• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Am thankful my local government is vocally opposed to the Israeli government so there is no fear in boycotting them.

But close American friends don't like criticism of it. People that are normally very informed and very vocal about discrimination and oppression just seem like they prefer to remain as ignorant as possible about Israeli-Palestinian relations.

I hope it's just my circle of friends and not indicitave of most Americans because the impact that international protest and boycott had in the overthrowing of the Apartheid government in my country cannot be overstated.

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way this is constitutional right?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lobbying sure is destroying this government, and our country with it.
I'd like to think the courts will have the sense to rip this shit up

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look, does it really matter if we are breaking every law if the Book of Revelations will be happening soon?

...I'd say I was joking but I'm like 60% positive that this is one of the reasons why America keeps doing this.

Oct 27, 2017
Tackling the tough issues first, I see. I guess they had to pay off the lobbies that put them into office first. To hell with hundreds of thousands of government employees not getting a check.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
There is some level of logic that can go into this. Sort of a "if you are a US govt contractor, in order to perform your contract, you might have to interact with Israel/businesses, so you can't boycott". But beyond that, it seems clearly unconstitutional.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's because for Christians, Israel is necessary for the second coming of Christ, isn't the majority of the US religious?

Nah not really. I mean certain wingnuts love that this dovetails, but really it's about America using Israel as a kind of regional dwarf superpower to keep the other middle eastern nations "in line". It is strategic primarily. the religious stuff is just icing on their cake of death.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Thus far, the two federal courts that have ruled on such bills have declared them to be unconstitutional violations of the First Amendment speech rights of American citizens."

Then why do these laws still exist?

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Man what the heck... Really what in the world is this? How .. w.. this is kind of breaking my brain. Does Israel have a peepee tape of America?

I am always amazed at how much the US bends over backwards for Israel. To the point that they are willing to violate Americans first amendment rights for them.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Technically they hate Jews but love Israel (the creation and existence thereof) as it is a precursor to the second coming of Christ who will then destroy all the unbelievers (including the Jews). Israel and the Jewish people are therefore, from their perspective a "necessary evil"

This is also why you should be suspicious when they claim that they're working for peace in Israel -- for them 'peace' may as well mean 'they're all dead, even our purported allies'. Israelis dying in acts of war are a feature, not a bug, to them. It surprises me that so many of them accept this, but this is one of the contradictions of highly militarized societies I have difficulty explaining outside of a deep-seated desire for cruelty.

FWIW the company I work for does not allow for support of boycotts as part of business operations (obviously they can't control what we do outside of this). In practice what this means is that operating contracts can't have language that appears to support the Arab League or other organizations that are active in doing BDS. This is the sort of stuff that these laws are intended to deal with, since obviously it is not a crime to not purchase a sodastream or sabra hummus; the contract language can actually be analyzed in court. Now, the actual ruling should be (and it sounds like so far has been) that this is pretty plainly unconstitutional, though, so I don't see why they'd even bother.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah I've heard of that bonkers reason before. So basically American Christians want the end of the world to happen. Fucking fanatics!
Yup. My parents, for example, once outgoing, industrious people, became "born-again" Evangelical nutjobs in their mid-30s. Since then, they've just been waiting to die, holing themselves up in their house, terrified to leave it, praying for Jesus to come and take them away.

Edit to add that they're also HUGE Israel supporters, naturally.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I can't believe so many people in the GOP are trying to paint resistance to this as anti-semitism.

Oh, no wait...I can. I totally can.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing how America is so submissive when it comes to that genocide state.

"America first" my ass. The US continues to be Israel's bitch.

Oct 31, 2017
Its amazing how Israel will bring both parties together.
Can't touch the Second Amendment, don't want to do anything about HealthCare or the current shutdown but when it comes to Isreal lets sit down and find a solution.

Glad the some Senators are waking up to this ridiculous legisation

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
The same way your employer would find out you are part of any other protest. For Air bnb, they removed listings in the occupied west bank as a protest and got into a legal shitstorm.

The language of the laws are designed to intimidate you into not protesting openly, by threatening you with unemployment or incarceration, or in the case of business, by cutting you off from state funds.
I'm honestly curious if this has anything to with the shitstorm that Kaiser Permanente is trying to stir up lately...

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
https://www.resetera.com/threads/se...nti-bds-law-in-lame-duck-session.85987/page-2

As some people noted here, this thing could easily be struck down if brought to the supreme court in all states.

Good on Sanders to not support this. If I recall he isn't for BDS but even anti- can't deny how chilling this is.

Sanders doesnt support BDS but that doesnt mean he isnt against pressuring Israel in other ways to get them to stop settlements. He's said that he'd consider stopping official government aid to israel as a precondition before

Its really sad and pathetic that we have to hold onto a single person to protect basic freedoms in America, regardless of what one feels about israel's tyranny

This is super basic shit, but we dont hear about it on the news media at all, CNN, MSNBC where you at. Shoulden't this be something your blaring out 247 as its an actual real bipartisan human rights violation?

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I still don't even know what the point of this is. But I also have no idea on the importance of Israel to the world either outside of some vague religious fuckery.
The US helped establish Israel as a Nation State in the late 1940s for displaced European Jews to migrate after WW2. This was done through the UN. it was taken from the Palestinians and given to the European Jews. Strong relationships have been maintained with Israel ever since, with little regard for the Palestinian people

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure most white supremacists hate Jews/Israel
Ehhh, we've seen beginnings of an unholy alliance between nazis/fascists and Israeli white supremacists. Israel has developed closer ties with both Italy and Hungary for instance.
They both get to support each other in their hatred for muslims/africans and the collaboration with Israel gives them "cover" against accusations of anti-semitism.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
1st amendment:

Hate speech must be protected at all costs and we should give a platform to Neo-Nazis to speak at universities.

Also, it's illegal to be critical of Israel's current administration.
They do, but they also love ethno-states. Seeing a state discriminate, marginalize, and dehumanize another group of people in an official capacity gets white supremacists rock hard. It's what they want for America. "White countries for white people" and all that nonsense.

Syntrophos

Nov 25, 2018
America won't let Israel be bashed because they need Israel as a proxy in the region. Of course you get all the religious fundie stuff about Israel, but the reason for the support is projecting American power. It's also totally fine to point out how Israel uses lobbies and pressure groups in the US to bring about support for them. We (UK) had an Israeli diplomat expelled after he was caught talking about trying to take down MPs that were seen as sympathetic towards Palestine. They often use organisations, like Labour Friends of Israel, to have independent groups with distant support from the embassy. All very dire stuff.

Syntrophos

Nov 25, 2018
you'd be shocked at the love for Israel and the hatred of Jews that they seem to carry. One represents a strong, discriminatory and militaristic state and the diaspora Jews are the evil, rootless cosmopolitans that want to undermine traditional values etc etc. The fact that the new wave of white nat hates Muslims more than Jews probably helps with the support of Israel.