• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
To all my NYers in this thread you seen that alert the state put out?
Yes.

image0.png

Shit is that bad.

The Mayor mentioned in a press conference today that NYC needs about 45,000 extra healthcare workers.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people have to go to work, they need the money

if the bills arent going to disappear then what are they supposed to do? not everybody has a job that can be done from home

Precisely how we're being failed. Ain't nobody needs finna be met by the government if we all sit at home.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Would be nice to not pay rent but I assume our elderly landlords rely on rent for a big portion of their expenses. I don't think they're wealthy either, though who knows.
You're right. Not every landlord is some rich owner preying on renters. They chose to invest in rental property as a critical source of income. It can't just stop.

There would have to be mortgage forgiveness as well. Mortgages, property taxes, maintenance. A lot of landlords would not be able to pay expenses if people stopped paying rent. If they have to foreclose on the property, then the renter would probably get evicted anyway. Lose lose for everybody.

Somebody in the chain, renter or landlord, can't just stop paying without somebody suffering, unless there's some sort of bailout. If banks could stop mortgage payments, then landlords could stop rent payment.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I'm not too far from the city (Dutchess) and this whole thing is just a lot to watch unfold.

7 days ago you could hear people still somewhat defiant and reckless outside, enjoying the sun and in my case some were even partying just down the block like it was any other day.

Today I have heard exactly 2 people outside my window all day and that was one person yelling at another for not having a mask on. Everything is silent except the passing of cars and the distant blaring of police and ambulances. It is surreal to see. There is something off in the air itself, as if the uncertainty and fear many of us have has seeped out into the air. I have already lost a cousin and know others fighting with it as I type this.

Stay safe everyone.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
This was a photo of the subway train yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if it surpasses the death numbers compared to Italy. Lots of ppl still gotta go to work.

6073176_040320-wabc-train-crowd-2-img.jpg
So many poor and working class people, aka "essential workers", are going to be sacrificed on the altar of late stage capitalism during this pandemic that it's disgusting. I'm hoping to be able work from home starting next week, but so many people/essential workers are just trying to make ends meet and don't have that option. I hope people think about this photo before they complain about being stuck working at home in their pajamas while posting Tik Tok videos.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are they running less subway trains than usual in NYC? That would be a huge mistake.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if riots are going to become a possibility soon.

If you have tens of million of people even out of work for even a short period of time we could be seeing some serious civil unrest. Which I'm sure Trump would handle incredibly well like everything else related to this.

H3llR8iser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is yesterday too.....damn idiots, like we NYkers don't have enough problems already....

May 26, 2018
If you have tens of million of people even out of work for even a short period of time we could be seeing some serious civil unrest. Which I'm sure Trump would handle incredibly well like everything else related to this.

"Well, they're terrorists. Most of them want to destroy our great nation. And we have the best police, the best national guard - they know who's who - and if a lot of them pulled the trigger with their guns facing the crowd, like this, bang bang bang, you know, well, maybe a few innocents here and there, but we'll find out, won't we? But I bet not many. Not many more than you. If it's to stop an attack, maybe they shouldn't have said anything. Stayed home. They knew how dangerous it would be. Next question."

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I think she'll be fine. I live there as well and things are quiet. People are doing their best to stay home. That said, the other day, we were looking at number of cases based on zip code, and the numbers were really bad. Then it hit me that our zip code is Ridgewood and Glendale combined.
Yeah it's a big area. I miss Ridgewood. For most of my time in NYC I lived there and in around Bushwick.

Glad to hear things are ok in that neighborhood. I appreciate the update.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
I've noticed a strong correlation between neighborhoods of low income and rates of infection - basically, the poorer your family is, the more likely you have a low-paying job that's actually very essential, so you have to keep commuting, which means you spread the illness, crowding hospitals which are the least-equipped with equipment. Westchester county has a far higher rate of infection per capita but fewer deaths because it's a richer part of the region.

This is probably why Detroit, New Orleans, and rural Georgia are the current hotspots, and why a big chunk of the south is so vulnerable. COVID is a poor man's disease, at least in the US.

That's one contributing factor of course especially in the case of rides being outright canceled last minute. However the MTA itself said they very intentionally cut train service to discourage people from traveling and encourage social distancing. They also cut service because ridership was obviously down anyway. This is gonna have an effect where the service that is available are gonna have more riders. Seeing as that was the rationale behind that decision I'm absolutely in my right to criticize it.
For the record, this might have been true for the first few days, but it's definitely NOT true now. I heard the same thing out of Boston, where the MBTA cut trains for a day or two, realized service cuts were contributing to increased crowding, and added the service back.

