• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

No Modding needed.
Just press left dpad + square + L1 + R1 for ten seconds, release then press start at the settings menu (PS Button)

Never heard of this and the last time I brought up PS2 Classics on PS3, there was talk about these versions running bad and no talk that you could actually fix them. So while it might be old news, I think making it more well known is a good thing. Why these settings are hidden is anyone's guess, but it's nice to know that thanks to the PS3 store remaining active a lot more classic titles are now purchasable and playable at good prices (Each game listed in the title is only $10) thanks to this. Devil summoner for example costs $90+ for a loose copy these days.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell! Thought this video was just about the other settings menu. wonder if it works with BC PS3s/ps1 physical copies?

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
nocturne had this same lag issue, i basically powered through it

coincidentally i was playing digital devil saga (the psn classics version) a few months ago on ps3 and it lagged nonstop

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
umm wtf... how was this not known sooner? Gonna have to try this out when I upgrade the hdd in my ps3 (bought a larger drive due to the threat of psn shutdown).

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
i cant seem to get this to work on persona 3 but that may be because i damaged my old ps3 controller trying to clean it

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The fact it took ten years for this to become public instead of just being a clear and obvious setting available from the onset is ridiculous. I wonder if something similar would work on PS4 and PS5, though.

Welkins

Apr 7, 2021
What the hell undiscovered for 10 years LMAO Regardless that's awesome, omg wheres my ps3

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
got it to work,

turns out for persona 3 fes on psn, its off by default, so not all ps2 classics are forcing vsync delay

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Oh, neat! I gotta try this on Virtua Fighter 4 Evo. The version on the PS3 store runs with very noticeable lag that ruins an otherwise perfect game.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
That is nuts, I had no idea this was a thing. Why would Sony not try to make this common knowledge? Especially since it's something accessible by anyone who knows?

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn, why would "Make the game run properly" be a toggle locked away in a hidden menu nobody knew about?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god.

Get Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, y'all. It's not too late.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Wait, wait, wait...

What exactly does this do? Because I play a ton of PS2 on my PS3, still.

There's probably more to it, but this, in particular, can fix the titles that have really bad lag. such as DDS, Nocturne, and Devil Summoner.
As said above, not all titles force the delay like Persona 3, but this is the only way to change the option.

Jan 4, 2021
Wait, wait, wait...

What exactly does this do? Because I play a ton of PS2 on my PS3, still.

vsync delay most likely means that the game is delaying frames from being displayed to make sure it matches the refresh rate of your monitor or a set target. This leads to your inputs feeling or being delayed as well. It's a big reason variable refresh rates were created. So turning it off means there is no longer an artificial delay to sync the ps3s output to your display and your inputs will feel much more responsive.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually wild this went that long undiscovered.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
Just did it with God Hand. it does work - God Hand does not have V-sync on BTW.

Side-tangent, but man, I forgot how ugly the PS2 Classic icons are - Poorly scanned box arts and a weird useless border/background to the left of it.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Neat. So does this help with any game on PSN besides Atlus? Guess more testing is needed

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
A buddy and I just tested this and his video is going live now, physical PS1 games do not have this menu however PS2 rips from multiman do, can't speak on physical ps2 or digital ps1.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Mind = blown. Can anyone tell if that menu works on the PS1 emulator as well? No lag over there, of course, but I'm genuinely curious on what sort of settings we could mess with.

Edit: See this quote.
A buddy and I just tested this and his video is going live now, physical PS1 games do not have this menu however PS2 rips from multiman do, can't speak on physical ps2 or digital ps1.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, I can't believe fixing the issues with these ports is as simple as turning off a single setting.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of the PS1 classic when people discovered plugging in a keyboard you could bring up the emulator settings and make the games run better

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
does this fix the Parappa and Patapon re-releases? That's all I want to know.

still very sour about them shitting all over those games by releasing completely broken versions.