• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you like the open world levels in Gears 5?

• I loved them

• Yes but they could have been better

• Not really they took away from linear and traditional Gears action

• I hated them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Complete opposite. Broke GP records and reinvigorated the franchise. 5 has the best SP in the series, the Coalition moved the story telling and acting forward in a way others have not, combined with some of the best visuals this gen. Really cemented Coalition as one of the best TPS studios around.

So your using the first 2 weeks as a barometer now? It fell like a rock by end of September. It's got the biggest drop off, and since MS isn't sharing actual sales for the game, we have no clue now because GP muddy's the numbers.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Open world levels, and choice based story... things I dont want in a gears game.

The open levels in 5 seemed like just there to waste time and say "we have big levels", and they need to work on getting you invested in more than a few characters if they want choices to feel like they matter. The choice in 5 was probably my most disliked part.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
As long as the MP stays the CQC in your face gorefest, I think it's cool they want to experiment in the SP space.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
The hub worlds. While abit empty. Were a great for world building imo. It felt way more i was on Sera then any other game.

Yeah I agree really liked them. I think they will be something really special in the next game now that they have the time to properly build them out and make them feel inhabited. Its part of the reason I think 5 has the best lore and allows you to connect with Kait and Del so much. Each section has some great backstory of the universe that you're rewarded with and they learned from God of War and TLOU that traversal is a great opportunity to establish the relationship between two characters through their conversations. Some of my favorite moments were the things Kait and Del would bring up while on the skiff

Aug 23, 2018
I have noticed the narrative on Gears 5 changed very quickly from "its amazing! the best Gears ever!" to "its kinda alright" so I don't think this is very accurate.
I don't think Era is a good place to measure a game's popularity tbh. But sure, agree to disagree sounds reasonable to me

You're kinda contradicting yourself here about a games success being based on a "narrative"

Whatever point you're trying to make about Gears 5 multiplayer has nothing to do with this article about the campaign of the sequel

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
This was such a shitty part on insane difficulty. Hated the sand open-world level as a whole. The Coalition need longer development time. They finished Gears 5 in 2.5 years, right? That's short time for a big budget AAA game these days. Gears 5 was rather buggy, open-world levels exploration wasn't as rewarding as one would expect, The Coalition had to reuse all enemies from previous games because yeah, lack of time.

At this point i'm really not sure what they should do with Gears 6.

I can't even imagine because on hardcore it was such a nightmare.
The only thing I didn't like about Gears 5 was all of ACT 3.
HATED ACT 3

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I have noticed the narrative on Gears 5 changed very quickly from "its amazing! the best Gears ever!" to "its kinda alright" so I don't think this is very accurate.

Hasn't changed for me. Loved it then and still do now. Beats out Gears of War 2 by a hair for the best entry in the series.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
meh. I feel like the Tomb Raider games did a good job adding open world and rpg elements to their games and wish they would do something in that style.

Having played 4 right before 5, 5 is definitely the far better game.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely the wrong direction for this franchise. Just make it a balls-out shooter with insane graphics and VFX. No one wants or cares about the story in Gears Of War. Open world is a terrible idea. We just want to blow shit up in brilliantly designed levels with great weapons. The end.
After the awful dialogue in Gears 5 I'm inclined to agree. Best moments were the opening and ending levels. Everything else was none for the better. Gears is best linear.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I thought the open world bits were fine in Gears 5, because they helped give a rest between the frantic linear shooting sections. But they could have been way better too.

I'm on the fence tbh for future installments. I'm not usually a fan of open world and RPG stuff being shoved in to a game, but they weren't exactly intrusive in Gears 5. But if the next edition of Gears was a spin off, rather than Gears 6, and mixed things up a bit with more of a RPG focus, that would be fine. As long as we eventually get a Gears 6 too. But also would beg the question: why not a new IP instead?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought they were excellent additions, that if anything they didn't lean in to hard enough. I definitely welcome more of a focus on these elements. Hopefully despite more open environments etc, they still keep the pacing and engagement balance tight or constantly interesting.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
I think they should stick to action. I don't think the open-world areas were well executed in 5. God of War did it great but they had to change a lot of the core gameplay while Gears didn't. Just my 2 cents.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I am currently enjoying Gears 5 a lot but so far the open world sections haven't really added much to the experience for me. It's just ok. I hope they improve on this with the next game.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Man they should just work on a new IP

^ This.

I have nothing but respect for Rod and his team, but honestly so far he pales in comparison to Epic with Cliffy at the wheel in terms of campaign, and iterative changes for the series.

I thought the open world bits were fine in Gears 5, because they helped give a rest between the frantic linear shooting sections. But they could have been way better too.

