• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
During a podcast in June, Bloomberg's Jason Schreier noted that the next "Far Cry" could go in a "radically different direction." That tracks with a source of my own who said the company was exploring a more online-oriented approach for a sequel.

www.axios.com

Ubisoft bets on a hit with “Far Cry 6”

Ubisoft’s workplace issues and creative problems raise questions about its future as a hitmaker.

Not surprising, it is obvious that Ubisoft is betting big in F2P and Online.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Being online is not necessary bad but Ubisoft is already pushing 3 F2P-online only games and at some point they have to stop

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
When your over-used gameplay model becomes so tired your series is no longer reviewing overwhelmingly positively... it's obviously time to pivot to a GAAS model.

That always works!

Jaytra

Sep 29, 2021
Ubisoft has thousands of employees and dozens of teams across the world. I don't hate Ubisoft but damn is there output not exciting. Look at what they can achieve with occasional games such as Mario & Rabbids and Rayman. Such a waste of potential.

Oct 31, 2017
They are genuinely making easier and easier to ignore the entirety of Ubisoft's output as the time go.

To think that there was a time when this company was responsible of Beyond Good & Evil, Prince Of Persia Sands of Time, Heroes of Might & Magic, Rayman and a lot of other great stuff.

elPolloDiablo

Apr 9, 2021
the Netherlands
Another Ubi franchise going MP focussed? Man I love Ubisoft open world games including the Far Cry series. Do not give much of a crap about Battle Royal or (F2P) MP shooters. I feel those are done much better by other games and franchises.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
monkey's paw shit

I changed my mind Ubi, just make far cry 7 the same again it's fine. No need to mess with anything haha we all love it

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I thought EA was a disaster managing their valuable IPs, but Ubisoft is on a path to beat them. Watch it be their third Battle Royale flop. Who makes these decisions? Seems like a waste of an enjoyable single player IP.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
It won't be Battle Royal, it will be Ubisoft take on Battle Royal XD

Honestly, I always thought a battle Royal version of the hide and seek gameplay from the assassin's creed multiplayer modes could be extremely cool. A BR game focused on stealthily killing other players instead of shooting would be very unique.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
I'll just add that when Ubisoft recently opened a Berlin office they started hiring people with online experience for a Far Cry game. I was wondering why until now.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I feel it'll be less like a battle royale and much more like Destiny or the Division, with real-time pvpve

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see. Things could change if this still sells 5+ million copies while all of their online-centric games like Hyperscape, this new Ghost Recon, and R6 Extraction all underperform

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I always thought a battle Royal version of the hide and seek gameplay from the assassin's creed multiplayer modes could be extremely cool. A BR game focused on stealthily killing other players instead of shooting would be very unique.

You got The Division and Ghost Recon and you will like it XD

astro

Oct 25, 2017
"Online focus" could mean anything, but giving Ubi the benefit of the doubt that it won't be some generic GaaS or BR with the usual template open world is not something I have energy for.

Saying that... An actual online Far Cry with many players on the map could be very fun, and might actually work without too much innovation in game design. I am interested to see where this goes.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
So, both AC ans FC going for an online "game as a service" model?

Well, I'm not sure this is the future I ever wanted from these.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I thought the appeal of stuff like Assassins Creed and Far Cry where that they were single player games (with far cry having optional co op) where you could fuck around in

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
They are genuinely making easier and easier to ignore the entirety of Ubisoft's output as the time go.

To think that there was a time when this company was responsible of Beyond Good & Evil, Prince Of Persia Sands of Time, Heroes of Might & Magic, Rayman and a lot of other great stuff.

It is amusing watching Ubi follow in the exact same footsteps as EA. Give it another 5 years or so and it'll make a big song and dance about returning to traditional single-player experiences.

Last edited:

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, both AC ans FC going for an online "game as a service" model?

Well, I'm not sure this is the future I ever wanted from these.
So I'll finally have some time to catch up on older FC and AC games, as Valhalla and FC6 are the last traditional open world games in their respective franchises. Looks like its battle-royale-destiny-division copy pasta from here on out.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Not that surprising but I still think that's a mistake. With Ghost Recon becoming an online / co-op oriented franchise and with that series clearly sharing some of the key Far Cry elements like charismatic villains and 'exotic' settings it feels like there's no need to push Far Cry down that way too. Especially because to me FC is all about single player and a narrative (even if it's weak). All this is going to achieve is homogenize the franchises even further.

I would like them instead to try something new with Far Cry. People hate on New Dawn but at least it actually tried to innovate. Some things worked and some didn't but I feel that's better than playing it completely safe like they did with 6. I actually think it's the 'safest' iteration of FC yet, it feels like a weird sidestep in many ways.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
So a Far Cry that's not more Far Cry? No thanks, it will be the first one I don't purchase.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Man only bad news coming from Ubisoft lately, they're gonna move all their IPs in directions that are gonna suck

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Ubisoft is only spending 20% of its budgets on F2P so it probably won't be that. Could Far Cry get a F2P game? Sure. But it'll also get a new mainline game too.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly just kill the franchise and make something different, outside of the original PC release it's never been that great anyway