• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it would be fun to give some predictions for the upcoming next generation of consoles. Console launches are right there next to E3 as one of the most exciting times to be a gamer. I used to love the prediction episodes of the old podcast beyond so its slightly informed by that. Lets predict the whole year for next gen, from the reveal event all the way to launch.

Here are mine for the Playstation 5 : D

I predict that Sony will hold a playstation meeting In February like they did for the ps4 back in 2013. There we will get announcements for all of the launch, or launch window games. In this case being; demons souls, Ratchet and clank, a free-to-play kill-zone multiplayer game, an open world racing game to compete with forza horizon. Horizon zero dawn 2, and a new IP from japan studio that will be made to show off an aspect of the ps5 hardware that the ps4 couldn't do, Like knack did with its particle effects.

They will also announce that the ps5 is fully backwards compatible with your current ps4 library, and that all recent first party games including gt sport will recieve ps5 enhanced patches that will be ready for launch. Some third parties will also offer ps5 upgrades for games like Call-of-duty, doom eternal, cyberpunk, re3make, destiny, fortnite, control, and possibly final fantasy 7 remake. Ubi softs recently delayed 2020 titles will also recieve next gen enhancements, including assassins creed: kingdoms (beyond good and evil 2 will be next gen exclusive, I think.). The box art for those games might say ps4 and ps5 on them, like certain backward compatible 360 games Do now.

after that news will be quiet but all eyes will turn towards E3. This is when both sony and microsoft both bring their A Games, as they battle for our wallets. I imagine it will be here where we see announcements for god of war: ragnarok spider-man 2, a teaser for naughty dogs next title, ff7 remake part 2, gran turismo 7, and bloodborne 2 amongst other new ip's from sony's first party. Here is where we will also see the trailer for blue point's next remake, which im convinced will be metal gear solid as a co-funded project between sony and Konami.

The PS5 will come out on november 15th 2020, shortly after microsoft launches project scarlett. It will sell out, particularly so close to black Friday, and will be hard to get your hands on until early 2021. There will be controversy over sony's new propriatary memory solution, and third parties will attempt to make their own that inevitably Harms the console in some way.

anyway thats it for me! I Havent even begun thinking about scarlets launch yet. But i will try to come up with some predictions for that too!

Dec 28, 2017
My prediction is that next box will be more powerful than ps5 and will hit the markets after ps5 release. I hope that on the next gen consoles will see a new elder scrolls game and maybe new RDR games - Hosea the main protagonist.

OP
OP
Secretofmateria

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My prediction is that next box will be more powerful than ps5 and will hit the markets after ps5 release. I hope that on the next gen consoles will see a new elder scrolls game and maybe new RDR games - Hosea the main protagonist.

your in luck! Bethesda announced in 2018 that the elder scrolls 6 is in development for next gen hardware as we speak!

Oct 27, 2017
PS5: February 2020

$399, 11/6/2020 (or 11/13)
8 cores @3.2Ghz, 18GB GDDR6, 1TB SSD, 64GB RERAM, 10TFs ($50ish loss per unit)

Bluepoint's Remake as launch title (Demon Souls? THPS?GTa3?), with Tsushima as cross gen, BG&E2 (cross gen) Batman (cross gen), RE3 (cross), and Assassins Creed Vikings (next gen). Horizon 2, Spider Man 2, GT7 (Sport 2) in 2021.

Xbox: May 2020

$399, 11/20/2020
8 cores @3.4Ghz, 18GB GDDR6, 1TB SSD, 10TFs ($30ish loss per unit due to no RERAM)

Halo Infinite (cross gen) as main launch title, maybe one Killer Instinct level title, all third party multiplats as Ps5. Perfect Dark and Fable reboots in 2021. Maybe a new Forza Motorsport at launch, not Horizon.

OP
OP
Secretofmateria

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS5: February 2020

$399, 11/6/2020 (or 11/13)
8 cores @3.2Ghz, 18GB GDDR6, 1TB SSD, 64GB RERAM, 10TFs ($50ish loss per unit)

Bluepoint's Remake as launch title (Demon Souls? THPS?GTa3?), with Tsushima as cross gen, BG&E2 (cross gen) Batman (cross gen), RE3 (cross), and Assassins Creed Vikings (next gen). Horizon 2, Spider Man 2, GT7 (Sport 2) in 2021.

Xbox: May 2020

$399, 11/20/2020
8 cores @3.4Ghz, 18GB GDDR6, 1TB SSD, 10TFs ($30ish loss per unit due to no RERAM)

Halo Infinite (cross gen) as main launch title, maybe one Killer Instinct level title, all third party multiplats as Ps5. Perfect Dark and Fable reboots in 2021. Maybe a new Forza Motorsport at launch, not Horizon.

hmm, you think they are gonna push 399? I've been thinking 5 but short term loss for long term gains could prove to be successful

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I predict Sony will drop physical disc licenses a la og Xbox One plan. They're only confirmed there will be physical media and not that it will work like it has this generation. Microsoft could use it against them like Sony did but they won't as they want the same thing.

Both $499
About the same power
PS5 better ssd speeds and install times
Xbox better Raytracing setup
Xbox more feature rich backwards compatibility with machine learning asset upgrades.
Nintendo teases a safe but more powerful Switch for 2021.
2k still won't invest in NBA 2k dedicated servers.

Oct 27, 2017
hmm, you think they are gonna push 399? I've been thinking 5 but short term loss for long term gains could prove to be successful
Sony has a big loss forecasted for that fiscal year. And the price/performance comments both have made lean just as much towards cheaper as expensive

sony isn't likely to go above $399, and they can make a really powerful machine for $450 and sell at a loss.

SSDs don't cost as much as many think, likely $40-50 for PC part makers, sold at 2-3x profit, around $100-$130 for 1TB. Max $60 cost to make. Console makers can get a good discount since they can order 50-100M more than PC part makers

and I think GDDR6 is like $7-$10 per chip, so 16-18GB should be doable around $100-give or take

UHD is old and about same cost as BR, the APU May cost more than the $100 consoles had in 2013 but I don't think too much more.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
PS5 announcement Feb/March 2020
Announced release date Nov 2020
Huge focus on backwards compadability and playing PS4 titles better on PS5 (Load times, 4K/60 ect) lots of 3rd parties and early 2020 games like FFVIIR and TLoU
Price 499

E3 focus on games. Huge blowout of first party titles up until Holiday 2021. Games list includes

GT7, Horizon Zero Dawn 2, God of War 2, Spider-Man 2, Studio Japan project, Bluepoint project plus a few select 3rd parties

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I really don't think we'll see any sort of proprietary expandable storage for PS5. Sony isn't that dumb when small, fast nvme SSDs are a thing.