• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you like the open world levels in Gears 5?

• I loved them

• Yes but they could have been better

• Not really they took away from linear and traditional Gears action

• I hated them

Results are only viewable after voting.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Honestly, they need to rework everything on the gameplay perspective and especially animations, the game feel too much like a 2006 game and it's a chore to play, I kinda like what they did with the campaign so I don't mind if they're going to that direction but for the love of everyone, FIX YOUR FUCKING GAME BEFORE RELEASING IT, I can't understand how the game released in that state, it was a broken mess for weeks and we still have issues that aren't fixed yet, its multiplayer is the worst I've seen since Gears 2, the servers are completely trash, they are not enough maps and the ranked system is completely stupid, how the hell did they think it was ok to release that shit...

I'm personally done with Gears 5 and I'm not sure I want another episode if they aren't shaking everything up, if Gears 6 will just be a Gears V.2 I'll be done with the franchise forever.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I didn't enjoy the open world elements that much, in chapter 2 it was cool but in chapter 3 it was overkill and destroyed the pacing of the game for me.

The worse part is the game has the same poor open world implementation GoW 2018 had: you do nothing interesting in the big hub area and all the good gameplay sections are in clearly linear areas with one entrance and one exit, so integrating everything in a linear tight experience seems the best idea and helps to allocate the budget to good gameplay instead of filler traversal.

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Gears 5 felt weird, kinda like they werent sure if they wanted to go open world or not so instead we basically got a 3D Map to choose the next level.
They should really make a decision and either go with Hubs and do them properly or throw that shit out and go back to being a linear shooter

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the idea. I did in fact enjoy the open bits in 5, but the whole shift in direction of the game made it feel a little less unique. A little more like it's playing catch-up with the AAA industry. It felt like it desperately wanted to directly compete with Sony's games, but it's not as good at being that kind of experience.

For a series that was so influential, it's impressive just how unique Gears feels. It was never my favorite playing TPS, but it played in a way that I couldn't get from any other series. I agree it's time to shake things up, but if ends up just feeling kind of generic, I no longer have any reason to play it.

If they can innovate again when shaking things up, that's wonderful. But if their idea of modernizing the series is to make it AAA: The Game, then I'll pass.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Yeah we need more open world stuff in great linear games. Like there wasnt enough already. Didnt really feel it in 5. Shame :/

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised, I expected them to keep on adding to the current gears and try a new ip instead, since my impressions were that fans of the series were disappointed in gears 5 and that the title did not seem a major succes (based on most players count from the xbox store and twitch viewers).
Complete opposite. Broke GP records and reinvigorated the franchise. 5 has the best SP in the series, the Coalition moved the story telling and acting forward in a way others have not, combined with some of the best visuals this gen. Really cemented Coalition as one of the best TPS studios around.

Last edited:

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Never played a gears game apart from 5 but that choice was buttcheeks and makes me less excited for gears 6. I'd have hoped for less of that.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I thought the open world stuff they did was really interesting and felt pretty natural. Having played 4 right before 5 it was pretty refreshing to move away from straight path -> combat area -> straight path -> cut scene -> repeat

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I played gears 4 and 5 back to back. 5 is a huge step up in tone and atmosphere. really enjoyed the slower bits and more horror focused areas, hopefully that vibe continues going forward. hell go even further in that direction. it might not be the best direction for co-op play throughs but it makes for a much more interesting campaign than going from one battle arena to the next like in earlier titles.

you can tell the hubs didn't have as much time put into them, they feel less organic and designed with hard transitions going into side areas. thankfully theyre not so big they feel like a slog but it feels more proof of concept than fully fleshed out. if gears 6 is designed as an entire world instead of chunks of a world tied together by a hub it will be real interesting.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Well depends on the choices they're going with. The one mandatory choice introduced in Gears 5 was completely pointless and unnecessary. Now the option to choose whether or not to do side quests and learn more about the world and unlock some cool stuff, that I loved. Give more of that and none of the other.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
The open world segments were completely pointless. Made it feel like I had to do a chore before I could play the next level. Really hated them, big waste of time. I stopped playing when I saw that there was a second open world section.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Absolutely the wrong direction for this franchise. Just make it a balls-out shooter with insane graphics and VFX. No one wants or cares about the story in Gears Of War. Open world is a terrible idea. We just want to blow shit up in brilliantly designed levels with great weapons. The end.

