• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
D7DuoebXoAAI0QZ.jpg

D7DvKbAXYAEKXLw.jpg

D7DvUxCWwAAQdL0.jpg

- Plan to expand PS Now to reach 5m+ subs
- Support 1080p and beyond
- Bring PS Now off console, to other devices
- Strengthen content + Marketing plan
- Streaming to play a key role next gen

Via https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1130667046247849985

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
thank god, i still buy a select few titles for steel books and more. Would be a shame to see that go away next gen completely

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's great that streaming will be mandatory for next gen just like digital became mandatory this gen.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
If given the choice, I'll probably stick to downloading. But if it lets me stream while my game is installing, that works too!

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
That would be insane if true but since it isn't supported worldwide I don't see how.
I mean, they could do a big WW rollout for PS Now at the beggining of next gen :p.

I think streaming this gen was like the PS3's digital games. Some games (especially early on) were physical only, but eventually digital became more and more popular until it became the standard for games this gen to release in both formats. I think the same is going to happen with streaming.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
The way they structured the photo almost makes it seem like the 'streaming' version will be a separate purchase. I wonder how they're going to price it, do you have pay for a more expensive deluxe version of the game to get streaming rights with it? Bandwidth and datacenter costs aren't free, I doubt they'll give it free with plus - maybe some kind of premium version of plus will have it.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Until data caps are dropped, the streaming future isnt a reality in the US at least. So Ill stick with digital downloads with some physical for now

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I imagine when you get a physical game you will still download the game from the disc to the SDD, that way it takes advantage of the new systems speed boost

Nov 30, 2017
Hell yes very nice. Hopefully they drop the price of PSNOW. Although i paid 99 for a year.

Ill still download games though and or buy physical.

Special thanks to stadia and Gamepass for lighting a fire under their ass.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I trust streaming services about as far as I can throw Sony HQ, so good news they're keeping discs around. Screw subscription fees.

Hopefully this nonsense becomes the new default tier of PS+ and multiplayer/online stuff becomes free so we don't need to pay for it anymore next gen.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
I'm very aware of its cons, but boy I'm glad I can stay physical for another gen. I'm old fashioned.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As much as some folk here are against it, it is inevitable

By the time it gets really good, it'll be the standard
I think I'd be more excited about it if we weren't also witnessing massive consolidation in media. To think that we're hurtling towards a future where none of us physically possess or own games and are totally at the whim of increasingly omnipotent megacorporations... It's fucking grim if you ask me.

But yeah it's also going to be really convenient and far more accessible than current models, especially projects like Stadia. It's going to be genuinely cool for lots of people.

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'd be more excited about it if we weren't also witnessing massive consolidation in media. To think that we're hurtling towards a future where none of us physically possess or own games and are totally at the whim of increasingly omnipotent megacorporations... It's fucking grim if you ask me.

But yeah it's also going to be really convenient and far more accessible than current models, especially projects like Stadia. It's going to be genuinely cool for lots of people.
Well physical media will probably never completely go away, at least not for a long time. It'll just appeal more and more to a smaller niche. I mean, we still have CDs being sold and even vinyl records, despite music and, for DVDs and Blu-Rays, movies being much better suited for streaming and downloaded than gaming

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well physical media will probably never completely go away, at least not for a long time. It'll just appeal more and more to a smaller niche. I mean, we still have CDs being sold and even vinyl records, despite music and, for DVDs and Blu-Rays, movies being much better suited for streaming and downloaded than gaming
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how physical media for games persists even as digital options take over and dominate. I wonder if we'll see the same niches we see for current retro platforms, vinyl, etc. As far as new games go, I won't be surprised if in two "generations" (what does that even mean now?) physical media will be completely gone.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
As it fucking should be.

Give us choices, don't take them away.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Would someone like games next gen to be on cartridges (like Switch) instead of Blu-Ray?
What would be the advantages and disadvantages if that heppened?

Also, has Blu Ray capacity increased? Games like RDR 2 came in two discs already. Will new Blurays have more storage?

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how physical media for games persists even as digital options take over and dominate. I wonder if we'll see the same niches we see for current retro platforms, vinyl, etc. As far as new games go, I won't be surprised if in two "generations" (what does that even mean now?) physical media will be completely gone.
I can only cross my fingers that we can still physically buy games and maybe even not need to install everything from the disc on to the system in the future. I'd imagine the biggest releases might still keep physical media but the more niche or smaller games might go fully digital by then. I suppose it all depends on whether or not people are mostly buying digital games as opposed to physical ones by then

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Agree, but this is probably the last generation for physical media. And maybe even the last generation at all given all of the upcoming streaming services.
Yes. I can sense the end of my time with this hobby.

Gotta enjoy this last ride.

P.S Unless Nintendo sticks with carts for Switch 2 haha.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
There we go!

I'm very aware of its cons, but boy I'm glad I can stay physical for another gen. I'm old fashioned.
Yup, glad to have it at least one more time.

Imagine I'll likely have a mix of everything similar to this gen with mostly physical for full priced stuff and especially for lots of day-1 stuff and limited editions, and digital mostly when there are sales or stuff where's there's no choice like some of the smaller games that have already been digital only.

Nov 5, 2017
Man...this has me tempted into buying a PS5, and I am a PC gamer exclusively. Downloading games exclusively on PC is a real chore and if Sony is still offering physical media as a means to get started on downloading games instead of downloading 100GB+ of the game and then downloading another 30GB+ for Day 1 patch, I would rather use discs...

Why can't PC games use discs too???

Oct 26, 2017
Man...this has me tempted into buying a PS5, and I am a PC gamer exclusively. Downloading games exclusively on PC is a real chore and if Sony is still offering physical media as a means to get started on downloading games instead of downloading 100GB+ of the game and then downloading another 30GB+ for Day 1 patch, I would rather use discs...

Why can't PC games use discs too???
You'd need to install all of those games on the PS5 as well. They'd just be downloaded entirely from the disc to the system as opposed to being downloaded online. No less a pain in the ass