I'm on the fence tbh for future installments. I'm not usually a fan of open world and RPG stuff being shoved in to a game, but they weren't exactly intrusive in Gears 5. But if the next edition of Gears was a spin off, rather than Gears 6, and mixed things up a bit with more of a RPG focus, that would be fine. As long as we eventually get a Gears 6 too. But also would beg the question: why not a new IP instead?

I'm in the same boat. I think when I first played it i was blown away by the controls how good it felt campaign wise. But after act 2 the entire ride kind of ended for me.

I feel they are trying to turn gears into something it's not and should honestly either go all the way with it, or just make something new, and leave gears alone for a while.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
More Open than 5 would be a mistake, especially when they failed to capitalise fully on the open hub structure of Gears 5.

Keep the same level of openness as Gears 5, just fill the world with more richness of content, e.g. the Witcher 3. I don't mind taking inspiration from RPGs if you're actually taking the elements that really matter.

Openness for the sake of an appearance of a non-linear structure just feels hollow. Openness that actually packs the world full of things to discover is great.

RPG system elements in a shooter like Gears, however, is undesirable. Focus more on creating and fine-tuning more interesting and creative weapons (and even use those as rewards to incentivise exploration in your more Open World game structure — but make sure you have the content to back it up).

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I think them working on remastering/remaking gears 2 and 3 in Unreal 4 engine would give them a good idea of how good those games with the modes they had still are. Beast mode was so fucking cool, and horde was simple and fun using power weapons all over the map like the mortar.

I mean i didn't mind some changes like the fabricator i just didn't like that they regulated people to roles.
Horde was about figuring shit out on what worked, without needing special abilities tied to characters.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That choice option in gears 5 was so rushed and stupid 😂😂. It didn't even make me care for any of those characters in the game due to it being mediocre. So I just said eh you die. So no just give me the regular story fleshed out properly. Without any halfway done none sense. Every game doesn't need player voice options.

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I really liked the gears 5 campaign. I didn't feel compelled to explore much but had a blast playing. Granted I'm not near as invested in Gears as I am Halo. But if 6 was just more of 5 a couple years from now I'm on board. I am curious of how they will start 6 after that choice. I don't think the movement in gears lends itself to being even more open than 5 tho.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Rpg mechanics in action games are trash, pls no. If anything free up the movement some more in gears, try to reinvent some challenges for a cover shooter. It's too bare bones of a combat loop to carry a single player game. It works in mp because of map control n shit like wall bouncing n wall cancels.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Please... That is garbage.

Gears of War is something relatively simple and the last thing this (another franchise!) needs is production/vision bloat. I'm tired of AAA being so high-risk that developers start to throw everything into the kitchen sink to justify its production in some misguided catch-all ideal of "now we ensure ANY type of gamer wants to play!".

Gears doesn't need "choices".
It doesn't need "Open World".
It's not an RPG, COME ON! xD

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Please... That is garbage.

Gears of War is something relatively simple and the last thing this (another franchise!) needs is production/vision bloat. I'm tired of AAA being so high-risk that developers start to throw everything into the kitchen sink to justify its production in some misguided catch-all ideal of "now we ensure ANY type of gamer wants to play!".

Gears doesn't need "choices".
It doesn't need "Open World".
It's not an RPG, COME ON! xD

Honestly I think TC need a break from gears.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think TC need a break from gears.
And I would be totally fine with that. Let them make a new IP where all this open world RPG stuff with player choices will be natural. Trying to shoehorn something loved and proven into a different thing just because you're tired of making the old game again is the wrong way to make a sequel.

Though I have not played the story yet, I do know about the decision you have to make and yes, I too wonder how are they going to continue that in the next Gears. Will our choice have an impact or will they just say, "This is what happened..."
As usual, either they'll ignore your decision (pretty much like Gears 5 story ignored everything what happened in 4) or they'll write off both ways beyond that decision off screen, between 5 and 6.

Oct 27, 2017
How is the choice you had to make going to tie in with the sequel is what I want to know. Will you have to tell Gears 6 at the beginning what choice you made in order to get the 'right' story?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 was my favourite in the series and RPGs are my favourite genre so I'm excited to see them expand on the story and RPG elements more.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
So, they wanna double down on 2 of the worst aspects of 5? The open areas in 5 felt completely unnecessary and the mission design in the optional areas are just garbage tier. The "branching narrative" in the end was so lame I couldn't help but laugh. I already wasn't expecting much of 6 so they saying that just gives me even less confidence.

Oct 27, 2017
I like to replay Gears games every now and then.

I'm replaying Gears 5 now on insane difficulty and it really sucks having to check every corner for the upgrade parts again.

I don't know if they stay upgraded if you play again on the same difficulty but it's really slowing me down - those Jack upgrades are really useful and a fun addition to the Gears gameplay loop.

But I don't see why they needed to put those upgrades behind collecting parts. Especially since you can respec at any time. I understand trying to reward exploration but there has to be a better way of doing it in future games.

