• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chasingclouds

Jan 5, 2018
England, U.K.
Avatar team isn't the games team

Never suggested it was, I'm aware that the 'Avatar team' isn't the games team - but the fact that they have an avatar team at all - it is something that Microsoft HAVE a team for, something they have invested in, something they have been working on and supporting since they had Rare create them in 08 (Rare, a game team, making the avatars). The team who currently make avatars are at the end of the day just game devs who could develop games instead of avatars if allowed. Resources and funding and development costs and all that jazz. They have an avatar team and avatars but there was no one saying "oh no Xbox needs improved avatars"
but there ARE millions of Xbox gamers begging for new games. I just can't understand their priorities at all.

I hope there's lots of implementation into games like there was in 1vs100, and Keflings etc. Make them have a good purpose. Like I said, I feel like they lost their way a bit with them, and I really really hope they're back with some focus and for more than just cosmetic purposes and selling avatar gear in the store. And all the old stuff MUST be compatible - I have soooooo many outfits and stuff unlocked from games on my 360! I will be really upset if it isn't carried forward.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
Never suggested it was, I'm aware that the 'Avatar team' isn't the games team - but the fact that they have an avatar team at all - it is something that Microsoft HAVE a team for, something they have invested in, something they have been working on and supporting since they had Rare create them in 08 (Rare, a game team, making the avatars). The team who currently make avatars are at the end of the day just game devs who could develop games instead of avatars if allowed. Resources and funding and development costs and all that jazz. They have an avatar team and avatars but there was no one saying "oh no Xbox needs improved avatars"
but there ARE millions of Xbox gamers begging for new games. I just can't understand their priorities at all.

I hope there's lots of implementation into games like there was in 1vs100, and Keflings etc. Make them have a good purpose. Like I said, I feel like they lost their way a bit with them, and I really really hope they're back with some focus and for more than just cosmetic purposes and selling avatar gear in the store. And all the old stuff MUST be compatible - I have soooooo many outfits and stuff unlocked from games on my 360! I will be really upset if it isn't carried forward.

Where you messed up was with your assumption that these devs are "game devs". They are not. Also you are assuming that this is a large enough budget going into Avatars that it would make any sizable impact on game development budgets at Microsoft. Both of these assumptions are just wrong.

You might as well be arguing that its a great idea to have your background services developers who work on customizing an Oracle DB for a service running across tens of thousands of co-located servers work on UI for a Windows desktop application. After all, they're all developers...

Flamin' Galah

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sell me clothing similar to the avatars on the Xbox 360 and I'll spend at least $50 on various items from games that I love.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this is a precursor to a new 1 vs 100-like game. I wouldn't be mad if the rumored kart racer is built with these in mind.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
Rumor has it that Phil was shown two options, Sunset Overdrive 2 or new Avatars. They only had the funds for one, and they were completely equal in cost. Looks like Phil chose the Avatars.

On topic, that was more detailed than I thought they were going to be. Hopefully we see some interesting usages of them. Mix them together with the Career system and a few fun games like a trivia game in the vein of 1 vs 100.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

xbox-avatar-editor_desktop_2.png

xbox-avatar-editor_desktop_4.png

Source:
https://www.dunbardev.com/work/microsoft/xbox-avatar-editor/

looks really good.

Wizzly

Jan 10, 2018
Should they stop making consoles and focus on games?

What about services?

No need for a marketing team when you have no games.

Microsoft should just sell Xbox huh?

I doubt MS could pay five years full time some companies like Guerilla or Naughty Dog , to finally give the game as service.
Anyone could pay one time 15$ for game pass to get the game and finish it in one month.

Companies like Ubisoft make their money from multi platform, i don't think you'll find a game like ACO in the game pass at launch;
or Microsoft would have to buy Ubisoft.

Services is multiplayer only some MS exclusives.
And there is too much X360 games, not enough Xbox One games.
Halo 5 is not free on Game Pass you must pay another 15$ while it's a MS game. Forza games are not in game pass, Ori or CUp Head are not in game pass also.

