• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why did they work with forwardworks instead of Aniplex? Both of which are sony companies, and one of which has the popular game FGO.

Because Forward Works is cheaper to work with vs Aniplex..... who had zero reason to work with Nis when they had their own Ip to work with?

I'm pretty sure the Sony thing is just an excuse. Fact of the matter is they put out too much, too fast, and none of it sold.

Nah. Based on their financial they at least still able to work on those slims profit there. It is the mobage failure that killed them totally there.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Actually. I think some Chinese company can just come and save NIS i guess? There is no need for jp company here.

We see with Tri ace, SnK. And probably Nis this time?

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have to imagine it is more expensive to churn out 10s of games per year. Even if they purchase assets instead of making them from scratch, that costs money that they don't have.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Sad news. I really hope they pull through. Been a fan since Disgaea 2. Their output for a company their size is insane though, and a big failure in the mobile market can spell doom pretty easily.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's more news here on ANN:

Nippon Ichi Software announced on Friday that it will issue stock warrants through a third party allotment, issuing 3,750 warrants for an issue price of 837 yen each (for 3,138,750 yen in total) in order to aim to raise funds equivalent to 573,638,750 yen (about US$5.20 million).

This type of MS ("moving strike") warrant is often used by companies to raise funds due to being unable to borrow from banks or investors due to already being in deficit. While the sale of stocks at cheaper prices generates funds quickly, existing investors lose out due to dilution of their own stocks, leading to investors losing trust in the company.

If Nippon Ichi Software raises the required 573,638,750 yen, it noted that it will use 369,638,750 yen (about US$3.35 million) for paying its employees, 170,000,000 yen (about US$1.54 million) for paying for partial outsourcing of development, and 34,000,000 yen (about US$308,500) for investing in development. These payments will be implemented in June and will be used through June 2021.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...-stocks-at-lower-price-to-raise-funds/.146902

Why did they work with forwardworks instead of Aniplex? Both of which are sony companies, and one of which has the popular game FGO.
Because Forward Works is cheaper to work with vs Aniplex..... who had zero reason to work with Nis when they had their own Ip to work with?

Nah. Based on their financial they at least still able to work on those slims profit there. It is the mobage failure that killed them totally there.

Aniplex isn't a developer but a publisher/operator of their mobile titles. The developers are other companies contracted by them, unlike Forwardworks

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have to imagine it is more expensive to churn out 10s of games per year. Even if they purchase assets instead of making them from scratch, that costs money that they don't have.

If only they like cut those 10 games into 5 games but focus on making them more successful, they would not be in such bad position.

Sad news. I really hope they pull through. Been a fan since Disgaea 2. Their output for a company their size is insane though, and a big failure in the mobile market can spell doom pretty easily.

Now, compile heart future is going to be scary as heck too lol. As they also partner with the hand of bomba Forward Works atm for mobage.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mobile hasn't been the land of milk and honey for a while now, in many regards it's even more competitive than the traditional market. NIS must have been extremely optimistic for this to backfire so hard.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mobile hasn't been the land of milk and honey for a while now, in many regards it's even more competitive than the traditional market. NIS must have been extremely optimistic for this to backfire so hard.

NIS must never check FW track record first lol.

And indeed, mobage market have been so crowded nowadays. Especially with how China and South Korea is also entering mobage market hard.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
at this point, disgaea 6 should be out on ps5.
Wouldn't that doom the game in Japan since it took them forever to jump on board with the PS4? On top of that I don't see how people would be more likely to buy Disgaea 6 in the west on PS5 than on PS4 and Switch. T

It really sucks to hear people dunking on NIS's smaller titles in this thread. I'm really glad NIS started to branch out more instead of recycling Disgaea style games over and over again.

I agree with people saying they should cut their output down. The only game from NIS I'm at all excited for is Destiny Connect right now. I hope it sells enough in the west to justify making a better sequel.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
It was on track to be a huge success so they'd be dumb to not pour whatever was needed to strengthen the launch content.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't that doom the game in Japan since it took them forever to jump on board with the PS4? On top of that I don't see how people would be more likely to buy Disgaea 6 in the west on PS5 than on PS4 and Switch. T

It really sucks to hear people dunking on NIS's smaller titles in this thread. I'm really glad NIS started to branch out more instead of recycling Disgaea style games over and over again.

