• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
A game releasing in 2021 won't have a PS5 version but a PS4 version "patched" for PS5?

Yes, it will release on PS4 and will get patched for PS5, just like Avengers game and Cyberpunk 2077 and many other games.

Same for D4. I don't like that.

I expect Diablo 4 too will do the same, it's kinda smarter for some devs to release some games on the current-gen consoles due to their install base then patch them for next-gen thanks to BC.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There will also be some next gen remasters though, I can see a Cyberpunk 2077 for PS5.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
There will also be some next gen remasters though, I can see a Cyberpunk 2077 for PS5.

In their GDC talk they talked about how they gonna support next-gen consoles, tbh with BC , I don't think they need another release or remasters. CDProjektRED are amazing and they will mostly do an update on next-gen and not resell the same game again.
I don't rule out some remasters or remakes of old games though but in this case where games with engine that are scalable and can support next-gen they don't need to redo remasters and re-releases.
Think of PCs, these consoels are doing the same now with similar architecture and BC, from base to mid-gen to next-gen, it's just upgrading the harwdare like on PC, you don't need to rebuy the same game each time you get a newer and stronger PC.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Why would people expect a true PS5 version of the game? Wouldn't that require reworking almost the entire game for the PS5?

I don't see any reason for games with scalable engines like UE4 or Cyberpunk 2077 to require releasing a dedicated PS5 version of their PS4 and PS4 Pro builds especially that PS5 will have BC and just requires some graphical tweaks and updates to make the game look better with max settings. Unless of course some would like to get more money which is not cool and user friendly.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would people expect a true PS5 version of the game? Wouldn't that require reworking almost the entire game for the PS5?

Not a true PS5 version, just something like the bump GTAV got between gens.

Better character models, more foliage, denser traffic and pedestrians, better geometry etc.

That's not counting next gen possible features like ray tracing or taking advantage of the SSD.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Not a true PS5 version, just something like the bump GTAV got between gens.

Better character models, more foliage, denser traffic and pedestrians, better geometry etc.

That's not counting next gen possible features like ray tracing or taking advantage of the SSD.

They don't need a dedicated PS5 version for that releases separately, before it was swallowable because PS4 doesn't have BC with PS3 games but now this won't be acceptable at all and this will go against every marketing they will have to promote BC.
This won't be diffeernt from supporting mid-gen consoles with updates or PC versions with higher specs and settings, just an update and you will be done.
They won't be doing a remake from scratch after all. That is anotehr story.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well okay, if a patch can do all that stuff then I guess there's no need for any remasters.

Oct 25, 2017
I figured all it would take is a patch too. How much could be improved (something that is on par with a remaster level) with just a patch?

I guess we'll just have to see how it is handled.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i think pro consoles kinda normalized the idea that upgraded versions should be free patches, at the very least those that focus on improved resolutions and framerates.

if a developer goes above and beyond in their next generation upgrade and adds a lot of high end effects, ray tracing etc. maybe they could get away with charging money for it (or you could just be rockstar i guess and get away with it either way regardless of how much work goes into it).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if it is just boosts to frame and resolution, a free patch makes sense.

I don't know about patches for a full upgrade with all the bells and whistles added. I could definitely see something like a $9.99 upgrade patch for that.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
i think pro consoles kinda normalized the idea that upgraded versions should be free patches, at the very least those that focus on improved resolutions and framerates.

if a developer goes above and beyond in their next generation upgrade and adds a lot of high end effects, ray tracing etc. maybe they could get away with charging money for it (or you could just be rockstar i guess and get away with it either way regardless of how much work goes into it).

Yeah, if it is just boosts to frame and resolution, a free patch makes sense.

I don't know about patches for a full upgrade with all the bells and whistles added. I could definitely see something like a $9.99 upgrade patch for that.

Some PS4 games didn't just improve resolution and FPS but aslo added multiple graphical effects and upgraded them and they didn't charge for them. Please we don't need to give them such ideas beacuse this can't be justified especially that such graphical features are available in their game engine itself, otehrwise we should start talking about paying to get higher settings even on high end PCs too, if you get one, so not only we pay for a better hardware (stronger PC/ next-gen console) but also for having higher settings.
It's true we got remasters this gen but they barely added something crucial and I don't think they should have been fully charged tbh. If it's a full 100% remake then I don't mind it especially if it is excellent but pâying for just higher settings is not welcome and justified.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Some PS4 games didn't just improve resolution and FPS but aslo added multiple graphical effects and upgraded them and they didn't charge for them. Please we don't need to give them such ideas beacuse this can't be justified especially that such graphical features are available in their game engine itself, otehrwise we should start talking about paying to get higher settings even on high end PCs too, if you get one, so not only we pay for a better hardware (stronger PC/ next-gen console) but also for having higher settings.
It's true we got remasters this gen but they barely added something crucial and I don't think they should have been fully charged tbh. If it's a full 100% remake then I don't mind it especially if it is excellent but pâying for just higher settings is not welcome and justified.
there was a reason why i said "going above and beyond" before mentioning adding effects, i mean going a lot further into the improvements than any pro patch we had so far, i am talking about an upgrade that really changes the game world visually

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
there was a reason why i said "going above and beyond" before mentioning adding effects, i mean going a lot further into the improvements than any pro patch we had so far, i am talking about an upgrade that really changes the game world visually

I don't think any upgrade they will offer for PS5 will go beyond the max settings of PC versions which are free to toggle if you have the right hardware, unless they will have some new dedicated effects or features that will justify this to be called a remaster to charge for them or even sell the game separately.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So I just saw the RTX PC version of COD Modern Warfare on Digital Foundry.

