• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
The controlling stake in South Korea's biggest game company Nexon may end up in the hands of Walt Disney Co., a report suggested Wednesday.

The anticipated price for the stake to go on sale is 15 trillion won ($13.2 billion), with premiums for business management rights on top of the Nexon Japan share price, which closed up slightly at 1,681 yen ($15) Tuesday, but slid to 1,558 yen as of 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The Korean daily JoongAng Ilbo quoted the international banking industry as saying that NXC Chairman Kim Jung-ju personally approached a high-ranking Disney representative to discuss acquisition matters.

Source: http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190417000561

Hot damn, Disney is about to own almost everything. This is going to be extremely huge for the Korean gaming market since Disney is extremely popular there.

Lock if old

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

a mouse shouldn't be this powerful

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
They are also in talks with Tencent, afaik talks are still ongoing.
For the amount they are asking and the juggernaut they are, this isn't too surprising. EA and Amazon were also interested originally but didn't place a bid officially in the end.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not very excited seeing how disney killed all its gaming arms. also not excited because nexons efforts to break into the western markets have been pretty bad so far (hellgate london, lawbreakers)

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
So, are Disney vacillating on whether they want to be in the games market again, or is this going to be largely an investment with Disney management being more hands off?

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a weird thing to do when their current attitude seems to be "We don't want to make games, so we're licensing everything out."

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Wait a second, I'm not a compa......oh, Nexon, not Neoxon. I'm good.

But yeah, I see Disney's trying to complete the Infinity Gauntlet, & I'm kinda concerned.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say no to a Maple Story movie.

Well, we did get an anime already, so it'd be an interesting thing for Disney to adapt as a movie project.

Anime Opening for those interested:

The series is really silly, but it does become a bit more serious as it goes on.

Anyways, as for the actual news... Honestly... As someone mentioned, it'd be either them or Tencent. This might actually be one area I kinda wish a smaller bigger publisher would step in (like Square Enix, Capcom, or something) rather than these two, but I suppose in terms of what Nexon would be asking, probably only these two could afford it. Still not happy about the idea of Disney owning another major corporation. Maybe licensing and co-producing stuff, sure, but outside of that...

Not much we can do as people here, though.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Disney MapleStory?

never knew that I would see the day.... funny with all the accessories the game allows you to wear/buy for your character like if they are in some themepark makes it fit right in

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Being under Disney worked well for all those other video game related jobs.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Surely they will improve Dungeon Fighter Online and the upcoming DFO3D while being megasuccessful without microtransactions. They're filthy rich so that makes them the right company for the job.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Nexon getting shut down in a couple of years when Disney decides games are a lost cause, again?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Disney's Iger famously said they were bad at making games.
Now they will own a company that make games with a high market share in the mobile space.

Given the other options are Tencent and EA, I'm not sure I feel bad about this. Maybe Final Fantasy XI Mobile will survive this transition given Disney's relationship with Square-Enix.

Deleted member 49574

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2018
Norway
Disney's Iger famously said they were bad at making games.
Now they will own a company that make games with a high market share in the mobile space.

Given the other options are Tencent and EA, I'm not sure I feel bad about this. Maybe Final Fantasy XI Mobile will survive this transition given Disney's relationship with Square-Enix.

FFXI Mobile is on the roadmap for release this year globally though it prob will get delayed

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems odd for Disney but I guess it might hold back Tencent who are probably a threat and kids, gaming you can't be caught on the broadside with that if there is an entertainment shift and ecosystem wars, Disney wants your eyeballs leading into their stuff not Tencent and others.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Tencent, Kakao and Netmarble wants to buy them also but the chairman and majority owner (98%) likes Disney

Yeah, I can see the dude selling to Disney out of pure "I don't even care anymore", even though selling to anyone but Tencent would be crazy. Nexon makes most of their money in China. By a lot.