I agree with people saying they should cut their output down. The only game from NIS I'm at all excited for is Destiny Connect right now. I hope it sells enough in the west to justify making a better sequel.

I dont think many hated NIS small game effort there. It just need to be more focused. Like maybe from 16 games a year, probably make it like 8 games a year? With more budget for marketing and increasing the scope of those games. I feel thats a much better thing to do.

I thought Nepro (who bought tri-Ace) was a Japanese company? They also own Game Studio.

I probably remember wrongly than kek. TT

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
This explains why SNK store (powered by NIS) is closing in a few days, or closed already. Either of those, I thought it was due to SNK, but it seems it was NIS the one in hot water. This sucks =/

I think it's already gone? The links just all redirect back to the new NISA main storefront. Was always weird to have it as a separate thing, when they always carried the titles in the main store, anyways. Only 2 SNK titles came out of it, so I guess I can assume that we shouldn't expect to see some sort of Samurai Shodown LE release on there?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

Gonna assume their release of Makai Wars gave them enough hope that a Disgaea game would get them good money. I may be mistaken but unlike Makai Wars, which was largely developed externally, NIS was much more involved with this project. They were in trouble the moment they lost a third of their stock due to the delay caused by the questionable launch.

Fair to say that this turmoil has likely put Disgaea 6 and Labyrinth of Galleria in dire situations as far as NIS traditional projects go, I guess.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To some extent sure, like said earlier this might be just the straw that broke the camel's back but as DarkDetective pointed out, they have still managing to make a (meagre) profit right up until this year.

Someone earlier also mentioned that a supposed leaker on 4chan had described the project was a giant moneysink before this. It would be interesting to see the source on that.
Sure, but a mobile spin-off rpg just doesn't kill your company overnight.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but a mobile spin-off rpg just doesn't kill your company overnight.

They depended very heavily on the stock market in Japan due to how small they are. The botched launch of this game, larger audience than anticipated, and delay as a result of trying to get it all in order shaved a third of their value on the stock market. For a company like NIS, you can think of it as if it would be like every game they released in one year all underperformed harshly. For NIS, this issue is as if they made a AAA game that bombed; staff and studio shaving becomes a real target of conversation.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's already gone? The links just all redirect back to the new NISA main storefront. Was always weird to have it as a separate thing, when they always carried the titles in the main store, anyways. Only 2 SNK titles came out of it, so I guess I can assume that we shouldn't expect to see some sort of Samurai Shodown LE release on there?
Yeah, it seems like the SNK & NISA deal fell apart super fast. Samurai Shodown and the SS Collection are being published by Athlon Games in the west, who are owned by the same parent company as SNK. Digital Eclipse is self publishing the Xbox port of the SNK Anniversary Collection too.

That seems like a big missed opportunity for NISA given SNK Heroines apparently did pretty well for them.

Oct 27, 2017
NIS has had it rough for most of the time since the the PS2 ended, with blips of success. The PS3 era wasn't great for Japanese sales especially at the beginning and when the PSP wound down the Vita did not really replace it by any means, but the titles kept flowing that way and NIS were prolific to say the least during the last decade.

I thought NIS's lineup on the PSP was amazing. But then the Vita happened and all they did was make visual novels and these indie releases which I respect them for, but never found any to be interesting.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I thought NIS's lineup on the PSP was amazing. But then the Vita happened and all they did was make visual novels and these indie releases which I respect them for, but never found any to be interesting.
They didn't even bother localizing any of the Visual Novels, or some of the other Vita exclusives like Great Edo Blacksmith (which I wanted to play). I'm surprised the Japanese branch didn't make them prioritize the in-house games for localization.

Oct 27, 2017
They didn't even bother localizing any of the Visual Novels, or some of the other Vita exclusives like Great Edo Blacksmith (which I wanted to play). I'm surprised the Japanese branch didn't make them prioritize the in-house games for localization.