Sounds like a great way to get 7/10 reviews in today's world.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
the open world segments diluted the game. The snow one was acceptable, and could've been fine, if it was just that. But then you get to the desert one and the game actually sends you back and forth through locations you've already visited, and the general detail/polish of the place is significantly lower, sloppier than the snow area.

Jack was a great addition, though.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
That poll could be better.

I didn't like the open levels at all, but that's because they were completely half baked and didn't add anything to the game.

I'm not against open levels generally though, provided they actually add something to the game.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Complete opposite. Broke GP records and reinvigorated the franchise. 5 has the best SP in the series, the Coalition moved the story telling and acting forward in a way others have not, combined with some of the best visuals this gen. Really cemented Coalition as one of the best TPS studios around.
I have noticed the narrative on Gears 5 changed very quickly from "its amazing! the best Gears ever!" to "its kinda alright" so I don't think this is very accurate.

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
The mindset of gamers never surprise me. People complain when games don't change enough, then they complain when games change too much. My goodness! If y'all wanna play old school Gears, right right ahead there are 5 games including Judgement that let you play old school Gears.

I for one am very excited at the new approach the series is taking. I'll freely admit the open hub in chapter 3 wasn't the best but the franchise is dipping its toes into new things and they'll learn and improve on it. I don't understand how people can complain about it when we're getting the best of both worlds. Linear point to point chapters and more open hub chapters. It's a great mixture; granted the open hub areas need more. It could be cool if they were populated with people and some random encounters to keep the momentum high.

The game clearly had some pacing issues due to those chapters but they can easily be remedied. The branching story points have somewhat always been in Gears but never to this extent. It'll be very interesting too see which version they make canonical.

But I for one love the new direction the series has taken.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
We need more amazing weather effects,

7IXKBAt.gif

This was such a shitty part on insane difficulty. Hated the sand open-world level as a whole. The Coalition need longer development time. They finished Gears 5 in 2.5 years, right? That's short time for a big budget AAA game these days. Gears 5 was rather buggy, open-world levels exploration wasn't as rewarding as one would expect, The Coalition had to reuse all enemies from previous games because yeah, lack of time.

At this point i'm really not sure what they should do with Gears 6.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
i just cruised to the objective in gears 5 because i didn't care for the open elements.........its not something that is needed in the mainline series.

Do a spin off title like Forza Horizon if you want to experiment. I would be down for a looter open world gears...........as long as its not the mainline series

There is probably a reason Halo's next title is called infinite and not 6

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the new shit in Gears 5 including the character shift was fucking terrible. This franchise isn't for me anymore if this is their direction forward. Man i miss Gears 1 for some reason now

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These are all the elements I disliked about Gears 5. Yeah, I'm out.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I wanted to like the skiff parts, but it just felt like needless bloat for the sake of ticking a checkbox. Had a similar experience with Uncharted 4. It ruined the pacing, and I much prefer the "left or right" options of previous entries.

It could have been handled as more engaging vehicular levels instead of a fauxpen-world where all you do is fumble about in an empty space looking for the good bits.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Not really, that's just a vocal minority. It's likely the best Gears game.
with its convoluted microtransactions, how hard online traction has fallen for this multiplayer game, I doubt it. Most of the people who praised it probably didn't even touch Horde nor Escape. And nah, it really isn't the best. It's below the OG trilogy, but it's better than 4 and Judgement, if that counts for something.
Sucks because I really wanted to love it, I did enjoy the campaign, but the open world rpg-esque elements and the choice ending were the worst parts of the game, surprised they are doubling down on them

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I believe we had two polls where it come out on top or second between all of them. I guess agree to disagree, the MTs are pretty bad for sure though.
I don't think Era is a good place to measure a game's popularity tbh. But sure, agree to disagree sounds reasonable to me

fbnaulin

Mar 15, 2018
I like the new direction. Me and my brother loved it semi-open world with small skirmish levels that were very well designed and keep action fresh. Jack was amazing as well.

