• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Third party "xbox compatible" VR implementation would be so much better than a single dedicated device that is then stuck with old tech and bad support.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

Seems the most likely candidate. So hopefully new info soon.

Cool, was kinda hoping to hear more info on more updates to Windows Mixed Reality at Build this last week, but I don't think we got much. I guess the time table on it is a little farther out. Excited to see what this new HP headset is all about.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Quick and dirty if anyone wanted to see it a bit clearer:
SA62mvC.png

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, was kinda hoping to hear more info on more updates to Windows Mixed Reality at Build this last week, but I don't think we got much. I guess the time table on it is a little farther out. Excited to see what this new HP headset is all about.

I was thinking the same thing. Thought for sure it meant no info coming soon.

It's interesting that the Samsung Odysessy+ is also sold out everywhere. I guess in could be the virus creating stock issues, but I wonder if we're about to get a WMR 2 announcement soon and they were just clearing inventory first. If so, that rumored Samsung HMD could also be unveiled shortly. That China patent they filed looked funky. If it had a significantly wider FOV and was using next gen OLEDs, that one truly would be next-gen.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
how can they still release potato fov headsets in 2020

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
So it's looking like the 28th for its unveiling:

AWE USA 2020 - HP and Microsoft Tech Talk

Come learn more about HP’s vision for the future with exciting announcements and special guests from Microsoft. Join us for this special conversation.

HP is having a tech talk on the 28th and MS is their special guest.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I wonder if "screen door effect shaders" are going to be popular in the future when people are reminiscing about playing games on older VR devices. It definitely gives games a distinct, almost CRT like feeling.

Personally i hate it and hope that we can get rid of it soon.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if "screen door effect shaders" are going to be popular in the future when people are reminiscing about playing games on older VR devices. It definitely gives games a distinct, almost CRT like feeling.

Personally i hate it and hope that we can get rid of it soon.

I'm not selling my Vive for this very reason. It's the best way to play old (emulated) games IMO. You don't even need CRT shaders. You get that CRT grid structure for free. The colors, pixel structure, and motion resolution are second to none this way.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's looking like the 28th for its unveiling:

AWE USA 2020 - HP and Microsoft Tech Talk

Come learn more about HP’s vision for the future with exciting announcements and special guests from Microsoft. Join us for this special conversation.

HP is having a tech talk on the 28th and MS is their special guest.

Oh shit. Super excited for it. It's also so weird that it's the first and only non-Valve hardware being sold on Steam so I really wanna see what the have in stock

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
If it's comparable to the Index but cheaper... oh baby...

There's definitely ways to cut some serious costs. Personally, if the 4 camera WMR2 rumors are true, I'd prefer the computer vision approach. Although I could also see lighthouse tracking be an optional route. This would cut hundreds from the manufacturing side. The controllers have some serious fat on them too. Things like the load cell sensors for squeeze detection? It's a gimmick that simply drove up costs on the Index.

I feel like they could cut some serious fat without losing anything on a practical level. Whether that would result in a cheaper price remains to be seen. I think everyone has conceded the mainstream market to Oculus. There's no profit margins to be had with how they're pricing things there. So it'll be priced as a premium product for marketing reasons (if for no other reason).

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

So they copied the touch controller. If the ergonomics are good, I'm fine with that. The grip button looks good. They ditched the useless track pad and hopefully gave the stick a comfortable position. If it feels like the Touch, I'd consider that a win.

EDIT: Just noticed it's got the side cameras that were rumored. Nice.

2nd EDIT: Probably new thread worthy. This is clearly WMR 2 and that's pretty exciting.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
This is kind of what I wanted Rift S to be. A better audio solution and physical IPD adjust at around $5-$600 (price still unknown). As someone who's owned both Rift and Rift S I think I would have preferred a halo fit though.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Have like another two months of waiting for the Index so it would be cool to have alternatives.

Mamut sells grips that let you do this with Touch. People speak highly of them. Decent chance someone will make add-ons for this.

There are plenty of options. I got some for 10 bucks and they work great.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
Is that enough cameras for inside-out tracking? 😬😬

It's the same setup as the Quest and I haven't heard complaints about its tracking. The Rift S has one additional camera facing up but I don't know how much of a difference it makes.

edit- it's also double the amount of cameras on existing WMR HMDs.

Last edited:

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Controller upgrade is literally the touch controls, haha(but uglier, oh well)! If the headset is Index quality and the tracking matches Quest quality and they can keep the price under 600, they might have a winner. If they can somehow match Quest/Rift S price point at 400 bucks (which I highly doubt), then ladies and gentlemen, a new player has entered the fight.

I love most of what Oculus is doing with VR and their dashboard/ecosystem is great, but I do not like Facebook's data gathering stuff or required Facebook account linking for multiplayer. If this is WMR2 and the reference model/base requirements are good, MS might finally be ready to compete. Although I think Facebook will definitely continue to lead innovation for the time being.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Price is going to be key here. I think this will be a replacement for the 2018 model which is currently going for $399.99 so being able to see some big gains in inside out tracking and maintain that price point could be great. Luckily we're only a few days away from finding out.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Cool about what I expected. I hope that they figure out a way to have compatibility with controllers from different types of tracking solutions. Like using the Valve stuff with the WMR stuff would be nice. I want it to get to a point where the headset is as interchangeable as a Computer Monitor.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Guessing Valve's involvement was with the headphones and possibly the strap. Disappointing that the controllers are still built around holding them, but they look better than the current WMR controllers. Just need to see what the specs are.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Goes live in a little over 2 hours.

