legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With most of the reporting in (82% currently), in a major upset, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has defeated incumbent Joe Crowley in tonight's Primary, currently sitting at 57%, to his 43%.

ALEXANDRIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
DBfZCrbXgAA9TJH.jpg

DgqUndPW4AErkbb.jpg

Last edited:

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
57+48 is ...more than 100. Though the image says 43.

But hey, congrats! Maybe we have some hope of dismantling ICE.

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is great stuff. Glad 2018 could have an Eric Cantor moment but it be an actual good person.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! A little sad that I don't live in the right part of NYC to vote for her.
Wow, that's pretty huge, didn't he out fundraise her massively?

Yeah, and he was also seen as a likely successor to Nancy Pelosi. It's comparable to when Eric Cantor (who was number 2 Republican in the house at the time, so he'd probably have been speaker now) was beaten in a primary in 2014.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Massively. Also, her reliance on small contributions from supporters ala Bernie:

By like 10 to 1. She didn't accept any corporate donations.

Yes, by like 10x. Huge upset.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! A little sad that I don't live in the right part of NYC to vote for her.

Yeah, and he was also seen as a likely successor to Nancy Pelosi. It's comparable to when Eric Cantor (who was number 2 Republican in the house at the time, so he'd probably have been speaker now) was beaten in a primary in 2014.

Woah...

The Eric Cantor comparison is on point.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And this is how you do it. Want change? Fight to take power. If you're in a solid blue district, you can do this with no risk. In purple/red areas, you can try, but you're likely to lose...because you're in a purple/red area.

Pro-Life Lipinski barely held on in his solid blue district in Chicago, likely because the GOP race only had one (Nazi) candidate and thus w/ open primaries, he was going to get GOP crossover voters. There's really no reason that he and Gabbard shouldn't be getting challengers every primary season.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's obvious when looking back at it, but it's still pretty wild to me.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Primary away in safe blue seats; no problem. We should be trying to push the politics of this country as far to the left as possible.

Now we just need someone to primary Tulsi Gabbard, a veritable Blue Dog who shows #civility toward dictators.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a good thing? Just hoping in our excitement we don't end up losing years of valuable experience.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm super glad but also less than 25,000 voters for a primary just feels bad

OP
OP
legacyzero

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
By the way- Alexandria got no love from the Democrats, or the media. They know her name now.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Isn't she a BERNIE BRO? Who cares about her! /s

I hope there is more good news tonight.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the way- Alexandria got no love from the Democrats, or the media. They know her name now.
Parties and elected politicians don't generally back challengers to incumbents outside of unusual circumstances, and on the media end, neither did Crowley- it's a House race and he doesn't have a national profile.

None of that was unusual. NYC Machine politics do suck, though, and I'm good with this for that reason alone.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
The only tell was the massive spending from Crowley. Something was obviously up, but Crowley's campaign was airtight and no one leaked the polling numbers that were obviously freaking them out.

Yeah, I'm probably looking at the overspending too closely. At the very least, I should have seen she had a fighting chance since Crowley obviously saw her as a problem.

OP
OP
legacyzero

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hoping this opens the doors for Cynthia Nixon for Governor. She's getting the same negative attention from the DNC and DCCC right now that Ocasio-Cortez and Paula-Jean was.

"WE NEED MORE WOMEN RUNNING FOR OFFICE! Not you two tho...."

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Good, every single last Corp Dem needs to be dragged out and replaced with Progressives. Every single last one. They bring nothing of value to us and this party needs to be completely reshaped by Progressives.