• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Anytime I see family/friends enlist in the United States military, my brain is always rattled. Like, why?! I would rather clean high school bathrooms with my tongue than to enlist. Serving in drummed up wars, losing your sanity, and being treated as a joke upon return? Props to people who have served but it is something I would never consider.
My impression was that most of the military doesn't actually end up in shooting roles.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Disgusting. Glad I cancelled my sub. Wwe should be banned here, and honestly any kind of pro US military commenting should be gone aswell.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Disgusting. Glad I cancelled my sub. Wwe should be banned here, and honestly any kind of pro US military commenting should be gone aswell.

The mods raise a good point that if they banned threads being created about awful people, companies, or places on the internet that do vile things, then news like this would get swept under the rug instead of the members of this site being made aware about their atrocities.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I haven't really been into wrestling for a few years, and occasionally think about picking it back up. But I will never support the WWE again. Vince continues to show new lows. What a horrid person. Poor Ashely, this horrific.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
To address messages we have received: We will not be implementing a blanket ban on all WWE threads, as that might inadvertently sweep this under the rug. However, we will have zero tolerance for any kind of excusal or downplaying of what happened here. This subject will be fair game in all WWE threads going forward. Any bans issued for violating this policy will not be short.

I think the problem here is not (and will never be) "downplaying" this. I mean, who in their sane mind here could downplay rape?

The problem is giving more exposure to the product WWE here on ERA after all the things (not only Ashley's rape, but also ALL the other things we know wwe had done in the past) that happened.

Anyway, thank you moderation team for giving us an official answer and addresing this.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused as to what the logic is when admins say that de-platforming WWE on this site "sweeps this under the rug".

Did the Collin Moriarty ban "sweep" the misogynistic and transphobic comments he made under the rug?

OP
OP
RedMercury

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm confused as to what the logic is when admins say that de-platforming WWE on this site "sweeps this under the rug".

Did the Collin Moriarty ban "sweep" the misogynistic and transphobic comments he made under the rug?
I think it's a hard decision to make. For a lot of people, WWE is synonymous with wrestling, there are people that have grown up with it, it's all they have watched or followed for years, it's their main hobby, for some people it's almost a lifestyle. At the same time, they continue to engage in heinous things. It's important to provide people a platform on this site, where content will be moderated accordingly within that context, to be able to bring that stuff to light to people who may not know this stuff as opposed to elsewhere where it may go unchallenged. The administrator stance represents a compromise where while it may be platformed it can also be challenged and advocacy can happen.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This is tragic, sad, and disgusting.

Anytime I see family/friends enlist in the United States military, my brain is always rattled. Like, why?! I would rather clean high school bathrooms with my tongue than to enlist. Serving in drummed up wars, losing your sanity, and being treated as a joke upon return? Props to people who have served but it is something I would never consider.

I had a few friends from High School join the military and they did so because they weren't really "ready" for college, didn't have a real financial/job security future lined up, and felt like they had to do something. FWIW, they're all well adjusted people today, even those who were in combat.

I think the military can seem like a good option for people who graduate from high school but don't really have something lined up, and so the .. "security" of having a regimented schedule and a plan is something a lot of people desire. Plus, there are good benefits of, generally, good health care, jobs lined up, college tuition, and other opportunities.

But, I agree with you that I wouldn't have been cut out for it.

Last edited:

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't know why no one in the more mainstream hasn't gone after Vince recently. I mean they may when he starts promoting the XFL but there is so much they can go after him and so much evidence to support. Not only him btw half the people in wrestling are scumbags. in front of the cameras and behind the scenes.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
This is tragic, sad, and disgusting.

I had a few friends from High School join the military and they did so because they weren't really "ready" for college, didn't have a real financial/job security future lined up, and felt like they had to do something. FWIW, they're all well adjusted people today, even those who were in combat.
Shit, that's like some of my friends. They didn't know what to do so they joined. They're ok today but that's most of the people I've seen join the army.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I honestly don't know why no one in the more mainstream hasn't gone after Vince recently. I mean they may when he starts promoting the XFL but there is so much they can go after him and so much evidence to support. Not only him btw half the people in wrestling are scumbags. in front of the cameras and behind the scenes.
John Oliver might have another crack

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

It's much harder to go after someone you enjoy watching than it is so some you don't.

Why do you think we condemn Weinstein who most of us outside of a few moviebuffs probably never heard about before #metoo, but no one here has a thing to say about Arnold Schwarzenegger's history of being accused of sexual assault?

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you don't see outlets like Cageside Seats tackle the topic you know they're scared of losing access. You would think their parent SB Nation and Vox Media would report on that kind of story without fear of losing said access.

When journalism - specifically in their wheelhouse is afraid to push, Vince will always win

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they haven't had multiple sources?

I don't think they'd need multiple sources as such, as the claims in the lawsuit are news worthy enough.

But... I wonder if the fact that its come from a lawsuit that was subsequently dropped makes it slightly more difficult for them to report about in the manner people are expecting.