If HP is really confident in this thing, I expect a Tested video when the NDA expires.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

599.99 (according to MRTV)

Valve designed speakers
Valve designed the lenses

- Same resolution as original Reverb (4320 X 2160)

- Still 90hz. New panels, however. Mura issues with G1 are supposedly gone.

- Sebastian trying his hardest to get them to confirm WMR2. No go.

HP claims they helped design these controllers. Are backwards compatible with WMR1 HMDs. HP will be selling them for people who want to upgrade.

- Face gasket is magnetic like on Valve Index. Material very similar to Index.

- Cable is 6 meters long.

EDIT: No sure why they deleted that tweet.

Here's the link for the pre-order if you want to sign up:

www8.hp.com

HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

The ultra-light, ultra-immersive HP Reverb G2 VR (Virtual Reality) headset delivers a more immersive, comfortable, and compatible experience. Learn more here.

Last edited:

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
www.windowscentral.com

HP Reverb G2 brings four-camera tracking to its next-gen Windows Mixed Reality headset

Valve, Microsoft, and HP have teamed up to make the best Windows Mixed Reality headset ever. Here's why it's so great.

For this year, HP, Valve, and Microsoft brought the following changes to Reverb G2:

• Valve-designed lenses: Valve is bringing its expertise in VR lens making to the Reverb G2, delivering reduced mural, 2160 x 2160 LCD panels per eye at 90Hz. Text and textures are supposed to be more precise with a 114-degree field of view (FOV).
  • Manual IPD adjust: Users can now use a wheel to adjust the interpupillary distance (IPD).
  • Four-camera tracking: two new cameras on the side aide in motion detection and the two front-facing ones. This change gives 1.4x more movement capture over Reverb G1.
  • New controllers: New optimized button layout that more closely resembles a gaming controller. The design is more ergonomic, and is it supposed to be more natural and ergonomic. (Older controllers can be used with Reverb G2, but the new controllers are not backward compatible with Reverb G1.)
  • New headphones: Reverb G2 has built-in headphones like the previous model, but these are newly designed and sit 10mm off the ear for more comfort, making them "more spatial audio ready." HP claims they use its new spatial audio format "anchored in artificial intelligence, new signal processing, and psychoacoustics." The headphones are still removable, too, in case you want to use your own. Microphones are still built-in and unchanged.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
This seems to check all the right boxes except larger FOV. I don't see it as a big enough jump to ditch my Rift S but if I was in the market for a HMD I would be very interested in reviews. The $200 premium over Rift S is a bit much but the Index speakers, physical IPD adjust, and high resolution screen would likely be worth it for me.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely interested and will give it consideration if it releases before my Index pre-order is up. What kind of hardware do you need to run that resolution comfortably?

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I'm definitely interested and will give it consideration if it releases before my Index pre-order is up. What kind of hardware do you need to run that resolution comfortably?

HP claims at full res 90hz it would be similar to the Reverb so 1080/2070. At 1440/1440 mode a 1060 is the target for most applications. Supposed to ship in the fall.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
Most (all?) steam VR games support in-game resolution scaling that should work and look better than actual physical lower resolution panels all other things being equal, so higher physical res is never a reason not to pick a headset even with older VR-compatible cards.
I think tracking and controllers are my two biggest questions on this device. I guess screen / lenses could be bungled, but that actually seems to be on the right track with the collaborations and early impressions.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
If you read the info page it's WMR and Steam VR compatible. Marketing material compares it to the Oculus Rift S. seems like it's designed to go after Facebook and allow MS and Valve to both have stores to support it.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Looks interesting. I'll need to see some honest comparisons to my Rift S before dropping that much down.

DaCocoBrova

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so mad at my Oculus Rift at the moment. Left earphone just stopped working, which is a thing apparently... Does this have a headphone jack on the headset? That's one thing I like about the PSVR compared to the Oculus.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so mad at my Oculus Rift at the moment. Left earphone just stopped working, which is a thing apparently... Does this have a headphone jack on the headset? That's one thing I like about the PSVR compared to the Oculus.

I read some where (not sure it was reliable), that even though you can detach the headphones if you want, you can't actually plug replacements headphones into a headphone jack. If true, that's a bizarre decision on their part.

EDIT: Also, I think the new Oculus headsets don't have that issue. Quest actually has two headphone jacks (can plug into the left or right side) and I've seen people doing mods on Rift S, so they must be plugging into a headphone jack.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I think tracking and controllers are my two biggest questions on this device. I guess screen / lenses could be bungled, but that actually seems to be on the right track with the collaborations and early impressions.

The controls are going to be OK at best. Assuming tracking is decent you are still going to have controllers that lack capacitive sensors and have terrible battery life.

I do have the thing pre-ordered but my Index pre-order should be ready in another week or so and I think I may just end up going with it.