Game pass is very special service and it's another subject we don't need to discuss here.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I forgot that avatars even existed if it werent for sometimes seeing them on the xbox app.

Its hilarious that Microsoft is only just now revamping them while Nintendo has basically shoved Miis to the corner for being a relic of the Wii brand.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it funny that I can do this for a character that just sits there on my dashboard, but not for my pirate, for some reason.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
There is nothing derailing , it was meaning i prefer MS to show what they are working on about games and showcase that instead of avatars i don't care so much.
I let people interpret how they want.

But that is not what you said. You explicitly said "Work on games NOT avatars". Not "I would prefer they show the work they are doing on games instead of showing the avatar stuff".

Beyond this, MS didn't show this off. This is a leak which they are clearly trying to get taken down (as if that can ever really happen on the internet).

Next you tried to derail things by somehow complaining about GamePass in a thread about Avatars...

So, yea...

For the rest of us that are actually in this thread to talk about new Avatar details, this is a pretty awesome thing to see. This is a tremendous amount of customization and I can only hope this is legit and not some mock-up video made before they started working on it just showing what they were hoping to accomplish.

My biggest fear is MS is trying to get the video taken down specifically because this was a target render and not an example of what they were able to actually create for the new avatars.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot they were revamping these and also kinda forgot about Avatars in general until that thread earlier about the Avengers stuff being free in NA.

I like the Avatars more than Miis in their customisability but somehow Nintendo made theirs more expressive and emotive and have more character. I just wish Miis let you dress them up, in games and such and not just in the Street Pass thing.

Nov 12, 2017
Color me impressed. Microsoft is really taking what Nintendo started with the Miis and running with it. Actually looking forward to how they implement them (1vs100 pls!)

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Without avatar based games I'm not that excited

Either that, or make it more prominent on the xbox daily life, in the 360 it was cool to turn on the console and see your avatar

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
After watching them play the Jackbox Party Pack on Mixer a few months ago, I always thought a 1v100/Jackbox-like game with Mixer-integration is a must. You can advertise Mixer with it, let people login with their MS accounts, use the new Avatars and you have a Stream-friendly exclusive.

What's there not to like?

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
After watching them play the Jackbox Party Pack on Mixer a few months ago, I always thought a 1v100/Jackbox-like game with Mixer-integration is a must. You can advertise Mixer with it, let people login with their MS accounts, use the new Avatars and you have a Stream-friendly exclusive.

What's there not to like?

It's a great idea. Avatars need to be in social games. Such a missed opportunity.

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man, how stupid can you be. This MS employee is such a bonehead. You know that feature isnt finished and theres confidentiality agreements, but hey you just put it on your portfolio site on the net. No one will see that.... Some people are just unable to use common sense.

otherwise, they look great. I hope they do something good with them other than it appearing on my dashboard.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is nothing derailing , it was meaning i prefer MS to show what they are working on about games and showcase that instead of avatars i don't care so much.
I let people interpret how they want.

Then why even enter a thread that's about avatars when you don't care about them?

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Then why even enter a thread that's about avatars when you don't care about them?

In which part of what i said means i dont care about them? I said i want them to do something good with them. As it is now, the dashboard doesnt even show you peoples avatars unless you pin those people on your dash.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
It looks fun and neat.
That is all I can say really, but if I ever get an Xbox, I'll def be spending a whole day just making my avatar.
I did that already with FFXIV... maybe I'm too obsessed with details.

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
Fusion Frenzy
1vs100
Any kart type game

They need to be a Hub type community with these avatars where you can watch trailers, go to a virtual store to buy new clothes and stuff, play all sort of little games (poker/bowling/pool/etc.) and put that game in Game Pass Access only. This should would totally work and could expand with new sections/dlcs and stuff monthly. money hat. people would get hooked.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
The best thing about these is the animation. The animation is absolutely stellar.