• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Data mining is always a reliable source of information for Elder Scrolls Online and today files revealed the next setting is Elsweyr as previously hinted. Coming with the new setting is a new class the highly requested Necromancer as well as new (old) enemies dragons.

"Venture to the land of the Khajiit in The Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr, our newest chapter, an epic story in an all-new zone. Face dread creatures from the past—Dragons!—and discover the dark skills of a new character class, the Necromancer, as you join with new friends and old enemies to save Elsweyr from war and devastation.

ESO reaches new heights of storytelling with a war against the Dragons that unfolds and builds over four quarterly releases to an unexpected climax."

dragon.png

W9QHku6.png

Source: https://elderscrolls.net/2019/01/06/30234-eso-elsweyr-izobrazheniya-i-podrobnosti/

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Necromancers and dragons and kitty-cats. Lore be damned, this sounds like a ton o' fun!

I think this will be ESO's WoTLK moment (population and revenue).

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Man, I really wish I could get into TESO, or MMO's in general. I just can't get past the gameplay and weird respawning elements. Or seeing others in my game world. Elsweyr has been #1 on my list TES places to see for a long time. Dragons and necromancers is not how I would have envisioned it, lol.

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really wish I could get into TESO, or MMO's in general. I just can't get past the gameplay and weird respawning elements. Or seeing others in my game world. Elsweyr has been #1 on my list TES places to see for a long time. Dragons and necromancers is not how I would have envisioned it, lol.

Yeah it's a strange combination definitely, especially the presence of dragons which seems lore breaking, could be there's only one dragon and it's in a trial. Necromancers ore everywhere in TES, but their inclusion here was obviously due to it being highly requested. Next most requested class is a Bard which could fit in well.
Looks awesome! As a ESO noob, how do you pronounce Elsweyr? "Elsewhere"? "Elsewire"? "Else veer"?
It's pronounced "Elsewhere".

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Might come back for this as Necromancer sounds cool. Curious how it will heal.

I hardly ever touch the PVE content though. Whenever I play ESO I almost solely play Cyrodiil.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Everything is possible with the mythic power of the Dragon Break.

Bethesda doesn't respect the lore of their own games

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I really want to get back into ESO but all these expansions I've missed out on, and all the games I want to play as well, it's hard getting back in.

Wish I could just stop time to catch up on everything lol

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
200.gif

Is it too late to start playing this? I feel like it's on its way out similar to FFXIV.

With TES VI still YEARS away I don't think ESO is shutting down anytime soon. Even when TES VI releases I still think ESO will be up and running so it's definitly not too late to start playing this.

Just be aware at this point the game has thousands of hours worth of content, so if large games with lots of stuff to do gives you anxiety you might want to stay away. lol

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've bought 4 versions of ESO (vanilla, gold, morrowind, summerset) on the PS4 already and my highest character is only like level 28? Really enjoy the game but I haven't played it anywhere near enough. My biggest gripe is the lag playing from Australia. I kinda wish there was an oceanic server but at the same time I know it probably wouldn't have the population to sustain it.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
The Khajiit are secretly one of the best sidekick races in all of fantasy gaming; fantastic one-liners that play off the natural selfishness and unbridled curiosity of cats. And necromancy could be darkly fun.

This could be great.

Is it too late to start playing this? I feel like it's on its way out similar to FFXIV.
Absolutely not. The full version of Summerset (which includes the base game) contains some of the best storytelling in the title. And the game is very easy to get into for solo players as a place to start. On PC, its $11.89 on CDKeys. On Xbox One, the base game (no Summerset) is included with Xbox Game Pass.

Some advice to new players that take the plunge: Do not play as the Ebonheart Pact (unless you have friends there already and want to do PvP). Its the Nord (read: Skyrim), Dark Elf (read: Morrowind), and Argonian alliance - so most players instinctively gravitate toward choosing that alliance due to the single-player games - but long-time ESO players will tell you it easily has the worst quests in the title. Two years ago, the One Tamriel update made it so players could go anywhere and do quests wherever/whenever, but the natural pull is to want to work through an alliance questline. And the Ebonheart Pact is fetch-quest central. The other two alliances (particularly the Aldmeri Dominion) are considered to have much better, more interesting quests.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I wish I had time to play this game, but alas I just don't. Seems like they've done some pretty interesting stuff though.

