA announced a 'Born to Hunt' bundle for their RTX series of card that'll feature a copy of Youngblood upon purchase of an eligible GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2080, 2070 or 2060 GPU-equipped graphics card, desktop PC or laptop. They released a launch trailer to celebrate this and with it some new gameplay to feast our eyes on. I've got to say, this looks amazing. This synthwave inspired soundtrack too is bopping.

Last edited:

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
There's something wrong with their faces, they look so weird

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Looks very fun. Also, might be off-point for such campy action, but shouldn't the guy being hit by the machete towards the end be turning the other way around ?

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope we get at least 3 well crafted, dishonored-like open areas in this. They're finally putting those Da'at Yichud suits to good use with those upgrades.

We flyin.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
After how bad Rage 2 was I am so fucking ready for a new, good, shooter.
RAGE 2 *is* a good shooter though. As much as I'm hyped for Youngblood, there's no need to compare them at RAGE 2 soundly wipes the floor with it from a gunplay perspective due to the amount of ridiculous powers available.

It's everything else that drags it down (although I was fine with all that so different strokes I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Oh wow I'm kinda turned off by the vomit humour.

Gameplay looks lit, at least.

I mean, she did make somebody's head explode. A nazi shit-stain of a person, sure, but still a person.

I find it interesting that people find violent visuals like that acceptable, but a natural body function being applied in equally tongue-in-cheek fashion, and intended to get across that the characters you play as aren't experienced, hardened killers, manages to make some uncomfortable.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Loved the first game and its expansion. The sequel... not so much. While the writing was great the gameplay itself (particularly how the maps were designed) felt like a chore and lacked focus. I've got good hopes for this though.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, can we please have something to shoot at beyond Nazi, Armoured Nazi, Nazi with a hat and Nazi Dog? Bullet sponge mini bosses you spend 2 minutes strafing around don't count. Come on, use your setting to your advantage for fuck's sake.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
RAGE 2 *is* a good shooter though. As much as I'm hyped for Youngblood, there's no need to compare them at RAGE 2 soundly wipes the floor with it from a gunplay perspective due to the amount of ridiculous powers available.

It's everything else that drags it down (although I was fine with all that so different strokes I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
Yeah I disagree. The core shooting in Rage 2 is fine once you have all the abilities but that's not enough on its own. A shooter needs good level and enemy design on top of that to really let the shooting shine and Rage 2 does not have either.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
looks like a modern Wolfenstein game with more movement options, the video make it seem very frantic but i don´t think it will be this high octane. i hope for more stealth because of Arkane´s involvement.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'll ever not hate it when characters/people say "fucken A" but other than that it looks great.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Hopefully they've learned lessons from New Colossus in terms of pacing/encounter design etc.

The increase in movement options certainly looks good - I wish that had been explored further in the last game

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I disagree. The core shooting in Rage 2 is fine once you have all the abilities but that's not enough on its own. A shooter needs good level and enemy design on top of that to really let the shooting shine and Rage 2 does not have either.
Rage 2 has both of these things: good enemy and good level design. I really don't understand people making this claim.

The open world itself is not well designed, and that's one of the major flaws, but the many of the outposts have very strong design with lots of interconnecting pathways and great use of verticality.

And the enemy design is good, too. The way the enemies move makes combat interesting, they can be quite unpredictable as they scramble to regain footing and keep firing. Shooting off chunks of armour is super satisfying. Nice animations worked into combat like the batter who bats a grenade at you, enemies taunting, falling over themselves... it's actually really good in that respect.

The really problem with R2 is the open world design and the terrible story. NPCs done on forever, the open world has huge stretches of barren nothing (fits the lore, but is not fun to move through), and the driving is very shaky at times.

But the combat, abilities, and much of the encounter designs are top tier. They're just spread too far apart.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I mean, she did make somebody's head explode. A nazi shit-stain of a person, sure, but still a person.

I find it interesting that people find violent visuals like that acceptable, but a natural body function being applied in equally tongue-in-cheek fashion, and intended to get across that the characters you play as aren't experienced, hardened killers, manages to make some uncomfortable.
There are certain types of humor one may subjectively find unappealing within certain contexts.

I liked the serious tone of New Order, so I personally find an equivalent of toilet humor as a trailer punchline a bit off.

Nothing major, really.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Rage 2 has both of these things: good enemy and good level design. I really don't understand people making this claim.

The open world itself is not well designed, and that's one of the major flaws, but the many of the outposts have very strong design with lots of interconnecting pathways and great use of verticality.

And the enemy design is good, too. The way the enemies move makes combat interesting, they can be quite unpredictable as they scramble to regain footing and keep firing. Shooting off chunks of armour is super satisfying. Nice animations worked into combat like the batter who bats a grenade at you, enemies taunting, falling over themselves... it's actually really good ni that respect.
I don't know what to say, I disagree across the board with you. It's good that you enjoyed it though? 🤷‍♀️

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
A shooter needs good level and enemy design

Genuine question, how far did you get into RAGE 2? There's a fuckton of enemy variety and great enemy design the farther you get into the game especially with The Authority. You aren't just facing the Goon Squad... I mean, shit. The game's AI has some genius moments like this

The outposts themselves are really well designed, I don't get this claim at all although I think Youngblood will in the end have the better level design.