I was surprised by that too, especially with the ever growing popularity of visual novels at the time. But that's the Vita for you, a bunch of companies being too late to do anything, so they didn't do anything at all.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it seems like the SNK & NISA deal fell apart super fast. Samurai Shodown and the SS Collection are being published by Athlon Games in the west, who are owned by the same parent company as SNK. Digital Eclipse is self publishing the Xbox port of the SNK Anniversary Collection too.

That seems like a big missed opportunity for NISA given SNK Heroines apparently did pretty well for them.

I was hoping that NISA's store would foot an LE at leaat, like they do for Natsume, K-T, etc., at least.
Surprised SNK Heroines did good though, felt like something that wouldn't do as well.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Ain't much, but here's a statement from NisaTravis from their discord

nisab1jyf.png

May 13, 2019
Refresh my memory but didn't NISA claim that the case of Disgaea 5 not selling spelt a lot of trouble for the company? I recall the doom-and-gloom being brushed aside because it's what NISA said everytime time a new Disgaea game was released.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was on track to be a huge success so they'd be dumb to not pour whatever was needed to strengthen the launch content.

Throwing money at a project to the point where it potentially tanks your entire business doesn't strike me as particularly prudent, however. Someone fucked up the risk and reward analysis on this project.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I was really saddened by the fact that they skipped over localizing "Hero Must Die". I did buy it and I actually need to finish it (my backlog is REALLY bad), but I kinda feel for people, since these games can be a bit of a barrier if you don't know any Japanese.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Probably because they wouldn't make a lot of money on them when they could try other properties with more potential. NISA clearly has been better than NIS at reading the market.

Ain't much, but here's a statement from NisaTravis from their discord

nisab1jyf.png
Pretty much what I would expect when we know NISA actually makes the company money. Also from the siliconera article the situation is bad but not really "we close tomorrow" bad.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
For a "Japan First" (Nippon Ichi) company, this is just not sustainable.

System Title FW LTD
PS4 Lapis x Labyrinth 4.003 4.003
SWI Lapis x Labyrinth 3.725 3.725
SWI Yomawari: The Long 2.968 2.968
PS4 Disgaea 1 Complete 4.305 4.305
SWI Disgaea 1 Complete 2.943 2.943
PS4 Closed Nightmare 1.698 1.698
PS4 Liar Princess and 4.965 6.379
SWI Liar Princess and 5.346 5.346
PSV Liar Princess and 3.040 3.040
PS4 The Silver Case 2.195 2.195
SWI Anata no Shikihime 2.864 2.864
PSV Anata no Shikihime 2.027 2.027
PS4 Coven and Labyrint 5.075 5.075
PSV Iwaihime: Matsuri 2.006 2.006
PS4 Yomawari: Midnight 9.492 17.120
PSV Yomawari: Midnight 8.678 11.496
PS4 Hakoniwa Company W 3.891 3.891
PSV Tsuihou Senkyo 3.712 3.712
PS4 Anata no Shikihime 2.990 2.990
SWI Disgaea 5 Complete 5.065 5.065
PS4 The Witch and the 15.709 27.673

Sorry for the cut off names. Data from Game Data Library.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
For a "Japan First" (Nippon Ichi) company, this is just not sustainable.

System Title FW LTD
PS4 Lapis x Labyrinth 4.003 4.003
SWI Lapis x Labyrinth 3.725 3.725
SWI Yomawari: The Long 2.968 2.968
PS4 Disgaea 1 Complete 4.305 4.305
SWI Disgaea 1 Complete 2.943 2.943
PS4 Closed Nightmare 1.698 1.698
PS4 Liar Princess and 4.965 6.379
SWI Liar Princess and 5.346 5.346
PSV Liar Princess and 3.040 3.040
PS4 The Silver Case 2.195 2.195
SWI Anata no Shikihime 2.864 2.864
PSV Anata no Shikihime 2.027 2.027
PS4 Coven and Labyrint 5.075 5.075
PSV Iwaihime: Matsuri 2.006 2.006
PS4 Yomawari: Midnight 9.492 17.120
PSV Yomawari: Midnight 8.678 11.496
PS4 Hakoniwa Company W 3.891 3.891
PSV Tsuihou Senkyo 3.712 3.712
PS4 Anata no Shikihime 2.990 2.990
SWI Disgaea 5 Complete 5.065 5.065
PS4 The Witch and the 15.709 27.673

Sorry for the cut off names. Data from Game Data Library.