The ray traced shadows in MW looks very similar to what I saw in that PS5 game. I would say the quality was very close, just on a much larger scale.

Thank you for the relief my friend, what is staggering me through this whole generation that we still have some flickering blocky pixelated shadows in games like COD eve on mid-gen consokes that sometimes look worse than PS2 shadows.
It is a relief that the sahdows will be correct on PS5. I hope the reflections are higher samples too and ray traced iin the game you saw. I recall you talking about high quality offs-creen reflections too which means they are ray traced.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Did you also notice any ray traced reflections or was ray tracing limited to shadows.

Read my post above, iirc he talked about reflected off-screen objects on a bridge on waters.
Reflected off screen objects means they are ray traced. watch this video to udnerstand it:

He talked about what seems to be dynamic GI with dynamic TOD iirc.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Did you also notice any ray traced reflections or was ray tracing limited to shadows.

Definitely ray traced shadows AND reflections.

This game honestly looks better than COD MW on a 2080ti.....in fact, if you had no idea what hardware it was running on, you would think it was a 2080ti.

Guys, games are about to get crazy looking, very soon.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
So with Blizzcon going and the announcement that Diablo IV is coming - but not even Blizz soon - and yet no mention of developing for next gen consoles. One mention was that they developed for what they have, but really? These guys don't have Dev kits? Or is it simply too early to say you are developing for next gen, or they just prefer making sure it runs on the lowest common denominator? All of the above?

not like I was expecting a visual feast but damn, I am a bit surprised with how they handled it.
Sony hasn't announced a single PS5 game and Microsoft has only announced Halo. I'm sure they've told publishers to keep lips sealed on next generation stuff.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
So I just saw the RTX PC version of COD Modern Warfare on Digital Foundry.

The ray traced shadows in MW looks very similar to what I saw in that PS5 game. I would say the quality was very close, just on a much larger scale.

Nice, just watched that video and I'm excited that besides the obvious graphics jump next gen, we'll get more realistic shadows thanks to ray tracing which adds another layer to the visuals/realism besides just the basic improvements.

Graphics bump + ray tracing + HDR (hopefully devs get the hang of this) + faster world rendering thanks to the SSDs = :O

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Definitely ray traced shadows AND reflections.

This game honestly looks better than COD MW on a 2080ti.....in fact, if you had no idea what hardware it was running on, you would think it was a 2080ti.

can february be here already so i'll see next gen games for myself.
i need to see horizon 2 on next gen decima

and really exciting details klee.
you said the game was running at native 4k and aiming for 30fps too right?

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Read my post above, iirc he talked about reflected off-screen objects on a bridge on waters.
Reflected off screen objects means they are ray traced. watch this video to udnerstand it:

He talked about what seems to be dynamic GI with dynamic TOD iirc.

So imagine you are doing a slow flyby along a river under a medieval-looking stone bridge during the day and you are seeing:

1-Dynamic and totally accurate-looking water reflections

2-Life-like super bright HDR highlights

3-Secondary environment reflections highlighted on wet stone and realistic moss

4-Volumetric, low hanging fog which realistically distorts the ray traced reflections when viewed through it in certain instances

It blew my fucking socks off

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So imagine you are doing A slow flyby under a medieval looking stone bridge during the day and you are seeing:

1-Dynamic and totally accurate looking water reflections

2-Life -like super bright HDR highlights

4-Volumetric, low hanging fog which realistically distorts of the ray traced reflectionswhen viewed through it in certain instances

Wow UE4 on next-gen is basically UE5.
:D

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
So imagine you are doing a slow flyby along a river under a medieval-looking stone bridge during the day and you are seeing:

1-Dynamic and totally accurate-looking water reflections

2-Life-like super bright HDR highlights

4-Volumetric, low hanging fog which realistically distorts of the ray traced reflectionswhen viewed through it in certain instances

Was it running on a dev kit or PC spec?

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks Klee, all that sounds amazing but for some people here "to good to be true."

I cant wait to see PS5/Scarlet games in motion.

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
PlayStation 5 dev kit I was told
Thanks Klee, you are the main reason I am reading this thread a couple of times a day ^^
When do you expect Sony or Microsoft to unveil them like for example back in 2013 when they had that PS Meeting in February?

I was and am convinced that they really pushed Last of Us 2 back to be able to unveil PS5 in February AND having e3 for a second Blow out like in 2013y

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Thanks Klee, you are the main reason I am reading this thread a couple of times a day ^^
When do you expect Sony or Microsoft to unveil them like for example back in 2013 when they had that PS Meeting in February?

