• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont dislike shulk, though I was disappointed with him after all the hype for him as a protag (and the game's story in general), but Rex, on the other hand, looks like he's being written with all the shonen tropes I've grown to dislike over the years. given how these tropes are usually done for younger/teenaged characters, it's probably has to do with why I prefer older characters in media now. they dont go on these deterministic monologues to the bad guys.

these journeys of growth and maturity stories are exhausting me. I'm getting old and I'm not even 30 years old yet
I get that. 42 here, but I don't let that stuff bother me anymore. A game can have a shit awful story, but I could think it was a great game if it has good to great gameplay and is fun. Videogame stories are bad and I don't foresee that changing in my lifetime. That is why I love Blizzard and Nintendo. They put gameplay above story all day long. One of the biggest reasons they have great games that are still fun to play 20-30 years later.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Just so everyone knows. From all the previews that came out, if there was one consistent consensus is that the gameplay is actually fun. Some even said that the "grind" that is typical in JRPG's is also something that you actually want to do. No overt complaints about the UI or the Gameplay, or even the infamous "those enemies are nothing but HP sponges" claim.

But of course, consensus so far is that the story and characters are actually also pretty remarkable (better than both previous XB titles) and that for some, in their opinions, the "anime tropes" were not so over-exaggerated (to the point of being annoying at least).

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I love how shonen manga, classic boy meets girl type story this seems.
And we already have hints of Takahashi craziness sprinkled in.
Hype at max level now.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
here is another look at the mecha from the trailer
DPyDZcpX0AAo0pp.jpg:large

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Never played a game in this series, how is the battle system in this??

Is it Action style like Tales games, traditional turn based(Dragon Quest), or something like the Gambit system from Final Fantasy 12??

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This trailer is great and pretty much convinced me to buy it. I had originally decided not to buy it because I was (and still am) uncomfortable with several of the character design choices that are prominent and unavoidable. I'm still concerned they may break immersion, but this story trailer suggests there's enough heart here for this to feel like XC1 and for me to overlook stuff like Pyra's design, etc.