• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

YouTube Stream:

Stream will be 4 minutes long.

JST: 12:00pm (April 10)
EDT: 11:00pm (April 9)
PDT: 8:00pm (April 9)

We know this is supposed to be a 'culmination' of the series up to this point. It's for 3DS. Note the 'sqx' in the URL. (For reference, EO5's website is http://sq-atlus.jp/sq5/)

Last edited:

Bagels

Oct 27, 2017
Etrian Odyssey has the weirdest ratio of how much I love a series to the amount of it I have actually played. I feel like there is so much to do in each game that, no matter how many hours I sink in, there is always still most of the game left to see.

Still, I will absolutely buy another one.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to see what they are doing with this final 3DS game in the series. I wonder if they will also talk about the future of the series in general, especially if it even has any.

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
SQX is likely the initial S of Sekaijuu (world tree) and the kyuu of meikyuu (labyrinth) transposed as a Q. Note that this is where the Q in Persona Q came from. So SQ X.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Really looking forward to see what they are doing with this final 3DS game in the series. I wonder if they will also talk about the future of the series in general, especially if it even has any.

While losing some steam in the past few years, Etrian Odyssey is a consistent series in terms of sales. All five mainline entries sold 130-150k units.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
BTW the tweet mentioned that it'll be about 4 minutes. So no Atlus livestream shenanigans here.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
How many EO titles behind are we at this point? It's just EMD2 and PQ2 now plus whatever this is, right?

I say "just" but that still seems like too many for this late in the 3DS' life... something's gotta give.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
How many EO titles behind are we at this point? It's just EMD2 and PQ2 now plus whatever this is, right?

I say "just" but that still seems like too many for this late in the 3DS' life... something's gotta give.
Just EMD2. We still haven't even seen anything of PQ2 yet beyond its teaser.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
The guys at Atlus surely are the biggest fans of the 3DS.

In the past two years they released

Etrian Odyssey V
Radiant Historia
The Alliance Alive
SMT Strange journey redux

And we know they are working on

Etrian Odyssey (VI?)
Persona Q2

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

PQ2 doesn't have a proper date in Japan either yet. EMD2 came out last year, but if anything won't be localized this will be the most likely candidate.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

PQ2 hasn't been released in Japan yet either, so the only EO we're behind is EMD2. And, yeah, I suppose there's a fair chance Atlus passes on bringing EMD2 over.

PQ2 is definitely a lock though and I'd be surprised if they decide not to bring over the new game (although it might depend on how viable 3DS still is in 2019).

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was just thinking the other day we were due for this news soon. I finished the main game of EOV a couple months ago. I liked it a lot, but man those last couple floors were somethin' lol.

The idea of Etrian Odyssey X is kinda cool. I wonder what it really means by "culmination of the series thus far' though.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking the other day we were due for this news soon. I finished the main game of EOV a couple months ago. I liked it a lot, but man those last couple floors were somethin' lol.

The idea of Etrian Odyssey X is kinda cool. I wonder what it really means by "culmination of the series thus far' though.
Last DS/3DS entry. We don't know what they'll do after this game and PQ2, but the team already said they will have to change a lot.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked EO4, incidentally the only game of the series I've played thus far. Really hope the dev find a way to bring the series to Switch after this one, even if the map making mechanic had to be compromised. The games should still solid dungeon crawler without that feature.

Tonyx

Oct 30, 2017
Very good news!

Hopefully after this the series will make the transition to the Switch.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I do wonder what has happened to PQ2. It was announced some time ago, and I'm not sure if they will release both it and this new game this year. Maybe they took the opportunity to move it to another platform.

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I remember being surprised back in '07 that Etrian Odyssey was getting a sequel, and now a decade later it's still going. I'm glad the series has made it this far, and if this is the end for it, I hope it's a good one.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder what has happened to PQ2. It was announced some time ago, and I'm not sure if they will release both it and this new game this year. Maybe they took the opportunity to move it to another platform.
eh. I doubt it. Would take too long for the whole team to learn how to develop for anything not on the DS family, it's just probably coming holidays or 2019 Q1, with this Etrian game coming out this August.

Laur

Oct 27, 2017
X makes me think of a Monster Hunter X kind of game where they try to include everything from past generations... not quite sure what that entails for Etrian Odyssey. Maybe multiple Yggdrasil trees with the world map system from 3/4?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I mean, this is practically the definition of a series that could live and die with dual screen systems.
Not having a touch screen and map which is up at all times sounds like a massive downgrade for the EO games I've played.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This will likely be the last 3DS title I purchase. Let's finish the dual screen era with a series celebration.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

Atlus has already spoken about this, they still love the 3DS and they will wait for a new more handheld focused version of the Switch to bring in Etrian Odyssey. (it could be true but it could also be an excuse to cover the real reason which is "oh we invested a lot on this platform and now people are moving over to the Switch, but we have these games pretty much ready so we will release them anyway")

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Etrian Odyssey has the weirdest ratio of how much I love a series to the amount of it I have actually played. I feel like there is so much to do in each game that, no matter how many hours I sink in, there is always still most of the game left to see.

Still, I will absolutely buy another one.
This is where I'm at too. I absolutely adore these games but I feel like I barely play them.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't finished V. Started EOU1 and 2, haven't finished both as well. Need to finish those before this.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Being realistic, how do you guys feel about the chances of this (or Q2, whichever comes last) being the last game ever?

I just don't see this series working on Switch. I'm trying to imagine some way that the game retains its awesome mapping identity and also works on a general controller setup.

Perhaps it could be handheld only?

If this is the last entry ever, I can say that with so many of these games, I'll definitely be satisfied. I want them to go out with an absolute banger.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, this is practically the definition of a series that could live and die with dual screen systems.
Not having a touch screen and map which is up at all times sounds like a massive downgrade for the EO games I've played.

Mainline EO, perhaps, but PQ is pretty basic and could very easily transition to single-screen format without losing much.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
If they can make Trauma Center work on the Wii, they can make EO make on the Switch.

While the mapping is a big part of the series' identity, they could easily drop it and still have one of the best playing modern DRPG. Seeing how games like Helter Skelter work with one screen I can still see a minimap that can open up to a bigger map screen where you can still do your mapping. I doubt they'll kill the series when it still sells well, they just need time to rework the game to fit on a single screen.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlus has already spoken about this, they still love the 3DS and they will wait for a new more handheld focused version of the Switch to bring in Etrian Odyssey. (it could be true but it could also be an excuse to cover the real reason which is "oh we invested a lot on this platform and now people are moving over to the Switch, but we have these games pretty much ready so we will release them anyway")
Source for this? They said this was the last DS one and moving forward they would have to change things, nothing about waiting for a new Switch.

Atlus should bring the series to PC going forward. Easy dual screen haha.
You're probably joking, but just saying that Atlus only makes company exclusive games.

Being realistic, how do you guys feel about the chances of this (or Q2, whichever comes last) being the last game ever?

I just don't see this series working on Switch. I'm trying to imagine some way that the game retains its awesome mapping identity and also works on a general controller setup.

Perhaps it could be handheld only?

If this is the last entry ever, I can say that with so many of these games, I'll definitely be satisfied. I want them to go out with an absolute banger.
It will be reworked, but no chance the series is dying because of platform change. It's still the third best selling Atlus IP, behind Persona and SMT, and is probably one of their best RoI as the games are cheap and sell very well.