In the case of NYC, the MTA is definitely not running enough trains, but they openly admit they would add more if they had the staff to run the trains.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I think she'll be fine. I live there as well and things are quiet. People are doing their best to stay home. That said, the other day, we were looking at number of cases based on zip code, and the numbers were really bad. Then it hit me that our zip code is Ridgewood and Glendale combined.
Where can you find out by zipcode?

Forgrim

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Live in the heart of manhattan, currently my girlfriend is staying with me, and we got hit with that emergency alert. Admittingly, i'm selfish and definitely don't want my girlfriend to go to a hospital (a registered nurse) because she's in school to further her nursing and currently doesn't have health insurance.

She's currently manning a health hotline at a clinic to help out, so she's doing her part, but if she wonders about helping out in hospitals, i'd be scared. Legit virus is just ripping through the city.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I had to step outside yesterday to pick up a prescription and was honestly surprised to see that outside was pretty close to being a ghost town (This was in washington heights in 181st street in the middle of the afternoon; it's usually incredibly busy) and the handful of people that were out were getting groceries or waiting for the bus, and people were keeping their distance.

Might not be the case everywhere in the city, but people are definitely listening.
Rite Aid? I was there too. Place has been sustaining me.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
NY NEEDS TO SHUT DOWN LIKE ITALY. There simply isn't any other way. I'm not smart enough to think of the logistics of it all but the federal government needs to step the fuck in and have FEMA and the national guard step in to deal with the transportation of hospital workers and delivery of goods to hospitals. We're supposed to be the richest country in the world and we can't afford to help out our citizens. What a fucking failure this is turning out to be.

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
The MTA is getting hammered by Covid. They can't keep putting people behind trains buses and subways. I would imagine like 60-70% of their staff is infected and the ones working are probably asymptomatic. The Federal Government needs to step in but we have this fucking orange man baby of a president who is woefully inept to deal with a situation like this.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
Does anyone know why still so many people are getting it there? Are people violating the lockdown? Or have the measures been helping but since NYC has so many people, there isn't much you can do?
We are the capital of the universe. So many people from all over the world are here fam. Everyone on that train is most likely service workers. Rarely you see natives with whips.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
Man wtf my zip code has a lot; it seems like a lot of the ones that have infections in Brooklyn are working class neighborhoods while the lame ass hipster/gentrified ones have lower.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Isn't Manhattan the wealthiest part of NYC?
Yup. By a large margin. There's also the issue that while technically the most dense borough because of said wealth many aren't in the borough and have fled elsewhere; summer homes, parents in the burbs etc. I know a few. Along with a creeping problem of empty lodging (airbnb, property brought as simple investment in a pre-covid slowing down, but still crazy expensive, condo market, etc)

It's hard to for people to understand how many people it takes to make NYC to run even on a shutdown level;. You have flights flying out? You need TSA. Restaurants in takeout mode? you need workers. Garbage piling up? Sanitation workers. You need NYPD because how else are they gonna hand out tickets and hit their police brutality numbers for the month, lol. Most of them are located in the outer boroughs outside of poorer neighborhoods in Manhattan (Harlem and above), and with drastically cut trains...you get the picture

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I was let go from my job two weeks ago. My boss called me today and asked if I could fill in for one of the workers who's "been sick for the last 3 days"

I accepted but going back out into the world, particularly riding the train after quarantining for two weeks is gonna be crazy.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Can't lie I'm scared, I live in the heights and I always got my n95 mask on and away 6ft and beyond. Hell, even in my apt I stay in my room away from my parents.

I'm dreading going to work next week, I work one week and off the next (still get paid my off weeks). However, my concern is when I end my shift in the morning to go home. Since I work the midnight shift it's ghost town so I don't be worried.

I just want to survive this cause my anxiety levels are thru the roof these days. Hard to breathe at times :/

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently in zip code with a shit ton of cases in NYC and I'm also in the middle of a move. I think I'm just going to eat a month or two of rent and continue staying at my parents because I'm fucking terrified of going outside at this point. Our health is way more important.

I've been pretty calm and collected throughout but it's really starting to wear on me and my anxiety is rising.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't been out in weeks but I heard my area has had astoundingly high Covid rates. Not risking it.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Actually scrounged up enough to pay my gas bill and the damn website has been down all day.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Fellow NYer here. I had to go out two days ago for fingerprinting, otherwise I'd be in home but there was no social distancing on the MTA trains like they promised. Every car was jammed and inside the jammed cars, not everyone was wearing some sort of face covering. I wish everyone would take this seriously. It doesn't require much effort to use a face covering so just fucking do it 🤕