• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Wow.

I'm impressed. This is more the sort of "in-the-trenches" kind of storytelling I wanted (but didn't get) out of Starcraft 2. Mayhaps this bodes well for future story content in this vein.

Either that or SC as a franchise is dead and buried but, well, I live for hope...

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no

Yes because it's actually in CGI and looks amazing

No because again it's out of character even for Saurfang.

Saurfang would never, ever, give up on his son's talisman.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
That... was wonderfully unexpected.

Blizz definitely has something up their sleeve. Between the Sylvanas controversy and this... it seems like they know what they're doing.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to nitpick but..

There'S an inconsistency, in the BFA cinematic, he has his collar helmet (from the Might set) and his left shoulderpad

Here he can be seen discarding both and when the dawn comes and the battle starts he obviously doesn't have the time to go get them back.

But that's prety much my one nitpicl (and the fact that again, Saurfang is out of Charcater, he may be less inclined to follow Sylvanas after Teldrassil, but he would never, EVER, discard his son's relic)

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
That... was wonderfully unexpected.

Blizz definitely has something up their sleeve. Between the Sylvanas controversy and this... it seems like they know what they're doing.
This. People really just need to let this play out. This is all the lead up to the expansion after all. They have the scene and then we wait to see what they do with it.

Slayer_X

Oct 27, 2017
Out of nowhere. They have never released more than one full cgi cinematic for an expansion.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just reminded me of how the best part of the Warcraft movie was about the internal conflict of the Orcs. And then it wasn't flushed out at all, and completely wasted the time on crappy stories, jokes and other scenes with no depth.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm going to nitpick but..

There'S an inconsistency, in the BFA cinematic, he has his collar helmet (from the Might set) and his left shoulderpad

Here he can be seen discarding both and when the dawn comes and the battle starts he obviously doesn't have the time to go get them back.

But that's prety much my one nitpicl (and the fact that again, Saurfang is out of Charcater, he may be less inclined to follow Sylvanas after Teldrassil, but he would never, EVER, discard his son's relic)
People do irrational things during moments of extreme emotional turmoil, as shown by the flashbacks intercutting with the current moment. Nothing about this was out of character since, after facing the narrative "turn", he realizes his mistake and rectifies it. There was a lot of stuff about his character, who the vast majority of people probably have at best a vague passing knowledge of, to squeeze in 5 minutes and the cinematic does a sufficient job at it.

I think Blizz is putting in the work in building an icon for the Horde that they can do justice this time around.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
This. People really just need to let this play out. This is all the lead up to the expansion after all. They have the scene and then we wait to see what they do with it.
There's no coming back from a Sylvanas who burns the World Tree "just because".

Horde players have a right to be upset about a new Garrosh situation.

I would have wen along with the storyline if Malfurion actually died but nope, not even that

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As an undead I remain bummed. As a hordey about to lose his fourth warchief to sudden onset stupid villain syndrome I'm still disappointed. I know we'll be villified for this shit for forever. Morally grey remains a bad joke. But yeah. Saurfang is still cool. It's neat to see him get his day. I wonder if Blizzard had any idea where they'd be taking him or what an important character he'd become when they first plopped him down in Valley of Strength in 2004.

Scerick

Oct 29, 2017
Yes and no

Yes because it's actually in CGI and looks amazing

No because again it's out of character even for Saurfang.

Saurfang would never, ever, give up on his son's talisman.

He didn't give it up... He burned it before going to die alone.

You think he wants it to just get lost under the feet of the Alliance?

Cinematic was perfect.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Saurfang is the only horde character I like. Well, the only one who is still alive anyway.

Voljin was robbed.

Syf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That came out of nowhere. Very good cinematic. Maybe they planned to release it later but saw how bad the Horde reaction was to the Sylvanas short lol.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York

Cinematic was perfect.
Yeah, thought they made that pretty clear.
Either way, this cinematic was absolutely fantastic and so out of nowhere that it's how I want all future WoW cinematics to be released...

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason we're in this mess right now because Saurfang didn't want the Warchief position after the Cataclysm, telling Thrall he was far too old for it.

Tfw you just realize post-Cata Azeroth has been around longer than classic...

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Just incredible. This is the sort of stuff I wanted out of a Warcraft movie. I know it's not financially responsible or anything, but come on! Look at that animation!

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

Cinematic was perfect.
He dropped it by the fire and while I agree he wanted to die by the Alliance's hands to attone for his percieved sins, Saurfang would have his son with him at such time.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
There's no coming back from a Sylvanas who burns the World Tree "just because".

Horde players have a right to be upset about a new Garrosh situation.

I would have wen along with the storyline if Malfurion actually died but nope, not even that
I can understand that but it's not like she hasn't done messed up things before. I'm just saying Blizzard has a story they want to tell and we should at least wait until they start telling it in earnest before going crazy. There are ways of giving her an out. It might be questionable storytelling in the end but it's doable.

Scerick

Oct 29, 2017
He dropped it by the fire and while I agree he wanted to die by the Alliance's hands to attone for his percieved sins, Saurfang would have his son with him at such time.
Eh no he dropped it into the fire... Not by it. That was him saying goodbye.

Sorry you're totally misreading the symbolism here.

What could burn, burned, and he used the ashes on his face as war paint. He WAS taking his son with him.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not get too armchair psychologist about what Saurfang would or would not DEFINITELY do with his son's talisman.

function scrollToId(selector, offset = 60) { window.scroll(0, document.querySelector(selector).offsetTop - offset); return false } He dropped it by the fire and while I agree he wanted to die by the Alliance's hands to attone for his percieved sins, Saurfang would have his son with him at such time.
He placed it on the fire, and when the young troll presents it to him it's charred.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not get too armchair psychologist about what Saurfang would or would not DEFINITELY do with his son's talisman.

He placed it on the fire, and when the young troll presents it to him it's charred.
I actually saw it by the fire the first time I watched it. I did it again and yes, you're both right it's in the fire. I still find it ooc but eh, I'll take it as a difference in perception. I'll have to look up if orcs cremate their deceased ones (but I thought not if we go by what goes on in BC Nagrand)

OP
OP
Strakt

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if theres gonna be a cinematic for alliance before the event drops on tuesday.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand that but it's not like she hasn't done messed up things before. I'm just saying Blizzard has a story they want to tell and we should at least wait until they start telling it in earnest before going crazy. There are ways of giving her an out. It might be questionable storytelling in the end but it's doable.
I've done the Horde campaign in the Beta, it will take mopnths for the story to "unfold" and thus will have months of people beeing upset (and wait till the village attack quest because unlike Teldrassil, we're not passive in that one)

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if theres gonna be a cinematic for alliance before the event drops on tuesday.
It would be nice. So far they have, understandably, felt very reactive and everyone but night elves in Alliance haven't been given much of a reaction. I mean, they didn't even have Anduin's in-game model stand up when you tell him what happened to Teldrassil.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Fucking love it, and it reminds me of how they used to do cinematics. It wasn't just a montage of images and sequences with music playing that ended in 2-3 minutes like their traditional cinematics, but it actually told a story. Like the D2 intro cinematic, for instance.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jaina's warbringer video ties directly into the siege of lordaeron. Was sort of surprised it was the first video after realizing that as it could have been debuted much like sylvanas's during the events