• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Cool stuff, would've never thought there was enough info about the M2 to run an entire Youtube Channel around it

ninjaurbano

Jan 7, 2018
It looks like N64 level of graphics. I wonder why Konami used it for arcade games in 1998 because it was already obsolete at that time.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I had a 3DO that was a fascinating console. I had few games : Starfighter, Fifa, Road Rush and several demo disk with games such a Captain Qasar, Bladeforce, Po'ed, and sevral other games. Underrated console imo.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
It looks like N64 level of graphics. I wonder why Konami used it for arcade games in 1998 because it was already obsolete at that time.

At least one of those Konami arcade games came out in 1997. M2 was the best low-cost hardware that existed in 1996-1997, a bit stronger than 3DFX Voodoo 1.

Sega's Dreamcast based NAOMI was far more powerful but wasn't available until late 1998, just before the console release in Japan.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I just heard on Giant Bomb a week or so ago there was a prototype M2 controller on Ebay & that's how I learned about said console. I might have to give this a watch.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Sweet. The channel actually has decent Heat Of Eleven '98 video. I think the only Konami M2 arcade I've played was Total Vice.

If the M2 did come out as a console, it probably would have been squeezed to death before the PS2 launch.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Sweet. The channel actually has decent Heat Of Eleven '98 video. I think the only Konami M2 arcade I've played was Total Vice.

If the M2 did come out as a console, it probably would have been squeezed to death before the PS2 launch.

Squeezed to death between Dreamcast and PS2, without a doubt, yeah. The M2 was originally supposed to launch Christmas 1995, although that was before the hardware was upgraded with a second PowerPC 602 processor and more RAM (originally 4-6 MB, then 8 MB).

Next Generation, June 1997:

VlKRCbf.jpg

7UlgfKe.jpg

vLMRtrG.jpg

EDGE magazine, July 1997:

tNB0PUH.jpg

WNVaOvp.jpg

Sega was in negotiation in late '95 / early '96 with Panasonic to use the M2 as its 64-bit console hardware. That fell apart too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Full preview of IMSA Racing.

CUQLsRj.jpg

sAwt1Op.jpg

https://web.archive.org/web/19970605163257/http://www.next-generation.com/news/051797a.chtml

While Next Generation Online had a pretty good idea of what should be expected from the M2 in terms of graphics, the editors were somewhat surprised when the system actually delivered something near what was promised.
Based upon the demo of 3DO's IMSA Racing the M2 hardware graphically eclipses any currently available consoles and even manages to do a slightly more impressive job than even 3Dfx powered PCs. Textures were extraordinarily clean, there was no discernible pop-in but this wasn't by virtue of fogging. There simply was no discernible horizon on the game. This is partially due to track design (with turns) but even on straight-aways one couldn't see any pop-in. Framerate of the game was consistently high and was claimed to be locked at 30 fps by the game's director. The entire game runs at 640x480 which even made the menu screens look better than typical console games through the use of anti-aliased text.
The game itself was a fairly straight forward racing game, distinguished primarily by its incredibly clean graphics. All shadows were cast in real-time and there was a dynamic soundtrack. Doppler shifts in audio as cars pass or the grandstand is passed are all done in real-time. All textures were filtered and tri-linear mip-mapped providing extremely beautiful visuals. In comparison to typical Nintendo 64 games, there was none of the tell-tale blurring usually associated with bilinear-texture filtering. Specular highlights on chromed textures and even glossy cars are stunning.
At one point in the game (albeit a load screen) there are four colored dynamic spotlights moving over a 7,000 polygon model of one of the race cars as the camera spins around. While it doesn't add anything to the gameplay, it does give some insight into the system's capabilities.

Last edited:

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if it was already noted but a few of the Konami arcade games for the M2 based arcade board (the football game and the fighting game) are clearly based on similar N64 games (ISS '98 and Deadly Arts).

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
For additional direct feed footage there is this italian YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEagTa9VZSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LtKHZbY9uE

M2 stood no chance if it was released in 1997.
Too few software support at that point, it would have been a still born.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'm not sure if it was already noted but a few of the Konami arcade games for the M2 based arcade board (the football game and the fighting game) are clearly based on similar N64 games (ISS '98 and Deadly Arts).

Yeah, looking at Battle Tryst for M2 arcade board, it definitely looks like it was based on N64's Deadly Arts.

Edit: I would've liked to have seen what SEGA AM2 and Namco could have done with M2, given how hard they pushed the Saturn and PSX, respectively.

Especially with their own engines and tools.

Last edited:

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
I will admit I bought a 3do back then because of the promise of the M2, in retrospect I should have known better than believing Trip Hawkins..

JuanMR2

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks could have gotten a really good Killing Time sequel.

I remember winning a copy of Killing Time for the 3DO in the early internet days. On their website you were placed in a maze and were presented with a choice of turning left or right, I guessed correct maybe once or twice in a row then I was met with a "you were killed" screen after choosing incorrectly. I simply hit the back button on the browser each time I chose wrong then selected the opposite choice and eventually made it through the maze until I won the copy of the game. Think that's the first and last time I won anything online :(

edit: Actually I won a free hat in the NBA Thread not too long ago, but the contest runner took the gift back since I didn't post in the thread often enough :(

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was always curious about the M2. I remember seeing that fake footage of an FPS game on TV (at the end of this video).

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I was always curious about the M2. I remember seeing that fake footage of an FPS game on TV (at the end of this video).

I remember seeing FPS game on TV as well, and even recorded it on VHS. Like the M2 Car demo, it was pre-rendered.

At least with the Ultra 64 / N64 demos around the same time, most of them were real-time, just running on SGI Onyx / RealityEngine systems, which cost $100K-200K.
I don't think even those systems could produce the M2 Car and FPS demos on the fly.