• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Update:

Oddworld: Soulstorm to be featured as well.

Make sure you tune in tomorrow for Unity's keynote, worldwide live streaming starts around 5pm. Lorne and myself will be on stage showing off some cool footage from Soulstorm.

-----

Via Otherside's discord.

Good news for those of you interested in System Shock 3... Warren Spector and Elizabeth Legros will make an appearance during Unity's keynote on Monday to share news (and visuals) on Shock3:

Unity article:
https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/03/14/next-week-at-gdc-how-to-stream-the-keynote-and-where-to-go/

Our keynote kicks off the week on March 18, 5:00 pm PDT at Bespoke (846 Mission Street at the Century Theaters entrance). Some of Unity's brightest minds will take the stage to demonstrate how we're pushing tomorrow's innovations ahead today.

We don't want to spoil any surprises, but here's a sneak peek at what we have lined up for you. Unity CTO Joachim Ante will share our most recent work on improving performance and the Data-Oriented Tech Stack (DOTS). And Natasha Tatarchuk, VP of Graphics, will show how our latest innovations are empowering artists to create beautiful high-fidelity content in Unity. Along with some amazing demos to dive in to, you can expect brand new announcements from some of the industry's most storied franchises. We're excited for Lorne Lanning and Bennie Terry to join us to talk about Oddworld Soulstorm. And we can't wait to welcome to the stage Warren Spector and Elizabeth Legros of OtherSide Entertainment to talk about their upcoming game.

Where can you find the stream? Basically, everywhere! Set a reminder on your streaming platform of choice, whether that's YouTube, Twitch, Facebook Live, Mixer, or Twitter's Periscope. The livestream Keynote Pre-Show begins at 4:40 pm.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird how the remake of the first game was on Unity but moved off it for UE4, but this is still on Unity.

Different companies and all that, but it tells me the two games are gonna be quite different in look

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
didn't know system shock 3 is going to run on unity. don't have high hopes for the project anyway but this makes me even more worried. i mean even the system shock remake runs on unreal

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to finally seeing something from the game. I'm surprised that it's running on Unity, but hopefully this will be a demonstration of how much the engine has supposedly improved now.
Not looking forward to the inevitable year of exclusivity. That's going to be difficult.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to finally seeing something from the game. I'm surprised that it's running on Unity, but hopefully this will be a demonstration of how much the engine has supposedly improved now.
Not looking forward to the inevitable year of exclusivity. That's going to be difficult.
If they are using the HDRP, ESC and new job system. Visuals and performance should look fantastic

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Had heard about Soulstorm but didnt really know anything about it.

Didn't realize it's basically a remake of Abe's Exodus. For some reason I thought it was the first fully new Oddworld since Stranger's Wrath.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Had heard about Soulstorm but saint really know anything about it.

Didn't realize it's basically a remake of Abe's Exodus. For some reason I thought it was the first fully new Oddworld since Stranger's Wrath.

It's a reimagining (or reboot) instead of a straight remake.They've even gone and rewritten most of the plot.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...al-of-abe-with-oddworld-creator-lorne-lanning

So we tested the waters with New 'n' Tasty, and the response was great. We polled the audience: What do you want to see next? And they replied with, "Do Abe's Exoddus!" I groaned, but then I looked at that: Exoddus was a game that we only had nine months on, a game I was never expecting to make. But I've looked at that game, for the next one, for Soulstorm – I've looked at what the old story was, and rewritten the whole thing. The drink, Soulstorm Brew, is still at the center of things, but that's where the similarities end.

What we really want to do with Soulstorm is make it devious, highly volatile. And also, we're working with these ideas: In the first game, it's about Abe awaking from being a slave. He's the catalyst for more following his lead—they all realize they're not employees, they're slaves. No allegories to our world there, of course.

And in the next one, the original intent for part two was that the slaves wake up to the fact they're also slaves to their own habits, and addictions. So that's where this Brew, this drink, comes in—it's enslaving people around the world.

But Brew is sticky, and highly flammable. A long time ago, we designed mechanics for liquid fire, like napalm, but with the ability to splash surfaces and coat things, and then ignite it. We've got that going now. And what falls out of that is actually extreme comedy.

People were asking: is the next game going to be darker? And it is, because Abe's going through a heavier trip, and realizing it's not all fun and games, and realizing the scope of his task. He never signed up for this, to save the world; he just sort of stumbled into it. So we're getting more into what I wanted Abe's Exoddus to originally be. It's an all-new game; a reboot, I suppose, rather than a remake. But it definitely still has that Oddworld humor, it's honestly more hilarious than it ever was.

We have to get the game out in 2017. I suffer every time I provide a specific date, because people will take that as gospel, that it will be out then—when what we mean is we'd like to have it out by then. But, we feel it has to be in 2017, and so I'm on this night and day, until it delivers, and that's just how it is.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, Unity wasn't going to let Epic show them up.

it's their version of the Porsche raytracing demo

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
lol, Unity wasn't going to let Epic show them up.

it's their version of the Porsche raytracing demo

On the note of comparison with Epic I was a bit surprised to hear Riccitello double down on Unity not wanting to make games. Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought an EDGE article talked about Unity wanting to make more stuff in-house to drive their tech. Maybe it was mentioned all that stuff will stay internal and just be used as examples for devs.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the note of comparison with Epic I was a bit surprised to hear Riccitello double down on Unity not wanting to make games. Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought an EDGE article talked about Unity wanting to make more stuff in-house to drive their tech. Maybe it was mentioned all that stuff will stay internal and just be used as examples for devs.
tech demos like The Heretic they just shown is probably what they're doing to accomplish that. with many non-gaming industries looking into real-time rendering, it would be important for Unity to stay up on that, lest they lose ground to Unreal Engine. games will inherently benefit from that, even if consumer hardware will take some time to catch up

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
tech demos like The Heretic they just shown is probably what they're doing to accomplish that. with many non-gaming industries looking into real-time rendering, it would be important for Unity to stay up on that, lest they lose ground to Unreal Engine. games will inherently benefit from that, even if consumer hardware will take some time to catch up

Just dug up the issue and, yeah, I was just mistaken. Unity is working on demo-style games and not full releases.