I was and am convinced that they really pushed Last of Us 2 back to be able to unveil PS5 in February AND having e3 for a second Blow out like in 2013y
I hate to say this but my gut tells me you will not see anything of Xbox Scarlett or PlayStation 5 this year.

I would think sometime before E3 2020, though....

Keep in mind,I have absolutely no insight on this. Just a hunch.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Yeah I think so.

To be fair, though, I feel as if we are also just beginning to scratch the surface of what is possible on RTX as well.
i remember reading somewhere a few months back how NVidia's API for RT is made ot be easier to implement as its more like an add on to the engine rather than designing it from the engine itself, which hurts the potential performance, i wonder if this footage you saw might be using a more deeply ingrained ray tracing method to the engine to maximize the performance.

I hate to say this but my gut tells me you will not see anything of Xbox Scarlett or PlayStation 5 this year.

i still fully expect a PS5 reveal in februrary or possibly january, because of destination playstation event.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
i remember reading somewhere a few months back how NVidia's API for RT is made ot be easier to implement as its more like an add on to the engine rather than designing it from the engine itself, which hurts the potential performance, i wonder if this footage you saw might be using a more deeply ingrained ray tracing method to the engine to maximize the performance.

i still fully expect a PS5 reveal in februrary or possibly january, because of destination playstation event.
I disagree. They're being cautious about events now. Past two e3s have been miserable for them. I don't think it's a guarantee, especially when the new features of next gen aren't as tangible as previous generations

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018

I'd think Sony would do a repeat of last time and have something early next year. I guess we'll see.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Sony hasn't announced a single PS5 game and Microsoft has only announced Halo. I'm sure they've told publishers to keep lips sealed on next generation stuff.
Possibly this is the reason. It has crossed my mind. That said, we have heard claims from prominent devs of working on next gen dev kits already.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Also

Just for perspective's sake, I think a big reason the implementation of ray tracing on the demo I saw looks so good is because the studio got documentation early on that ray tracing hardware would be included Next-gen and built the game around it.

Other than maybe COD MW, none of the RTX games currently available were designed from the ground up with Ray Tracing in mind.

Just thought I should point this out.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Also

Just for perspective's sake, I think a big reason the implementation of ray tracing on the demo I saw looks so good is because the studio got documentation early on that ray tracing hardware would be included Next-gen and built the game around it.

Other than maybe COD MW, none of the RTX games currently available were designed from the ground up with Ray Tracing in mind.

Should be promising for first party games early on with 3rd party getting going later with the more in depth implementations.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
source.gif

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Also

Yes UE4 is really throwing anchors for next-gen perspective with RT and chaos engine already available to use for quite some time now by anyone. You also talked about massive destruction and very detaield too. It must be the chaos engine.

let's sum things up:

- biggest open world game to date
- very davanced details with intricate details in clothes and cloth physics
- RT shadows, RT reflections, possible dynamic GI too
- lush and condensed foliage
- massive destruction and advanced physics
- Native 4K.
- Not running on final PS5 devkit and hardware and still not optimised yet
Am I missing something else?

PS5 is just a beast.
PS5 (from where it was showcased)

Last edited:

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017

Hmmm. I didn't know that. I don't have any insight into the performance or inner workings of RT on Navi-based hardware, but I will say it's doesn't look tacked on or "in your face"

The lighting in general in this game gave the environment and everything in it a really really "Grounded" look to it. Much less "Gamey" than games I've seen before, if that makes sense.

To be totally honest, what I am most excited for is a future ray traced Forza fucking Horizon 5.

I'm sure I will shit my pants with that one.

Last edited:

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Yes UE4 is really throwing anchors for next-gen perspective with RT and chaos engine already available to use for quite some time now by anyone. You also talked about massive destruction and very detaield too. It must be the chaos engine.

let's sum things up:

- biggest open world game to date
- very davanced details with intricate details in clothes and cloth physics
- RT shadows, RT, possible dynamic GI too
- lush and condensed foliage
- massive destruction and advanced physics
- Native 4K.
- Not running on final PS5 devkit and hardware and still not optimised yet
Am I missing something else?

PS5 is just a beast.
PS5 (from where it was showcased)

Yep, pretty much.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Hmmm. I didn't know that. I don't have any insight into the performance or inner workings of RT on Navi-based hardware, but I will say it's doesn't look tacked on or "in your face"

The lighting in general in this game gave the environment and everything in it a really really "Grounded" look to it. Much less "Game" than games I've seen before.

To be totally honest, I am most excited for is a future ray traced Forza fucking Horizon 5.

I'm sure I will shit my pants with that one.
i was referring more to the API tools they give to the developers, rather than the hardware functions.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017

While COD:MW indeed looks great, Control remains the best optimized game for RT. They added it all, and [shiny and reflective] gameworld takes full advantage of it.
www.youtube.com

Control PC: Ray Tracing's Killer App? Plus: Full Xbox One X vs PC Comparison!

Alex returns with a deep dive into Remedy's amazing Control. Is this the most fully featured ray tracing game yet available? Does Nvidia's RTX line finally h...

Status
Not open for further replies.