• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese Xenoblade twitter account has been posting screenshots and renders for most of the main characters in Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. They have also begun posting additional screenshots since this post was written, so I'll update it whenever the account posts new images.

Newest Images:

EY6ObsAUMAAufgP

EY0369jU4AATxnV

EY0369KUYAUS5BJ

EYhihVPU0AEtP3B

EYhihWkVAAA6-1g

EYhihVqU4AA6671

EYhihVHU8AAjZpS

EYS-K4zUcAAUFz-

EYS-K4xU8AAkzuN

EYS-K3uVAAAFa1G

EYQzN2GU8AEwIVp

EYQzN2gUMAEpQ2l

EYQzN2qVAAETumb

EX5K_0QU0AAabkE

EX5LARYUcAA-qVq

EX5LATDU8AErtu5

EX5LAzcUMAAoSUK

EX5LA3CVcAASNIk

EX5LA_9VAAEjE1J

EX5K_0GU4AELo5V

EX5K_1PUEAEiBdb

EX5K_18U8AIHIoC

EXySdw7VcAAL3ej

EXyScg4VAAEZZra

EXySchJU0AEzcrF

EXySchjU4AAq59z

EXySdhwU0AEGJn5

EXySdhZVAAA27MB

EXySchzVAAArkdg

EXySdB7UcAEHU9-

EXySdCxUEAEANTv

EXySdDeUMAAfgjE

EXySdYNUMAE6Wsq

EXySdfRUYAAOWOI

EXaJM0tUEAAUBnW

EXaJNQtUcAAO8Lw

EXaJNXDUMAAmnph

EXaJN8JUwAAdmRP

EXaJOTVUYAEW2j7

EXaJN9WUYAAIkce

EXaJMzjU4AAa4ee

EXaJMzjU4AETnJD

EXaJM0QVAAA38tZ

EXaJNkWVAAA95Vp

EXaJN3WU4AEzsxC

EXaJN69U4AAUjJD

EXYQWPUUcAEb292

EXYQWPYU0AAkSJi

EXYQWPwVcAA-E7T

EXYQWPvUEAE3SOw

EXYQbdsU4AAEluP

EXYQbfjUwAI_76I

EW0MbH6UcAEziBe

EW0ClHEVAAAQfTC

EW0ClkXUcAAkcn9

EW0ClkOU8AI8_a9

EW0ClJcU0AAgdD9

EW0ClHcUYAEHpg3

EW0ClIkUMAATO_g

EWqEEEZUMAE2kd5

EWl334pUwAApYhh

EWl32nyUEAANxsY

EWl34EeU8AAIiTO

EWl32n1VcAAMCIg

EWl32pAU4AIu0tW

EWl335eVcAAYPVi

EWl333WU4AAK6Ts

EWl32uMU8AAdKjL

Character screenshots:

EWlDlsZU0AEoUfh

EWlDniXVAAIh4Md

EWlDoiXU4AMMyPB

EWlDomaVcAEocgV

EWlDqB9U8AAJIAB

EWlDqJZUcAAZZJu

EWlDnkuUwAABttI

EWlDn_EUcAEz_Rf

EWlDlehVcAEnMeA

EWlDldxUEAACyrR

EWlDpXiUMAA5DAq

EWlDpr3U0AEqd-z

EWlDqgBUEAE09WQ

EWlDq8IUEAA4DSB

Renders:

EWloQOwUwAEljAU

EWloT_uU0AEkqa4

EWloT_5U0AAY-e8

EWloUCKUMAEvyvt

EWloUD1U4AEw9IJ

EWloUXjUEAEBVtp

EWloUZbUYAANVQB

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even at their best the Wii versions always had that kinda 'kill me now' look to the faces. These look much better, even making them attractive.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
They look great. I'd say Riki looks the least improved. Plus, that last shot shows up the limitations of the remaster - Reyn's body is pretty angular in places, rather than rounded, and Sharla's hotpants look pretty flat.

That being said, there's no mistake for me - this is a gorgeous remaster and I'm really looking forward to it.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, amazing update. Reyn looks a bit different, but I don't dislike the change, he's definitely more handsome now. All others are natural, perfect upgrades.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
The difference is impressive. Melia got the biggest glow up of them all.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Absolutely beautiful!

I must not be tempted, must not be tempted...

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
The engine clearly got better since Torna.

Character-wise I think Reyn and Fiora look different. Their faces give different expressions than before, changing how I view their personality.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda forgot how ugly the characters could look in the original, especially Melia..

I mentioned it over in the main thread already, but I always thought Melia was supposed to have pointy elf ears. Only now with the upgraded models I realize it weren't supposed to be elf ears, but the ears were just really low polygon, lol.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Question out of curiosity, do we know if this runs on the XC2 engine? Curious to see improvements if so.

OP
OP
TheGreatLugia

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Question out of curiosity, do we know if this runs on the XC2 engine? Curious to see improvements if so.
I'm guessing it's running on an updated version of the Torna engine. It has elements of the visuals like the way grass, metal, and water looks. It also seems to have an improved version of Torna's visual effects in cutscenes (I think it was a depth of field effect?).

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank God they didn't fully anime-ify them. They still have noses...

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all mentioning downgrades are crazy. Everybody got dat glow up.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Reyn is the only one that makes me feel like I'm not gonna like his design at first but he'll probably grow on me.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Do you remember when it was announced and people said that they hardly saw a difference because they couldn't remember what the Wii version was like?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned it over in the main thread already, but I always thought Melia was supposed to have pointy elf ears. Only now with the upgraded models I realize it weren't supposed to be elf ears, but the ears were just really low polygon, lol.
lmao I didn't even realize that so I had to go back. It looks really funny.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I think this shows a far superior consistent art style which while not the same as Xenoblade 2, it does show a character art style they could move forward with in future Xeno games. I understand that some people won't like it because they perceived the original XBC characters to be more realistically rendered but held back by Wii graphics - I, however, always pictured them more 'anime' in their renders, more stylized I suppose and these Definitive Edition versions are perfect imo.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Man puberty hit these characters hard.

I love the new artstyle, this is a different artist than XB2 right? While I loved some of his work (Moràg, Nia, Lora) I hope they stick with this one for new projects as well.