That final player choice was brutal. It was OK for me.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
They have to commit with the budget if they are going for this path.
RPGs are expensive. RPGs with AAAA production values that we expect from Gears of War is something that we havent see.
I dont want to see the edges of the game every time i take a choice (im looking at you The Witcher 3)

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the open world stuff, but I'd appreciate better world building too myself. I enjoyed the campaign from beginning to end.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
What's fans are they talking to? The ones who will like it no matter what because it's gears?

The open world was terrible. I'd rather be fighting an shooting than travelling round and doing mini segments.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 was considerably worse than 4 because of the large "hub" levels. If they want to go into this direction they will have to get A LOT better at world building, lore, side missions, characters, etc. I'm not sure why they'd want to call the end result "Gears" either.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I really hope open world dies soon.

90% of the time its just a lazy way to pad out a game with bullshit and pretend its bigger and longer than it is. I'll take a focused well crafted game play and story over open world bloat any day.

Oct 29, 2017
Actually didn't mind the hub worlds once I played the game, but that choice, along with the plot of the game and the ending, was horseshit. I'm grateful for Game Pass, but not in a way Microsoft would like me to be.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 was an absolute blast and is up there in terms of Campaign for best of the series for me. Excited to see what's next.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
"Gears 5 was all about laying the foundation for the franchise to steer it into the future"
Fam I can swear y'all said the same thing about Gears 4.

The thing is that whatever you're laying, it's not good. Gears 5 despite being very unfinished (I encountered a hell number of bugs, a bit shameful for a AAA), it also made me feel very bad for the team, having to add dull and empty hubs to feature a difference with the last one, it's not well written either (I facepalmed so hard to the choice late in the game). It's just a good technical showcase for the unreal engine, with having the same gameplay of a 14 year old franchise (that I can still enjoy, but it's still the same thing).

So adding more RPG elements, more choices and more open world levels won't help your purpose. I feel like this franchise is stuck on a creative crisis, break that chaos loop and pull the plug on the series if you don't know what to do with it, The Coalition is blatantly lacking of inspiration for Gears of War (and I'm not blaming them, more so the people that put them on that IP).

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I felt the player choice stuff came out of the left field.

More focus on the open-world stuff sounds awesome. God of War reminded me a bit of Mario Galaxy, in that you can find small "self contained" areas with a bit of combat, and some puzzles. It's like having small mini-levels within the level. That type of design is great and I love the feeling of completion you get from gradually exploring and clearing out those areas.

Jan 4, 2018
I hated the open world segments because it broke the pace of the campaign and it was terribly empty (especially when you compare with the linear segments which are full of details). I don't get what was the purpose of these open world segment.

Aug 23, 2018
Everyone who hears this news and is "out" for the next one definitely won't be downloading it on GamePass to try at all right?

I'm all in on Kait and Marcus being the faces of the franchise, more densely packed open hub areas with side missions and NPCs with more robust RPG mechanics. I definitely don't want to see more branching storylines or play decisions that impact it, though.

The one that Gears 5 had felt like it cheapened the entire thrill ride that was the campaign. It makes for a less cohesive story for the entire series if they just keep branching it out. I hope they consider making one of the Gears 5 choices canon and just cut that shit out

And more Fahz, please . He is just the right amount of dick-head I need in a COG side kick

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Not a fan of this on paper. While the Skiff controlled great, I found the snow hub really lacking and the red sand hub better but a little dead.

That said, if they are going to do this, they should take an extra year and do it right. Call up Obsidian, InXile and Playground for as many pointers as they need.

The big thing for me though is they need to remember the set pieces. That is, for me at least, what sets Gears apart, and 5 was kinda lacking.