• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I've never had Papa Johns, have only heard bad things. I'm also finding it difficult to process the idea of a political movement having an 'official pizza', tbh.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I like how y'all are only caring about the quality of their pizza.

I think the majority of people are already agreed on the quality of their ceo's political stance. So we're just all bashing on the pizza because it's just as bad although there are people who don't agree.

They changed the formula a while ago and it's awful now. So even that's no good.

Yup just like their pizza and the pepperoncini, the garlic butter used to be way better when PJ first started. I think they just dropped the quality of everything way down to increase profits and pay for more Peyton Manning.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to buy a lot of Papa Johns because of their 50% but no more this time. I'll happily pay more for Pizza.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's almost as if white supremacists flock to entities that express conservative sentiments.

I just hope all of those corporate entities go to great lengths to distance themselves from such rhetoric and condemns those terrorist organizations.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something has to be worth fighting for, after PJ's owner comments this week I for one can't see why I should support the brand. Plenty of non racist pizza out there

I think it makes 100% sense to boycott Papa John's because Papa John's is shitty, but I think its conceding defeat to boycott Papa Johns because a bunch of racists have "claimed" it as their jersey. All that accomplishes is legitimizing Nazis.

vider

Oct 27, 2017
Slovenia
The CEO does support the one in the white house so it's fitting.
Yep. Considering he's supporting Trump, it shouldn't come as a surprise that the alt-right likes Papa John's.

I'm not in the US, but if I was, I'd never order Papa John's even before John Schnatter came out as a Trump supporter. I just find him to be way too fucking creepy to eat his food (which, judging by every Papa John's thread on here, is shit anyway).

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think it makes 100% sense to boycott Papa John's because Papa John's is shitty, but I think its conceding defeat to boycott Papa Johns because a bunch of racists have "claimed" it as their jersey. All that accomplishes is legitimizing Nazis.
Defeat what? Over priced pizza

necrosis

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
easiest product to boycott of all time

i would rather eat the cardboard from the bottom of a digiorno than anything coming out of a papa john's kitchen

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Soggy cardboard at that...

Yep which wouldn't be so bad if they like little caesar's had the decency to be cheap. But they have hilarious prices most of the time.

Defeat what? Over priced pizza

Overpriced nasty pizza at that :P (and I seriously ate that junk for most of my college days. Gaaaarbage. Never again will I eat that. Don't know why my dumbass didn't just buy Domino's/Pizza Hut.)

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Racism is bad for business. I thought this would be obvious to even the most bigoted business owner.

Yokijirou

Oct 27, 2017

I guess we can picket outside all of the Papa Johns with #NotMyPizza and toss pineapple on all the pizzas coming out as another form of boycotting. Personally I like their pizza but won't be going there any more. As others have stated plenty of other non-racist pizza places abound. Plus the Free pizza with VISA Checkout thing didn't work this year so no more 3 dollar Papa Sized pizza for the fam.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the Pizza isn't really at all what I'm trying to discuss here.

Replace "Papa Johns" with anything.
When that happens then we can talk. Until then I for one am not here to save a man who shits on his employees and victims of police violence.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When that happens then we can talk. Until then I for one am not here to save a man who shits on his employees and victims of police violence.

This response seems a little dismissive of my actual point. Go for it, don't support that man who shits on his employees and victims of police violence. I'm all for that. But it seems incredibly reckless to let Nazis take whatever they want, regardless of whether or not that thing they wanted was shitty to begin with. Giving anything up to them because we're better than that thing is prideful at best, dangerous at worst. If we let them be associated with one of the largest food chains in the country, then... Now one of the largest food chains in the country is now a beacon for a group of Nazi shit stains.

I feel as though many people here are casually showing just how cool they are and how they have the moral highground because it's #nbd for them if Nazis claim some pizza chain, but not really thinking about how that might impact the growth or influence of those extremist groups, and that deeply disturbs me.

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Racism is bad for business. I thought this would be obvious to even the most bigoted business owner.
But it's draped in the flag, so he was weighing minorities who eat pizza with patriots who want to stick it to minorities by buying multiple pizzas, multiple times.

He might have made the wrong decision as at right boycotts don't seem to ever work.

UltraGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
"Better genetics, Better people. Papa Ethnostate"

It's hilarious how all these chuds are so desperate for validation that they'll rally behind literal garbage served on crust because the ceo is also an asshole like them.

Deleted member 5260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This response seems a little dismissive of my actual point. Go for it, don't support that man who shits on his employees and victims of police violence. I'm all for that. But it seems incredibly reckless to let Nazis take whatever they want, regardless of whether or not that thing they wanted was shitty to begin with. Giving anything up to them because we're better than that thing is prideful at best, dangerous at worst. If we let them be associated with one of the largest food chains in the country, then... Now one of the largest food chains in the country is now a beacon for a group of Nazi shit stains.