It's honestly one of the only games you'll need if it hits the right itch. You save quite a bit by investing in one GOOD GAAS than by buying every shiny new release. ESO has been my go-to game since it launched PC/PS4 and it's an investment I don't regret in the slightest.

Even when it's boring and between content, it's still soooo good compared to other games and there are so many game modes and collectibles/ achievements that you can always find something to pass the time.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. It's the best it's ever been and the playerbase seems really strong, so I don't think it's going anywhere.

Side note, didn't FFXIV have sub/concurrent player numbers on par with WoW last year? I feel like it isn't anywhere near done

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome. My goto MMORPG. Already put over 600 hours into it. Still have to finish Morrowind and Murkmire first though.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone remind me of the best way of buying this? I have Vanilla from a humble at some point but I think you're better off just buying Summerset now as it's not sold separately right? Can I buy a Summerset key and add it to my Steam version of vanilla so I can launch the game from Steam and get the Summerset stuff?

Also, what else is there to get caught up? Just Morrowind?

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm into FFXIV now, but this has my attention. Will go back for necromantic kittens.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't even finished Summerset, although I do have a character that finished the Psijic questline. Looking forward to seeing how necromancer turns out.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone remind me of the best way of buying this? I have Vanilla from a humble at some point but I think you're better off just buying Summerset now as it's not sold separately right? Can I buy a Summerset key and add it to my Steam version of vanilla so I can launch the game from Steam and get the Summerset stuff?

Also, what else is there to get caught up? Just Morrowind?
You should be able to, ESO goes on sale fairly often on steam. There is an upgrade and a the full sommerset package that gets you almost everything previously released.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
L
Not at all. It's the best it's ever been and the playerbase seems really strong, so I don't think it's going anywhere.

Side note, didn't FFXIV have sub/concurrent player numbers on par with WoW last year? I feel like it isn't anywhere near done

No, WoW has historically had easily ten times as many active players, although I believe it's fallen to around 5x.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Really need to get back to this game. The amount of content in this is amazing

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Is ESO fun enough to play solo?

Keep wanting to try it out when it's on sale on Steam, but I always hold off.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Is ESO fun enough to play solo?

Keep wanting to try it out when it's on sale on Steam, but I always hold off.
Yea but you'll get to raids within each map at some point where u can gather people quite easily and have a matchmaking system for as well. Not mandotory but they're really awesome and put your skill to the test with the teamwork

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Official Reveal January 15th on Twitch. "The cat's out of bag! Ready yourself, adventurer. A massive announcement for The Elder Scrolls Online is on the way! Find out how you can learn about the upcoming ESO Chapter and what's coming to the game in 2019."
995cca336e61a5f25928270de5ca8a65.jpg

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
The Khajiit are secretly one of the best sidekick races in all of fantasy gaming; fantastic one-liners that play off the natural selfishness and unbridled curiosity of cats. And necromancy could be darkly fun.

This could be great.

Absolutely not. The full version of Summerset (which includes the base game) contains some of the best storytelling in the title. And the game is very easy to get into for solo players as a place to start. On PC, its $11.89 on CDKeys. On Xbox One, the base game (no Summerset) is included with Xbox Game Pass.

Some advice to new players that take the plunge: Do not play as the Ebonheart Pact (unless you have friends there already and want to do PvP). Its the Nord (read: Skyrim), Dark Elf (read: Morrowind), and Argonian alliance - so most players instinctively gravitate toward choosing that alliance due to the single-player games - but long-time ESO players will tell you it easily has the worst quests in the title. Two years ago, the One Tamriel update made it so players could go anywhere and do quests wherever/whenever, but the natural pull is to want to work through an alliance questline. And the Ebonheart Pact is fetch-quest central. The other two alliances (particularly the Aldmeri Dominion) are considered to have much better, more interesting quests.

I haven't played in a while but I loved the Aldmeri quest lines.

I've posted this about a few games now: I should get back into playing this.

I need a year sabbatical or something

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Damn guys i still haven't beat the main story and summerset lol. I picked this up on the cheaps mainly just for morrowwind since i LOVE ES 3...I was pleasantly surprised! Its a little jarring being the "chosen one" along with million other players but it was still a lot of fun as a more or less solo experience.

I'll check it out eventually. They have done a great job with this game...barring quite a few micro/cosmetics store issues.

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played in a while but I loved the Aldmeri quest lines.

I've posted this about a few games now: I should get back into playing this.

I need a year sabbatical or something
If you like the base content then you'll enjoy the rest of the game, the questlines and zones are much improved.