Really, there's no need to compare the two in the end as I feel they're going for completely different things. Wolfenstein by nature will always be more grounded combat-wise than RAGE 2 and DOOM meaning combat won't be nearly as frenetic + involved and that's absolutely fine. Not everything has to be a competition, friend. They're all good in the end, imo. I'm thankful these games are even being made in the first place tbqhwyf as they aren't heavy hitters sales-wise.

giphy.gif

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder who makes more threads per day? Vestan, Xenosaga, Bird girl or Phantom something.
Anyway, thanks vestan for keeping us informed.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Genuine question, how far did you get into RAGE 2? There's a fuckton of enemy variety and great enemy design the farther you get into the game. You aren't just facing the Goon Squad... I mean, shit. The game's AI has some genuis moments like this

The outposts themselves are really well designed, I don't get this claim at all although I think Youngblood will in the end have the better level design.

Really, there's no need to compare the two in the end as I feel they're going for completely different things. Wolfenstein by nature will always be more grounded combat-wise than RAGE 2 and DOOM meaning combat won't be nearly as frenetic + involved and that's absolutely fine. They're all good in the end, imo. I'm thankful these games are even being made in the first place tbqhwyf as they aren't heavy hitters sales-wise.

giphy.gif

I'm about 8-9 hours into Rage 2, I've seen more than the Goon Squad and while the enemy design is a bit better I just don't really find any of them fun to fight. The outposts themselves just seem real by the numbers straightforward designs to me, hell they feel way more simplistic than the ones from Mad Max in almost all cases (although a few of them are a bit more elaborate and I did enjoy those!)

I have not in my time with the game so far seen an AI grab and return a grenade like that, that's genuinely cool lol

I agree that I'm glad both got made though. I think Rage 2 is a dud but I'm really glad they tried. The industry needs more single player FPSes.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Genuine question, how far did you get into RAGE 2? There's a fuckton of enemy variety and great enemy design the farther you get into the game. You aren't just facing the Goon Squad... I mean, shit. The game's AI has some genuis moments like this

Really, there's no need to compare the two in the end as I feel they're going for completely different things. Wolfenstein by nature will always be more grounded combat-wise than RAGE 2 and DOOM meaning combat won't be nearly as frenetic + involved and that's absolutely fine. Not everything has to be a competition, friend. They're all good in the end, imo. I'm thankful these games are even being made in the first place tbqhwyf as they aren't heavy hitters sales-wise.

Yep, Rage 2 is strong in these places but I don't blame people for not wading through the bad open world and story and other surrounding parts to get there.

I do hope you're right about YB's level design, the combat on show looks like it's leaning toward what Rage 2 was doing and I would LOVE that, but they took a pretty big step backwards with ANC in terms of level design.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
but they took a pretty big step backwards with ANC in terms of level design.
I made a thread on this here, but MachineGames conducted an AMA a week ago and someone brought up the question of Wolf II's level design, the MachineGames rep explicitly mentioned that they brought on Arkane to help develop the game because they wanted the game to be more open-ended and I quote "Dishonored-like" in terms of level design. So that alone has me confident although gameplay still has a lot to prove. As much as I love these games, the shooting still leaves a lot to be desired and Wolf II was just straight up bad. I've kinda been spoiled by RAGE 2 going into this but I'm hoping it's more than serviceable at the very least.

There's a big FAQ over here if you want to check what they're changing with Youngblood.

I really hope the OST is the kind of music they showed on that gameplay.
Yeah, the soundtrack will be inspired by the synth heavy tones of classic 80s action films

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
There are certain types of humor one may subjectively find unappealing within certain contexts.

I liked the serious tone of New Order, so I personally find an equivalent of toilet humor as a trailer punchline a bit off.

Nothing major, really.

I'd argue that New Order's tone, while desperate, wasn't that serious, as the series has always been grounded in over the top, grind house schlock.

I struggle to call a game that has giant robot dogs, an ancient order of people guarding hyper-advanced technology in their deep sea base, and that lets you single-handedly run around, turning Nazis into a fine red paste, while dual wielding giant shotguns "serious."

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017

I agree good level design is very important which is why i am pretty hesitant about this game. Wolfenstein 2 had HORRIBLE level design imo.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
id gotta stop fuck around and announce the Doom Eternal release date

Pretty much. I caught myself briefly excited for Youngblood then I remembered tonally and mechanically Machine Games fucked up Wolfenstein II so at this point I'm hedging my only bet on DOOM.

I'd argue that New Order's tone, while desperate, wasn't that serious, as the series has always been grounded in over the top, grind house schlock.

I struggle to call a game that has giant robot dogs, an ancient order of people guarding hyper-advanced technology in their deep sea base, and that lets you single-handedly run around, turning Nazis into a fine red paste, while dual wielding giant shotguns "serious."

New Order is generally praised for surprisingly well balanced tonal seriousness, sensitivity, and thematic brevity alongside otherwise outrageous, ultra violent absurdity. Its script and characterisations do a particularly good job of imbuing the grindhouse-like setting and violence with weighted emotional authenticity.

Candy violence shock humour where the punch line is "how funny and cool is killing future Nazis lol" is where Wolfenstein II decided to take the narrative and Youngbloods is following suit.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

Nothing major, really.
The New Order literally guides you towards drowning a guy in a toilet in a comical fashion in one mission. It's not that serious.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I made a thread on this here, but MachineGames conducted an AMA a week ago and someone brought up the question of Wolf II's level design, the MachineGames rep explicitly mentioned that they brought on Arkane to help develop the game because they wanted the game to be more open-ended and I quote "Dishonored-like" in terms of level design. So that alone has me confident although gameplay still has a lot to prove. There's a big FAQ over here if you want to check what they're changing with Youngblood.

Yeah, the soundtrack will be inspired by the synth heavy tones of classic 80s action films

That sounds very promising, thanks for sharing it. If they're going as far as bringing in consultants from games with great level design, I'm confident here too.

It's still baffling how they got this so right in the first game and almost sterilized it in the second, though...

Oct 27, 2017

Don't forget letting you play 2D versions of the old game with new weapons.