I actually enjoyed the exploration first time through. Just replaying it is a drag

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
There's no RPG elements. This is silly. Gamingbolt is using that term to refer to the dev's mention of Jack's upgrades, but even calling that thing "RPG lite" is a stretch.
Absolutely the wrong direction for this franchise. Just make it a balls-out shooter with insane graphics and VFX. No one wants or cares about the story in Gears Of War. Open world is a terrible idea. We just want to blow shit up in brilliantly designed levels with great weapons. The end.
Agreed 100%. I didn't even mind the hub sections that much, but IMO they should really limit this to maybe one such area, because otherwise it's just padding. I hated controlling the skiff too and let my SO handle that, because it was just so annoying.

I didn't know about "player choice" 'cause I haven't finished it yet, but that's also idiotic and completely unnecessary. Let Gears be the excellent arcade coop shooter it always and iterate and improve on what made it great, stop making it Ubisoft-lite. Ugh.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I care about the big choice because now it makes me believe that the characters involved won't have much to do in the next game since they need to account for the player choice.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Ugh. Story choice and open worlds largely felt shoehorned and incongruent with what had been established with the prior 5 games.

Honestly, I'm fairly exhausted with the franchise and wish TC would pursue a new IP. Gears 5 was well-produced and mechanically rock solid, but the franchise might be the most creatively boring among the big 3's tentpole franchises. When they talk about the 'future' of Gears, just how much longer are they going to dedicate one of their best first party developers to this? We're definitely getting 6. What about 7? 8? 9? Tactics 2? I just don't see the justification for this being such a long-lasting franchise. It's got an AAA fanbase to be sure, but one that has significantly declined from its heyday and in absolute terms doesn't really appear that large. 5 didn't really seem to have a big impact on Gears' mindshare or really elevate the opinion of Xbox first party offerings.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
I really dont care about the SP anymore. Just get the MP working properly with proper unlocks instead of what 4 and 5 have been doing.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
meh. I feel like the Tomb Raider games did a good job adding open world and rpg elements to their games and wish they would do something in that style.

Having played 4 right before 5, 5 is definitely the far better game.
Yep. I just finished 3 before playing 5, the leap in story, gunplay, pacing, chaos and creativity is ... generational (ofcourse), but it didn't feel that way with 4.

5 >>>>> 3,2,4,1.

Best TPS this gen along with RE2 Remake.

So your using the first 2 weeks as a barometer now? It fell like a rock by end of September. It's got the biggest drop off, and since MS isn't sharing actual sales for the game, we have no clue now because GP muddy's the numbers.

I'm using recognised data yes. MS (the financiers) deem its success, not you, only applying sku sales is invalid, so if MS business is to increase GP numbers + player numbers and it does, that's what matters. What's the difference between 3 million paying & playing vs 3 million playing and subbing? Gears still brings in 3 million players for MS. It'll continue to get funding and resource based on its GP performance, so it's a defining metric for future investment. On the MP side, expect to see a spike when they release info about the next drop, more then likely holding back info for X019.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The open areas didn't really do much for me. I wouldn't mind more fleshed out open areas in the next game though but RPG elements is just odd.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I liked the game but they are giggling down on issues it seems.

Gears hub areas were completely useless and felt really fake instead of being a part of larger world. Also all the side missions played exactly the same. Go in shoot enemy get upgrade and return to skiff. Plus the skiff and open ended missions were so buggy.

RPG elements were again completely useless it was more like getting all the upgrades instead of choices suiting your play style.

Finally as much as people claim gears 5 had great graphics it lacked micro details which make the world feel grounded along with strange choices with perspective. In some of the areas you felt midget in a world designed for bigger creatures. Also most of the world detail seems like it painted on instead of being real objects

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Really don't think narrative choices belong, and I hated it when it showed up in 5. Stick to gameplay choices, both in how you approach encounters (ie: Weapon loadouts & player engagement) and map progression (ie: Open world or branching choices like G1).

In the moments I liked the Open World segments, but they killed the pacing and intensity. It doesn't help that they put the two big Open World segments back to back. Gears 5 was the first Gears game that I didn't finish the campaign for in the launch week (took me a month).

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Just because "you" didn't like the changes, doesn't mean everybody else hated it too. The story in 5 answered more questions about the Locust than the original trilogy did.

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
It really is time to break free, like it's so weird how they didn't try anything in the snow area and stuff like events, encounters and secrets in the map itself only began in the sand part.

Damien1928

Oct 27, 2017
Call me crazy but I loved gears 4, didn't particularly like 5.

Would prefer linearity in gears, not everything needs to be open world

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Nah chapters 2 and 3 were such a drag by the end of them.
And the rpg lite shit is so overdone in games now.
Kinda frustrating they'd go down this route.