Super bad numbers for a Japanese audience... Did some of those just not sell just their first week? At least, not enough to really count?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Throwing money at a project to the point where it potentially tanks your entire business doesn't strike me as particularly prudent, however. Someone fucked up the risk and reward analysis on this project.

Keep in mind that when the project was signed it was a collaboration with the new mobile division of the company absolutely dominating the console industry. It probably seemed like a safe bet, and then Forwardworks happened.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Keep in mind that when the project was signed it was a collaboration with the new mobile division of the company absolutely dominating the console industry. It probably seemed like a safe bet, and then Forwardworks happened.

True, I guess this is gonna be used as a prime example for sunk cost fallacy in the gaming space.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico

The reason why the collaboration and big bets likely happened has to do with the high success of FGO considering that Forwardworks was born as a result of the high revenue that Delightworks managed to bring. I still remember the japanese launch of the game, the game was basically on maintenance all the time, bad performance on the phones, lack of content, among other things that made it a shitshow but somehow it managed to survive given the strength of the IP.

Overall it seems that their mobile teams depend on popular multimedia licensed IPs like Fate and Madoka being the notable hits. Their original projects have basically went nowhere and with the IP that they own like Minna no Golf don't do much and games created with legacy IP like Wild Arms is pretty much dead.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The reason why the collaboration and big bets likely happened has to do with the high success of FGO considering that Forwardworks was born as a result of the high revenue that Delightworks managed to bring. I still remember the japanese launch of the game, the game was basically on maintenance all the time, bad performance on the phones, lack of content, among other things that made it a shitshow but somehow it managed to survive given the strength of the IP.

Overall it seems that their mobile teams depend on popular multimedia licensed IPs like Fate and Madoka being the notable hits. Their original projects have basically went nowhere and with the IP that they own like Minna no Golf don't do much and games created with legacy IP like Wild Arms is pretty much dead.

Maybe I had it wrong but the pitch I saw for Forwardworks was entirely related to the death of the Vita and Sony's position in Japan. I imagine the plan was to supplant Vita with Mobile and have Forwardworks be the intermediary for third parties to maintain that nice cut. In the meantime convincing them to go all in on PS4 when it comes to console development.

True, I guess this is gonna be used as a prime example for sunk cost fallacy in the gaming space.

I doubt you'll see anyone jumping to work with Forwardworks now.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I like the Disgaea games so hoping they do fine. Is it possible for NIS to be acquired by a bigger publisher?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Forwardworks =/= Aniplex

Completely different groups under completely different divisions with different aims and approaches. Forwardworks is very much SIE Japan Studio trying to leverage mobile as a replacement for their defunct handheld line.

jrpl

Nov 20, 2017
https://wccftech.com/nis-staff-affected-by-layoffs/

However, all is still not right and staff are affected, including in the subsidiary Nippon Ichi Software America (NISA). A source, who will remain anonymous, has told Wccftech that layoffs have occurred at NISA, indicating that the subsidiary is also at risk and scaling back. As a result of the sources anonymity I cannot state this as a fact and would ask that you take this as a rumour. I haves reached out to NISA directly in at attempt to confirm these statements.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017

However, all is still not right and staff are affected, including in the subsidiary Nippon Ichi Software America (NISA). A source, who will remain anonymous, has told Wccftech that layoffs have occurred at NISA, indicating that the subsidiary is also at risk and scaling back. As a result of the sources anonymity I cannot state this as a fact and would ask that you take this as a rumour. I haves reached out to NISA directly in at attempt to confirm these statements.

Oh dear :(

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Given the circumstances, this is unsurprising if true. Even though NISA is the biggest moneymaker for NIS, their income won't necessarily protect them from being scaled back.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Hope all goes well for the company and it's employees.

Though, if they do get bought out, I hope it is a really good company that lets them keep their creative freedom.