I feel as though many people here are casually showing just how cool they are and how they have the moral highground because it's #nbd for them if Nazis claim some pizza chain, but not really thinking about how that might impact the growth or influence of those extremist groups, and that deeply disturbs me.

It's not like Nazis came out and said "Nintendo is now the official game company of Nazis."

This is a shitty company with a stupid owner who rolled out the red carpet for these cry baby conservative Nazis. They deserve each other.

When they try to claim something worth a shit, then we'll talk.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Lol! Fitting. Papa Johns is terrible, and to steal a joke from a friend, named after a toilet, so what did you really expect?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Seems like you're missing the comments from the owner that caused both of these things.

People are boycotting because of comments by the owner. The alt-right are buying stuff from papa johns because of the owner. I don't give a fuck what the alt-right does with Papa Johns pizza because the owner dude already convinced me not to support the business.

Also, I don't understand what people mean by "letting the alt right." Are we supposed to give a damn about papa johns after what the owner said? Both sides (heh) are voting with their wallet. We'll see which causes a dent in the bottom line.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

Ok then what do we do?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok then what do we do?

I think less "I'm okay with this", "Good" or "They can have it" knee jerk reactions might be a good start?

Nazis have become more prevalent in our modern day for a multitude of reasons, one them I believe is because they were consolidated to the "Not a problem" folder for so long now.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I think less "I'm okay with this", "Good" or "They can have it" knee jerk reactions might be a good start?

Nazis have become more prevalent in our modern day for a multitude of reasons, one them I believe is because they were consolidated to the "Not a problem" folder for so long now.
So you were just tone policing. Got you

and what universe where no one is concerned about Nazis and white supremacy?

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon

I think you're overthinking this. The Nazis are "claiming" Papa John's because of their founder being a bigoted idiot who says things that align with their beliefs. Now what their founder said was plenty enough for most of us to say fuck Papa John's, but this is going to chase any fence-sitters who don't want to be associated with NeoNazis away from the franchise as well. Maybe it will lead their founder to reconsider his positions (probably not, but hope springs eternal), or marginalize the business, which is good. Shitty person and he deserves to fail.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you were just tone policing. Got you

and what universe where no one is concerned about Nazis and white supremacy?

Thanks for the condescending response.

I'm just saying that I believe this could potentially be a bigger deal than people here are thinking.

I also never said that no one is concerned about Nazis or white supremacy. In the mid-2000's in the US, I have spoken to so many people that didn't consider racism a problem. Or that magically somehow "Racism was over".
We relegated Nazis to a caricature, a myth. Why do you think everyone is so surprised and appalled at the recent uptick in Nazi activism? Somehow now Nazi-ism has been normalized. Nazis now apparently have the ability to be "nice people". We haven't been taking it seriously until relatively recently. No we know why we have to.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

I'm just saying that I believe this could potentially be a bigger deal than people here are thinking.

I also never said that no one is concerned about Nazis or white supremacy. In the mid-2000's in the US, I have spoken to so many people that didn't consider racism a problem. Or that magically somehow "Racism was over".
We relegated Nazis to a caricature, a myth. Why do you think everyone is so surprised and appalled at the recent uptick in Nazi activism? Somehow now Nazi-ism has been normalized. Nazis now apparently have the ability to be "nice people". We haven't been taking it seriously until relatively recently. No we know why we have to.
You come out "tut tuting" but don't offer no solutions, and you cast aside why people are feeling this way. That that is the essence of tone policing. Why should people champion a man who would shit on them? His views align with nazis, the nazis aren't trying to co opt the Red Cross or the Humane society for a reason.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Well, speak openly in a way that seems to align yourself with racists, get the support of racists.

Just remember what happened with Chik Fil 'A though. Their leadership was outed as, and admitted to, funding bigotry, and a bunch of people swarmed their business in support. The US in the modern era, sadly.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You come out "tut tuting" but don't offer no solutions, and you cast aside why people are feeling this way. That that is the essence of tone policing.

I'm well aware why people feel the way that they do, I'm just asking those people to perhaps consider, outside of their emotions, what this might mean or lead to in the bigger picture. I'm not claiming that I know everything, I'm just afraid of this thread becoming an echo chamber with nothing but hot takes. I'm not saying "Listen to both sides, guys". I'm not defending Papa John's. I'm just saying that examining this situation with perhaps a little more scrutiny might be worth looking into.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017

Just so we're clear the Nazis haven't really "taken" anything. They can literally say they "claimed" everything and anything, there's no way to stop that. None of us care about that.

When they've taken something in a way that prevents people from accessing said thing then we'll talk. For example let's say they claimed public transit and prevented all minorites from using it by blockading the access points then that's something to act on.

We're all not buying Papa John's because we don't want to support the dumbass CEO and secondarily because the pizza tastes horrible.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think you realize how boycotting works. The point is to get whatever business they support to condemn them.

Make everyone they think is their ally, publicly reject their beliefs.