• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
I have had this question in my mind for the last couple of days.

With the release of the next-gen consoles by the end of this year and the delay of games like; Cyberpunk, Final Fantasy, Dying Light 2 and the Avengers game, I am seriously considering on just not buying those games for the PS4 since it so close to the release of the next-gen consoles. Considering that everything is going to be backwards compatible in the first place, i'd rather play it on a console where I know the performance will be up to snuff. Not to mention that there is a pretty big chance of developers releasing some type of 'next-gen patch' or 'next-gen dlc' so we get the much more improved experience.

What are your thoughts about all this, era?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm indeed skipping FF VII Remake just to get the whole thing natively on next gen when the next episodes will be announced for it.
I would feel bad if I had episode 1 only with BC and the other being next gen only.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
It depends, I just moved halfway across the country and I'm in my first relationship in years. Gotta do some saving and I think I want both consoles as I've been waiting for a chance to jump back into halo. So I'll probably go PS5 One X this fall and I'm gonna want as much to play in it as possible so I'll skip cyberpunk, Tsushima, dying light, doom, and TLOU 2 till their inevitable next gen releases. I'm not skipping FFVII. The way I look at it this may be the only installment I buy probably.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its been confirmed that PS5 will be backwards compatible?

May 25, 2019
London
Cyberpunk has definitely been delayed into the territory of "buy on next gen" for many of my friends. I might take the same approach with TLoU2.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm indeed skipping FF VII Remake just to get the whole thing natively on next gen when the next episodes will be announced for it. I would feel bad if I had episode 1 only with BC and the other being next gen only.

Skipping FFVII remake makes a lot of sense when you put it like that.

I will probably pick up Cyberpunk on PC.

Any PS4 exclusives from here out can wait for next-gen.

My Gamepass subscription means I'll play any MS Exclusives as they come out.

Last edited:

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Not buying anything on the PS4 anymore. Only exception might, miiight be Elden Ring, if it turns out to be released before next gen and to be absolutely freaking fantastic, that is. But even then I expect it to run on next gen hardware, so I'm not in a hurry to get it/play it.

Depending on how next gen consoles end up in terms of hardware and prices, I might jump into PC gaming instead. Playing those games at a later date then obviously won't be an issue anyway.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Mos def.

Only games I'm buying this year for PS4 are TLoU2 and GoT. And maybe DOOM, but I'm really not liking the platforming aspect, so it depends on reviews

I will replay TLoU2 and GoT on PS5 and buy Dying Light 2 and CP2077 for next gen.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I already planned on waiting on cyberpunk when it was releasing in april, i am also waiting on control because of the performance issues.
i am not waiting on games that i am invested in their worlds or stories and dont want to be spoiled about them, for example TLOU2.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
It depends on the release dates of both the consoles and what the general policy of cross gen games are

I expect MS to be more generous with free upgrades to titles you already own but nobody knows yet.

Of the big games we know about Cyberpunk is the only one I'm really interested in and now that's moved so close to when new consoles launch I might as well wait

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll at least wait with Cyberpunk til my XBSX arrives. Loading times on Witcher 3 are already abysmal and the Menu Lag is annoying as well. I hope the SSD Tech will get rid of stuff like that.

It'll also be patched up a little by the time XBSX launches.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'm good.
Chances are there will be patches for nextgen consoles so I can switch.
There'll be more games later on so skipping these with already huge backlog - nope.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll play all the games I'm interested in day one, it's not like they won't look great either way. Hopefully BC with improvements will mean I won't need to double dip for future improved playthroughs. But ideally when the next gen arrives, I want to be playing mostly newer, next gen games. Lord knows how quickly I build up a backlog lol.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Nah.
I can't wait months on months to play TLoU PII, Ghosts or Cyberpunk while others enjoy the game and spoilers ran rampant across internet and YT.

However, I do hope I can carry progress straight from PS4 to PS5 for example with Cybeprunk for big ass games I'm not done with.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
Thinking about waiting on TLOU2 and FF7 ps5 versions, or PC for the latter. Everything else nope. Got a great pc.