(That's not to discount the claims, obviously)

I don't know, I don't know the legal side of it tbh.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Not surprised in the slightest but it's still very hard to read

This is what happens when the military aren't held accountable for anything and are glorified for their "service", look at the police

Just think of how many more we haven't heard about

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Will never support WWE ever again. Honestly this situation has me skeptical of the wrestlers that worked at WWE too. Surely they know some dark shit.

WWE response

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
WWE has responded it seems.

We reached out to WWE about the 2006 affidavit that included a claim by Ashley Massaro that she was sexually assaulted in 2006 while on tour in Kuwait. WWE issued the following response:

"WWE is saddened by the death of Ashley Massaro, and we reiterate our condolences to her family. However, we regret that her attorney Konstantine Kyros, who filed multiple cases against WWE, lost all of them, and was sanctioned multiple times by the Court for repeated misconduct and false allegations, is using Ashley's death to further his malicious campaign against WWE by releasing an affidavit that she submitted to the Court and later apologized to WWE for being involved with, so we wish to make certain things crystal clear.

1. At no time was Vince McMahon or the management of WWE ever informed by Ashley Massaro or anybody else that she had been sexually assaulted, drugged, raped or sodomized by a military doctor with a nurse standing guard while on a goodwill tour in 2007 to U.S. military bases in Kuwait. In fact, if she ever articulated such a claim to WWE, we would have reported it immediately to the Base Commander.

2. At no time was there ever a meeting with Vince McMahon, Kevin Dunn, John Laurinaitis or other company executives in which she told them of such a claim and was instructed to keep it quiet."

https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/w...ssault-claims-made-in-2016-by-ashley-massaro/

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
It's to Wrestlingnews.co too which they've used in the past to debunk things.

Unless Maria, Jimmy Hart, Laurenitis or Dunn come forward then this might get added to the list of things against WWE that end up falling to the wayside given that statement. We all know there's a plethora of things that you can get onto the company about but shit, it's like nothing ever happens. That Saudi shit was some government level stuff that didn't stop them.

In my life I've never seen so many things come out about a company/person (Vince) that they skate by like with WWE.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sadly even if the accusations are true, the WWE got the perfect scapegoat the second that Ashley sued them using that Lawyer.

I believe Ashley side mostly because what she told looked like something that the WWE would do

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly even if the accusations are true, the WWE got the perfect scapegoat the second that Ashley sued them using that Lawyer.
Yeah, already seeing a lot of people online say that the lawyer is lying now due to him being involved and Ashley's comments after that lawsuit.

We need a mod to update the title to "WWE responds."

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018
I am truly amazed that WWE is allowed to operate in it's current form we had wrestlers being treated like garbage many of them dying at a young age and forced to perform and then denied health insurance, and now we have this just terrible story with Ashley which involves members of the US military raping her.

Meanwhile Vince hauls in the cash what a shit world we live in.

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
I read it and I am completely disgusted. Fuck all those involved and I wish I or anyone could have helped her with her case. Anyone who can hush this type of thing down should go rot in Hell.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a hard decision to make. For a lot of people, WWE is synonymous with wrestling, there are people that have grown up with it, it's all they have watched or followed for years, it's their main hobby, for some people it's almost a lifestyle. At the same time, they continue to engage in heinous things. It's important to provide people a platform on this site, where content will be moderated accordingly within that context, to be able to bring that stuff to light to people who may not know this stuff as opposed to elsewhere where it may go unchallenged. The administrator stance represents a compromise where while it may be platformed it can also be challenged and advocacy can happen.
Brand New used to be my favourite band in the world, with multiple times more plays than any other artist. I had a deep emotional connection to this music as a teen and it was something that got me through dark places in my adolescence and young adulthood. When it came out that the lead singer Jesse Lacey had been alleged of sexual abuse, grooming underage girls those memories became tainted, the lyrics corrupted by now knowing they were from the mind of an abuser.

I stopped listening to them and haven't since. It was not a hard decision and I feel no regret or remorse for it. I think the world is a better place without Jesse Lacey being exposed to more vulnerable girls. This stuff has to be squashed, cannot be ignored and abusers need to be dragged then cut out. fuck the wwe. and if you're a wrestling fan surely you can find some other alternative not run by abusive shitbags.

If you think banned discussion is "Sweeping things under the rug" then leave this thread up and kill the rest. Everyone can see that this is a company that covers up the vile rape of their talent because it's bad optics. Can anyone really sit and gossip about Smackdown with a clear conscience after reading some shit like this?

Last edited:

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
Being a former military member, yeah military is fucking horrible when it come to abusing power and hushing people up.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Poor Ashley, on one hand WWE office and Vince made her life miserable while she worked there; on the other, the lawyer was just interested on making money from the case that he made her look bad. Fuck the army, fuck WWE and fuck corrupt lawyers.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Probably by that year, that lawyer didnt have that reputation. Poor Ashley. WWE doesnt give a single fuck.

So it is AAA and AEW (and probably NJPW) my dosis of wrestling now then.